Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: squat

Default squat

how do you keep squat, does it keep long

Default Re: squat

Just keep them in the fridge they’ll last a week at least.

Shouldn’t that be “squatt”.

I read it, dutifully crouched down on my haunches, then couldn’t bloody well get back up!

Blog Entries

They don’t keep as long as maggots and pinkies and I would be surprised if they lasted over a week even in a fridge.

When you buy them from a tackle shop they are normally sold in brick dust/grit which helps clean and make them sink a little faster; however the night before I use mine I sieve all of the brick dust from them and place a slice of milk soaked bread on top of them; for them to eat; and put them back in the fridge; and overnight they turn into plumper and more lively squatt which also sink well.

Because they are a lot smaller than pinkies or maggots I usually only use squatt as loosefeed or in groundbait while using pinkies (or maggot) on the hook.

In hard winter matches on the Grand Union canal along the south Watford to Hemel Hempstead areas they often used to be godsends and I used to win or get placed in quite a few very hard winter club matches using squatt, usually using them as loosefeed but very occasionally on the hook.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 06-11-2018 at 18:25.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

If they are smaller than pinkies they are not for me! Pinkies are escape artists par excellence!!!
    Last edited by mikench; 04-11-2018 at 14:15.

Blog Entries

Squatts are not so expert Mike,but pinkies,they're a different story...lol.
    Last edited by whitty; 04-11-2018 at 17:38.

Squatts are docile home-loving creatures, Mike. Nothing like the escapologist pinkies.

Never mind how to keep them - where do you get them these days?

In my first 10 years of fishing - nearly always on canals - I didn't feel equipped without squatts.
    I can think of a few places I'd like to try them on in winter - if they were available. Even my local - large and well-known - tackle shop only gets them to order and then with some difficulty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Squatts are docile home-loving creatures, Mike. Nothing like the escapologist Pinkies

I read that squatts are the larvae of the little house fly (Fannia canicularis) which are smaller than the common house fly (Musca domestica).

I think I had them escaping from my ‘gardening & food’ waste bin a few weeks ago, although it’s highly possible that they were maggots from the common housefly.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 04-11-2018 at 17:54.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

leave an empty tin of dogfood with the lid more or less closed on it in a sheltered place in the garden>
    check after a few days to see if there is a "blow" inside it, It there is after a while if you are lucky and the right fly has laid the eggs, you will have some squatts. As for using them in the winter, I remember going down to 0.08 mainline and 0.06 hooklength and 24 or 26 hooks with half a squatt as bait to catch fish.

Blog Entries

I won my section in a winter league match on the Thame with 1lb 1oz of sticklebacks doing that Mark,not sure if I had around 600 of them(I used to count tiny fish back then to try to keep a good catch rate and motivate myself within the boredom of it),could have been 300 i can't remember now,thank God I don't match fish today,although that section win helped to a clean sweep of six to win the individual trophy and helped the team win the match and ultimately the league,so happy days...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast