Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Clocks going back

In my kitchen I have a very old School clock mounted on the wall, quite high up, so it is still showing the “old time” and I will wait for my daughter to come tomorrow so she can change it.

It can get confusing as just a few minutes ago I was in the kitchen making a pot of tea and glanced at the clock and realised it was time to make lunch. So, I cooked a couple of fried eggs and some bacon and got it on the plate before realising it was only 11:30 . . . . . lol

Some years I used to fly to Helsinki several times a year on business and the BA pilot on landing was oft heard to announce, “we have arrived in Helsinki where the clocks go forward by one hour while the calendar goes back 50 years” . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I find all this totally ridiculess. At any day in the year there is a given number of daylight hours. This is entirely down to the time of year and position of the Sun and is unalterable. It matters not one whit what position the hands of the clock are in. Nature follows the Sun only people are dictated to by watches. Pete
    Last edited by bracket; 29-10-2018 at 12:50.
    Casternets

I think the clocks should be left as they are and forget British summer time! We should however stay in line with Europe ie France as 1 hour ahead is bad enough!
    Last edited by mikench; 29-10-2018 at 15:34.

Blog Entries

Stuff Europe lets just keep with British summertime and not change from that at all.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    Could anyone explain why we still mess about with the clocks as I can see no reason for it at all.
    This may be a myth, but I've often heard it bandied about that it's something to do with kids going to school...

Why do we turn the clocks back?

Britain first adopted British Summer Time during the First World War in order to save fuel by reducing the need for artificial light.

The idea was originally thought up by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, though it was not formally introduced in the UK for another 132 years.

In 1907, William Willett, a builder and great-great-grandfather to Coldplay’s Chris Martin, campaigned for the clocks to be turned back in a leaflet entitled ‘The Waste of Daylight’.

The policy eventually came into effect in 1916 in a bid to save candles and coal during World War One, though Germany had already adopted the idea.

Some people have argued that it is time to abandon GMT and adopt an year-long British Summer Time.

Studies suggest that this would save about 100 lives per year because the evenings would be lighter, thus helping prevent car accidents.

On the other hand, getting rid of GMT would delay sunrise until about 10am in Scotland during the darkest winter months.

From Google.

Blog Entries

As someone who spent his entire working life on International Projects, and constantly dealing with mostly European and Scandinavian contractors and sub-contractors, I found the daylight savings time particularly useful.

Also, having lived in many northern climes that extra hour of daylight is very beneficial.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12