Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Unsold tackle in shops

What happens to unsold tackle?
    We are now in a market place where things even fishing tackle goes out of date over night and the latest must have arrives.
    With “new” rods and reels being launched every few months what happen to all the unsold stuff that is now out of date and no one wants?
    Is it returned and sold on through other outlets or just piled up in a corner somewhere?
    Just wondering if there's a place where you can get quality tackle on the cheap.

2. Default Re: Unsold tackle in shops

Mostly discounted to sell quickly, over the years I've picked up a lot of last years rods and reels at huge savings.

Default Re: Unsold tackle in shops

I think this is what the special offers are that you get on the internet/emails once you have bought something on line from a dealer.

Blog Entries

Years ago many tackle manufacturers would offer new rods andreels on a sale or return basis but that has not been the case now for a longtime.
    These days a tackle shop has to take the risk themselves andorder-in what they think their local market can handle, and if it remainsunsold then a special offer is usually made before new stock appears on theshelves and rod racks.
    Back in 1996 I was sorely tempted to buy the old Davis tackleshop at the entrance to the Royalty Fishery. I had several meetings with thethen owner (Graham if memory serves me) and also had full analyses undertakenby a firm of commercial accounts that showed a pretty poor RoI when viewed as astand-alone venture. At that time I had already considered some form of onlineoutlet as well as the current retail shop as well.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 03-11-2018 at 13:17.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I can think of a couple of examples where tackle shops have been 'caught' with a load of out of date stock. One was a Wiltshire shop that we visited in about 1993 that had about 15 poles in the £400 to £800 retail range that they'd had about five years and had not tried to discount them and, of course, no-one wanted them as spares would be difficult to get. I told my local (Poole) shop about this and we reckoned that if you stocked such poles then it was vital to shift them inside 6 months, even if the margin was small.

The second example was a shop in Bewdley that I visited in 1986 that had a whole room full of mid to late 70s glass rods that no-one wanted anymore as the market was pretty much all carbon by then.

Most get sold on the internet or sold as specials. Buying last years model has never bothered me as i know i can get a bargain.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Quote Originally Posted by iain t View Post
    Most get sold on the internet or sold as specials. Buying last years model has never bothered me as i know i can get a bargain.
    Some years ago I bought a Shimano pole that was being discontinued, Its original price was between £1250 and £1400 depending on who was selling it. Shimano Discounted it to £550. I phoned every Shimano dealer I could think of before I managed to track one down, and that was in Welwyn Garden City. I had it a couple of years and after having an overwrap done on the number 4 and number 7 sections I sold it I think for £350. A new number 4 would have cost me £140 to replace, I didn't bother enquiring about the number 7 !!! A £25 overwrap repair did the job, There are plenty of bargains out there it is just finding them or getting the timing right, M.A.P are bringing a 3g version of their poles out, maybe there is a chanc of the 2g models being reduced in price, ??

Blog Entries

My grandfather in law used to own a tackle shop,his way around unsold tackle was going to Evesham every year and being open to serious offers,he very rarely came back with a massive amount...