Electric cars and fishing

steve2

Reaction score
Just a thought, with some MP’s pushing to bring forward date to faze out petrol and diesel cars how would owning an electric car affect your fishing.
Does anyone own an electric car?
Have you asked your club about putting charging points in the club car park?
Would you restrict your journeys to just local waters?

I know that we are talking about 14 years time and it seems a long way off but it seems like only yesterday I retired but it is now 12 years ago. But I do hope to still be fishing in 14 years time.

floatfish

Reaction score
Hybrid petrol cars would be more practicable. At present Pure Electric cars just
don't have the round trip range for anything other than fairly short trips.
Cannot see fishing clubs or even Commercials going to the expense of installing charging points on venues. How many cars would they need to cover.?
Plus what would that cost do to a days fishing.?
May well come to pass in years to come,but we will all be old and grey before
it becomes a daily way of travel.

rich66

Reaction score
I honestly will avoid having an electric car in its present form for as long as possible.
I don’t believe that the environmental cost of the batteries can at this moment in time be worth it.
Can’t see any club being able to afford to put charging points in, unless it was free to install and some sort of payment meter.
We as a country will have to invest a huge amount of money and time into charging points and electricity production before we get to 2040 or whenever the date is and I can’t see that happening anytime soon.

I’d hoped that the hydrogen cell would have had a better reception.

thecrow

Reaction score
Hybrid petrol cars would be more practicable

I have one, they are not all the manufacturers make them out to be although in the real world they are better proposition than an all electric car that weighs 5 tons and will only travel to the shops and back :).

Manufacturers millage figures for the electric car should in imo be taken with an even larger pinch of salt than the ones for petrol/diesel, the ones for my hybrid are 76 mph combined actual is around 55.

There is also the degradation of the batteries to consider how they will be disposed of and the price of new ones, even top end electric cars such as Tesla are having problems with their vehicles.

john step

Reaction score
I have often wondered why electric cars do not have built in solar panels on the roof, bonnet etc. They would be able to charge up when stationary and extend the battery capability/distance.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm quite sure they will have made electric cars already that charge themselves as they move, just as a normal petrol or diesel engine charges it's battery. Obviously a larger servo to charge the battery on an all electric car.
The government will want everyone to buy the hybrids etc now and then they can bring out the all electric self charging cars.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have often wondered why electric cars do not have built in solar panels on the roof, bonnet etc. They would be able to charge up when stationary and extend the battery capability/distance.

Found this on the RAC site.

A solar-powered electric car that can recharge itself while being driven is expected to hit the German car market as early as 2019.

Called the Sion, the model has 330 solar cells integrated into its bodywork and can be charged via solar power, conventional electric charging points and even other electric cars.

These solar cells combine to a total area of 7.5 square metres, built into the car’s roof, bonnet and side panels, giving the Sion a unique look.

The model – developed by Munich-based start-up Sono Motors – also features a type of Icelandic moss integrated into the dashboard which naturally filters out dust particles in the air and regulates in-car humidity

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
I have owned a hybrid for the last 5 months, the range on pure EV is around 25 miles, which gets me to my local venues and back without the need for a top up. If going futher afield I can charge the batteries as I'm driving. Between fuel fill ups the most mileage I got was 967 miles on 40 quids worth of fuel. Sure when it gets colder It will use more fuel as the EV range decreases due to colder temps. However no car tax and negligible parts costs, make the hybrid a no brainer. I go to work and use their free charger, so my travel to work and back are free.

However all this is fine if it remains limited to a few thousand EV cars on the road, the biggest problem is what happens when it becomes masses of vehicles, the charging points are totally inadequate, the government really needs to invest in the infrastructure.

steve2

Reaction score
However no car tax and negligible parts costs, make the hybrid a no brainer. I go to work and use their free charger, so my travel to work and back are free.

Just how long will this remain free, some one somewhere is paying for it or will need to pay for it.
The problem with present all electric cars and fishing and I can't see much changing is size and range. What I need is car that will take upto 5 passengers plus luggage over a distance of 500 miles plus between charges or 2 people plus all fishing tackle that us anglers now take.

john step

Reaction score
However all this is fine if it remains limited to a few thousand EV cars on the road, the biggest problem is what happens when it becomes masses of vehicles, the charging points are totally inadequate, the government really needs to invest in the infrastructure.

I wonder if the other problem when the masses have EV is that there will be a need to massively increase the amount of electricity generation. How will that be done ? By coal or nuclear or oil??

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently, a single petrol or diesel pump services hundreds of cars in one day.

Given the length of time it takes to recharge even the most modern batteries then the estimated number of electric charging points (and the parking area to serve them) must be astronomical.

As for angling clubs providing charging points at one of their venues then I see that as highly unlikely as cost and space are both limited unless it is one of the massive clubs

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
THere have already been incidents of power outage because of too many people pluginig in electric cars to charge them when they get home . The Subsidies that are currently being offered to electric vehicle owners are about to END the free charging points are all going to be pay to charge jobs in the very near future .
We are probably 100 years away from what you might be ale to call GOOD power source storage for vehicles .

If Diesel is to be banned then forget your crusies forget jetting away on hols Jet A is diesel in all but name electric HGV artics yea right .
WHEN people stop listening to VW we can get back to some form of normality .
Electric vehicles are also dangerous they are way way too quiet i know of 2 people recently that have been hit by electric cars .

PG ...

mikench

Reaction score
However no car tax and negligible parts costs, make the hybrid a no brainer.

Until more people have them and then you will be clobbered! We do not have the infrastructure, electricity capacity and enough charging points for 50 million electric cars! They remain a novelty for the moment and will remain so until they can power a car for 400 miles or so and be recharged in minutes at home and on the road! Pigs might fly!

Look at the levels of tax revenues derived from fossil fuels generally and petrol and diesel in particular ! What will replace those revenues; you the electric car user will!

thecrow

Reaction score
Where is all this extra electricity that will be required to charge these cars come from? already we are behind targets set for producing it without the use of fossil fuels. I doubt windmills and wave action generators will supply it so it will mean more nuclear plants making radio active waste which will have to be disposed of where? Abroad as much of our rubbish is?

31.3 million cars will need a heck of a lot of energy to charge them all.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I doubt windmills and wave action generators will supply it so it will mean more nuclear plants making radio active waste which will have to be disposed of where? Abroad as much of our rubbish is?

If I remember rightly we have god only knows how much nuclear waste buried in the UK which we willingly took from America. Can you not remember all the protests about it, I think it was the 80's?
I remember seeing the grafiti on all the motorway bridges up and down the M6 in protest against it.
I know they buried loads of the stuff a couple of miles up the road from me in a quarry on a hill ! Great place to bury it, everytime waters runs out from the hill it'll most likely be full of nuclear fall out ffs!
It's ok though no doubt the government officials all got a large cut out of the money the Yanks would have paid them to take on board their nuclear waste, and non of those government scrotes will live near it so they're all fine, they're all loaded with money and laughin their cocks off!

thecrow

Reaction score