Unsold tackle in shops

steve2

Reaction score
What happens to unsold tackle?
We are now in a market place where things even fishing tackle goes out of date over night and the latest must have arrives.
With “new” rods and reels being launched every few months what happen to all the unsold stuff that is now out of date and no one wants?
Is it returned and sold on through other outlets or just piled up in a corner somewhere?
Just wondering if there's a place where you can get quality tackle on the cheap.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Mostly discounted to sell quickly, over the years I've picked up a lot of last years rods and reels at huge savings.

john step

Reaction score
I think this is what the special offers are that you get on the internet/emails once you have bought something on line from a dealer.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Years ago many tackle manufacturers would offer new rods andreels on a sale or return basis but that has not been the case now for a longtime.
These days a tackle shop has to take the risk themselves andorder-in what they think their local market can handle, and if it remainsunsold then a special offer is usually made before new stock appears on theshelves and rod racks.
Back in 1996 I was sorely tempted to buy the old Davis tackleshop at the entrance to the Royalty Fishery. I had several meetings with thethen owner (Graham if memory serves me) and also had full analyses undertakenby a firm of commercial accounts that showed a pretty poor RoI when viewed as astand-alone venture. At that time I had already considered some form of onlineoutlet as well as the current retail shop as well.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I can think of a couple of examples where tackle shops have been 'caught' with a load of out of date stock. One was a Wiltshire shop that we visited in about 1993 that had about 15 poles in the £400 to £800 retail range that they'd had about five years and had not tried to discount them and, of course, no-one wanted them as spares would be difficult to get. I told my local (Poole) shop about this and we reckoned that if you stocked such poles then it was vital to shift them inside 6 months, even if the margin was small.

The second example was a shop in Bewdley that I visited in 1986 that had a whole room full of mid to late 70s glass rods that no-one wanted anymore as the market was pretty much all carbon by then.

iain t

Reaction score
Most get sold on the internet or sold as specials. Buying last years model has never bothered me as i know i can get a bargain.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Most get sold on the internet or sold as specials. Buying last years model has never bothered me as i know i can get a bargain.

Some years ago I bought a Shimano pole that was being discontinued, Its original price was between £1250 and £1400 depending on who was selling it. Shimano Discounted it to £550. I phoned every Shimano dealer I could think of before I managed to track one down, and that was in Welwyn Garden City. I had it a couple of years and after having an overwrap done on the number 4 and number 7 sections I sold it I think for £350. A new number 4 would have cost me £140 to replace, I didn't bother enquiring about the number 7 !!! A £25 overwrap repair did the job, There are plenty of bargains out there it is just finding them or getting the timing right, M.A.P are bringing a 3g version of their poles out, maybe there is a chanc of the 2g models being reduced in price, ??

Reaction score
My grandfather in law used to own a tackle shop,his way around unsold tackle was going to Evesham every year and being open to serious offers,he very rarely came back with a massive amount...

ThirdChild

Reaction score
Wait a minute, that's great actually. So much money saved by selling them, instead of just depositing them for who knows how much time. Unless you are using a live bait, you can save it for a long period of time, and you will still catch some fish with it. I didn't meet this problem in my region where I am living, though, the store of bait and tackle near me always has what I need, that's the first place where I go all the time before I go fishing.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. That post you responded to is nearly 4 years old but recycling is always good and new owners using something for its intended purpose is much better than the gear gathering dust in a shed or garage. Please contribute to other threads and post your own.

The bad one

Reaction score
The bits and pieces I usually buy up 10 years later for a project I'm making. I went in my local tackles shop (now closed down) and on the counter were big bins of stuff he'd dug out of the loft. The shop had been there close on 50 years. There in the hook bin was several packets of AU LION D'OR hooks. For those in the know from the 1970s carp scene know these hooks were the strongest in the world and would turn a whale on it's back!
The only problem with them was they were thick and I do mean thick in the wire. I pulled every box of 50s from 8s to 2s there was, and made an offer on them. Paid about a tenner for 8 boxes for the lot. Said to the owner no bloody barbel's getting off or straightening these bugger now!
I still have a few left and occasionally use one when the circumstance call for it.

nottskev

Reaction score
The odds and sods bins and the stuff in the cellar and the back room have all been casualties of the new supermarket style chains. For all the plasticated packaging and branded displays, I miss the pole section bIn, the random left over rod sections, the hook and line bins, the rod building and float making bits and pieces, the tub of assorted floats and the feeling they might just have what you're after lurking in a corner and yours for a couple of quid.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The odds and sods bins and the stuff in the cellar and the back room have all been casualties of the new supermarket style chains. For all the plasticated packaging and branded displays, I miss the pole section bIn, the random left over rod sections, the hook and line bins, the rod building and float making bits and pieces, the tub of assorted floats and the feeling they might just have what you're after lurking in a corner and yours for a couple of quid.
Taskers in Liverpool had a pole section bin and a rod section bin ,the majority were survivors from poles/rods damaged in transit .
The Old Stapley Angling centre had the same .
Top Tackle near me has a lot of prototype pole sections in a corner of the shop .
I wanted a couple of dolly butts for my Daiwa , found two off an Acolyte that fitted .
Leigh Tackle and Bait usually have bargain buckets around the shop . Plenty of good finds in those

nottskev

Reaction score
I've been lucky to have a good tackle shop - Gerry's, now Nathan's - 5 mins down the road. Over the years they've come up with all sorts of irregular items: perfectly good fuji rings dirt cheap stripped from broken rod tips; pole sections for next to nothing to repair the net handle I| trod on or to make a cupping kit; discarded pole no 1's which I used to make push over quiver and spring tips; corks to make a dolly butt........ I was about to buy a lovely bib and brace but we noticed the lining was stitched askew. The shop manager took it home where his wife sorted it on the sewing machine, and sold it me for £10. Having a good tackle shop was like having a trusted independent garage to take your car too.