Tackle shop visit

steve2

Reaction score
Paid a visit to my local tackle shop yesterday and for the first time ever I came out without buy something.
I tried out new reels, looked at rods, seats, bags even the lures don’t tempt me, my wallet stayed firmly in my pocket.
Have I reached the stage where I finally don’t need anything or will the next visit cure me of this?
When did this last happen to you?

mikench

Reaction score
Yesterday funnily enough save this time I wanted and indeed bought some maggots! I had a look round and apart from seeing a few expensive rods amongst the usual offerings, there was nothing I wanted! An employee of the store (AD) who I like , helped me work out the weight of super stotz and that the numbering was the same as shot sizes!

I buy routine stuff like replacement feeders, hooks and the like online because the store whilst 2miles away can take 25 minutes to get there because of traffic chaos in the area!

It beats going to Sainsbury's though!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah but they don’t sell mild cheddar cheese, extra large eggs and Apothic red wine.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
The bulk of my fishing this year has been fly and lure and the local shops just don't stock the items I want so I've been forced into buying off the internet. I like the idea of supporting the local independent tackle shop but apart from the small purchases of line etc it's just not happened this year, I've visited more than once and bought nothing.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I suppose I must have but I cant honestly remember ever visiting a ts without buying something. My nearest is now a good 20 min drive for me and parking near the shop is a nightmare so I only really go when there is something specific that I need....or think I need.

nottskev

Reaction score
Even though there's lots of water where I live, it's hard to find the kind of fishing I like (traditional mixed fishing, minimal rules, old or "natural" waters) so I drove out 14 miles to a tackle shop in a small town.

I asked about the waters on a local club's card, and the owner of the shop, an active and well-informed angler, talked to me for the best part of 20 minutes (someone else served any customers who came in) about the what's, where's and how's of the local fishing. I came out much better informed, and I'm off now to scout out a couple of places.

I didn't really need anything, but I bought a few items from the small but well-chosen stock that I'd need to replace eventually. You can't get this type of service mail-order, or even, in my experience, from the regional angling supermarkets, and I'll call in again occasionally, even if there are cheaper or more convenient options.

rayner

Reaction score
I'm surrounded with tackle shops, there are half a dozen that I have used one time or another.
I use the same one every time I need something.
Winter is when I stock up with things like feeders and other terminal tackle. It's a time when tackle shops generally are quiet so every sale they make is more appreciated. I also stock up with ground baits and pellets.
Even times I don't fish I buy dead maggots for my freezer. I buy a few pinkies for the birds.
If every angler who like me avoids bad weather in the cold would buy a few packets of hooks or other sundries your tackle shop would appreciate your custom.

iain t

Reaction score
I popped into my local angling shop on Monday. Had a good look around but nothing tempted me. In the end, i walked out with just 4 Kg of cooked Hemp. Even my trolling through pages and pages of eBay listing hasn't tempted me.
This has never happened I've always had items coming through the letterbox each day. After 50 years of angling have i come to terms that i have everything i need?.
I see a visit to a nut doctor on the cards very soon.

Keith M

Reaction score
I suffer from tackle-itus where I can’t seem to go into a tackle shop without buying a couple of packets of hooks even if I don’t really need them, and if the shop has a good selection of traditional wagglers then I will find myself buying five or six of them as well.

You can guarantee that if I really needed something then the shop wouldn’t have any left on the shelf, but I will still end up leaving the shop with some un-needed hooks or floats.

Im getting better though as it used to be un-needed rods or reels that I used to buy.:)

Keith

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
What I'm very bad at is making a list of items I need, before going. Inevitably, I either forget something or end up buying, for example, the wrong size hooks to nylon (which is what happened last time) so I now have eight packs of size 20 but running short of 18's.
On occasion, I can be found pacing the TS isles in what can only be described as a mild form of panic, in the hope that something will catch my eye and all will end well......

barbelboi

Reaction score
the store whilst 2miles away can take 25 minutes to get there because of traffic chaos in the area!

The closest 'tackle shop' is a corner of the 'local' country store (horse feed, saddles and all that) that also sell some top class maggots plus the usual odds and $ods. It's 12 miles away but only takes about 15 minutes down the lanes (that's if I don't stop at one of the other village hospitality houses on the way)..........

PS I never buy anything apart from maggots/casters and hemp................

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I don't mind looking around tackle shops and not buying, it used to be pole floats I came out with . The intention being come bad weather I will make some pole rigs up, I have around 60 stood up in rows like soldiers on parade on a polystyrene block in my tackle shed,waiting to be made up. I have the winders, line,shotting tube,dosapiombo, and various hooks ready to do them, but not the inclination. I may have to make some up but take them to a club water and shot them up on there, It is easier in a way to do that, I wont have my wife chirping on about dropped shot and hooks going on the carpet, I have used the same shop as @Mikench, but I spent more in the Deli across from it on its pies and sausage rolls. The sausage rolls are like mini rod tubes in size , good pastry and well filled. Nearly as good as a shop near me.

ieh

Reaction score
My nearest shop is 10 miles or so away, and that's a sideline to a cycle shop. I do try to buy bait there when I can. Other than that it's 25 miles to a tackle shop and 25 miles back again. :(

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I must be lucky, We have 2 good shops in Warrington, one is 5 minute walk the other 10 minute drive, Also I have 3 with a 20 minute drive and the one @mikench uses at about 30 minutes, All are well stocked,staff are knowledgeable, and I get discount in a couple of them. I have a Go Outdoors in Warrington as well, that is ideal for last minute purchase of pellets and groundbait if I need any and have forgotten to get some to keep my bait containers stocked ( medium plastic boxes with cliplock lids. )
I am going to Accrington soon to a terraced house that has been converted into a 2nd had tackle emporium, both upstairs and down, Retro seatboxes such as Brilo, ASI, Platforms UK have been sold for around £40. I have enough seatboxes, its going to be a mooch for older Daiwa and Shimano rods,

Reaction score
I tend to only go for a specific item these days,hooks,boilies,odd accessories,so the tackle shop doesn't like me a lot these days,years ago they'd be rubbing they're hands together,nowadays I have more quality tackle than the shops I have locally...

aeroken1

Reaction score
The Tackle shop i use is on the Wirral, Its called Parkfield and my god its great. If you live only an hour or 2 away from here then its well worth the visit. You can even fish there as they have a small lake full of all sorts. I know they are on Facebook and internet. Well worth a gander. Oh and by the way the prices are fantastic, i would be shocked to hear you can get stuff cheaper anywhere.

JONM14

Reaction score
Stevens Tackle in Netherton for me. I drop in if i need anything as he has a decent range. I like my Preston gear and he has a decent stock. Not very often I leave empty handed. Always helpful and makes sure you get the best value for your budget. Always find something for christmas or birthdays for the wife to buy me.