Skimmers,

stripey

Reaction score
I have a age old question, When does a skimmer become a bream? i always had it in my mind that around 2lb it is a bream, but a lot of anglers say it is 4lb, what do you guys think a skimmer becomes a bream.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I would never call a bream a skimmer, its just lazy. I have seen people who just call any small silver fish a skimmer... Even a roach bream hybrid, Why?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Small bream just "skim" over the surface and can be swung to hand.
Once you need the landing net, it's no longer a skimmer.
Other small fish tend to bounce along the top (often unhooking themselves in the process) which isn't "skimming".

Reaction score
Imo a skimmer is a bream of up to 1lb 8ozs,but over this weight is an adult and will spawn.

Last edited:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I believe the change from silver to bronze is age-related in bream, so fast growers can retain their silver colouration up to a weight of 2lb or more, whereas slow growers might darken in colour at a lower weight. There's no hard and fast size/weight rule about it, really.

rayner

Reaction score
I'm guilty of using the term "skimmer"
There is no such fish as a skimmer, it's just a nickname for a small bream.

Keith M

Reaction score
Any smallish Bream that can be skimmed across the surface when bringing them in is a Skimmer.

However; I usually stop referring to them a skimmers once they start changing from a silver colour to a bronze colour whether they can be skimmed or not.

Keith

peterjg

Reaction score
The correct name is "Snotty". You won't believe this but some people deliberately fish for them! It's true!

Keith M

Reaction score
The correct name is "Snotty". You won't believe this but some people deliberately fish for them! It's true!

There all snotties, big or small, it’s just that the bigger they grow the less snot they have on them I’m told :)

I hate the things myself but although I wouldn’t scoff at a 15 pounder I’d rather watch paint dry or play golf than catch the smaller ones, unless I was in a match and they were the dominant species and I had no choice.

Keith

Last edited:
O

O.C.F.Disorder

They are by far the most boring species to fish for but im happy to catch them, they can make a quiet session a bit more interesting. I have had big uns and they are always snotty.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't get this "I hate them" they're just another species of fish.
They surely can't be likened to Peter Sutcliff or Beverly Hallet, I can imagine hating them but to hate a little fish !
They're insignificant to some anglers, the only way to avoid them is to fish venues where they are not.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
give me a big bream over a big barbel any day...and I'm being serious!

Reaction score
I enjoy all fish,regardless of slime,eels are worse than bream for slime in any case...