QM1 hooks

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We will convert a few but in the meantime you ,me John and Dave will have it to ourselves!

Yeph, when this shitty winter weather hits and fishing is put on hold we'll be able to go and pre bait our tanks :cool: :rolleyes:.

Philip

Reaction score
It's amazing how something the size of your little finger nail, if that, attached to line of .010 m diameter( or thereabouts!) can cause such discussion and heated exchanges!

It did take a couple of rather large logs chucked on there to get it going. Now its run to 9 pages when it was destined to be 2 max & with Thomas Turner plastered on every page I recon he owes me royalties.
tongue.png

One irritating loose end, I hesitate to mention as the thread seems to have run its course but what the heck I will…

Most people I imagine would agree for a self-hooking rig its best to have the hook at an angle to give the hook the best possible chance of turning & pricking the fishes mouth. Yet when we fish a spade end hook its deemed better to have the hook whipped as straight as possible to the line.

Seems rather odd.

The fact we are striking or self-hooking both entail the line being pulled tight and the hook needing to find a hold so are spade end users handicapping themselves by fishing the hook in an inferior hooking position in their quest for perfect presentation ?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Philip I am lost for words! Fishing is meant to be a form of relaxation for dim witted older guys like me so i will keep it that way! I'm happy as i am! You will be formidable as an adult!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Ok,I'll nibble Philip,when float fishing,or using a bait covering the hook,self booking isn't really an option,ie your not going to be able to use a very buoyant float to set the hook,or enough lead,which let's be fair would probably need to be 1.5/2ozs minimum,so struck we must,also many species don't get caught as much on self hooking rigs,chub, roach,rudd,dace and perch,match anglers use eyed hooks for carp,barbel and bream,either with hard baits,or feeder vor lead rigs that need it,it's not simply the go to method that it has become for carp anglers,who use hair rigs or variants of it for everything,it is only a method,a good one yes,but not the only one in the book.

Philip

Reaction score
Ok,I'll nibble Philip,when float fishing,or using a bait covering the hook,self booking isn't really an option,ie your not going to be able to use a very buoyant float to set the hook,or enough lead,which let's be fair would probably need to be 1.5/2ozs minimum,so struck we must,also many species don't get caught as much on self hooking rigs,chub, roach,rudd,dace and perch,match anglers use eyed hooks for carp,barbel and bream,either with hard baits,or feeder vor lead rigs that need it,it's not simply the go to method that it has become for carp anglers,who use hair rigs or variants of it for everything,it is only a method,a good one yes,but not the only one in the book.

Nice on Whitty, always good to get a nibble or two as the weather turns cold. ;)

No your mis-understand the point I was making. I am not trying to suggest fishing a self hooking rig. I am simply using them to illiistrate a point;

Its become pretty much accepted that with bolt/self hooking rigs its best to have the hook set at an angle to the line to improve the chances of the hook point nicking in. An element of that is that it helps the hook rotate and flip over as the line tightens.

So the point I am making is why should this be different if we are striking ?

Even when we strike the action is basically the same…we are pulling the line tight in the hope of setting the hook …however when fishing a spade end we are told to whip the hook as straight to the line as possible

So could it be that people fishing spade ends & whipping them to sit straight to the line are also unknowlingly setting their hook at a WORSE angle for the hook point to dig in ?

....In their quest for perfect presentation they are actually handicapping themselves in another way.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Anyone who has fished spade end hooks many thousands of times will tell you that if the angle to the hook is changed through line damage, either a strange angle to the hook or the line in a pig's tail then your hook up rate will plummet and you will put a new correctly tied hook on.

Philip

Reaction score
Anyone who has fished spade end hooks many thousands of times will tell you that if the angle to the hook is changed through line damage, either a strange angle to the hook or the line in a pig's tail then your hook up rate will plummet and you will put a new correctly tied hook on.

Yes thats a fair point but I think what you are describing is a knackered hooklink, it would apply equally for a bolt rig...a hook at a strange angle or with a pigs tail on a self hookig rig I would change as well.

I guess the question here is what is the OPTIMUM position for a hook up and should the fact we are self hooking or striking have a bearing on that ?

shane99

Reaction score
Interesting Shane,I take it you mean that the patterns you speak of do not come in both eyed and spade,which is common,may I ask what patterns/usages you talk of,it is highly probable a very similar hook is available via a different manufacturer,that said hooks are a very personal choice,what suits one,doesn't another...

I mainly fish for Perch with lobworm & these days use the Sakuma 440 circle hooks, before I discovered those I used the Fox drop shot hooks. The gauge/wire is relatively quite fine for the hook size. Both patterns worked for me. I am always looking for pointers whitty so suggest away sir. I have lipped hooked a few eels with the 440's which tells me I am doing my bit to avoid deep hooking Perch which upsets me. I always crush the Barb on both patterns. The 440's are a bitch to get out sometimes if you dont.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I would normally us eyed hooks for lobworm ,and often leave a longer tag on the knot to help hold the work on place(as I often bury the hook as it hooking lugworm).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used both hair rig knots that kick the hook out at an angle and knots such as palomar and uni/grinner knots where the hook hangs straight and self hooking has been exactly the same. If the hook is directly on the hook what difference would having it kick out be anyhow....makes no difference at all.
Very often if legering and putting my bait on the hook I use a spade end and there' never been a problem with hook ups.
It seems to me that the carp angling brigade are constantly making up new rigs and bits of clips, silly tubing, etc etc which in reality make no difference to the actual hook up rate. What they do is get anglers to put their hands in their pockets and pay money for them lol.
Imo a hair rig fished anywhere other than on the deck would be a session killer for species such as roach.....not all fish are equal when it comes to brains.....much like anglers lol.

bullet

Reaction score
Coming back to the loop thing, it's very popular in the tropical fishing scene, for fly, lure and bait. I think the idea is that you are using fairly heavy and stiff leader material most of the time and the loop gives more freedom of movement to the fly/lure/bait. Most seem to use the Rapala Knot.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Coming back to the loop thing, it's very popular in the tropical fishing scene, for fly, lure and bait. I think the idea is that you are using fairly heavy and stiff leader material most of the time and the loop gives more freedom of movement to the fly/lure/bait. Most seem to use the Rapala Knot.

I think your right and maybe that's why it's used by some game anglers over here also.

seth49

Reaction score
Rapala do recommend that you attach there lures with a loop knot, it’s supposed to improve the action of there lures, I have tried it and it does seem work.

Reaction score
For all the talk of hair rigs and they're functionality,qm1 hooks work for them,brilliantly,so if that's what your doing,especially in 14-18's I would suggest you give them a go,if your using baits you can hook on,is maggots,casters, ect carry on.