lift method

caught any mate

Reaction score
hello all,i,m asking for advice on the lift method set up,i want to use it in the margins,mainly to try to avoid line bites and foul hookers.(i used to be blessed with a good barnett,but last few fishing sessions has reduced it to a comb over):)thanks in advance.

chrissh

Reaction score
I manly fish the lift method for tench using a waggler or wind beater float

1. plumb the depth
2. 2 small shot 1 each side of the float
3. SSG shot about 6inch from the hook length
4. make sure the line is tight

YouTube

Another Dave

Reaction score
I was interested in this recently so i had a search on here using the 'Advanced Search' option up in the top right. There's a drop down box where you can change 'Search Entire Posts' to 'Search Titles Only'. If you do that and type in lift method you'll see there is some kind of forum rule whereby every so often the members need to argue about what really is the lift method and what is just laying on, Some say you need the float set at exact depth, others that you tighten down to a float set overdepth.

In the end i used the smallest pole float i had and set all the shot - in this case 2 x no.8 - so they were 6" from the hook but just off the bottom. Didn't get a single lift bite but i was very pleased with how sensitive it was. And yes i know this isn't the lift method,

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Correct me if im wrong but are you just talking about fishing a float so that when you get a bite it resisters as a lift in the float? If so I just plumb the depths then put two ssg sat on the bottom and about 3 inches of line under that to my hook. Its great when the perch are being a bit greedy. Sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick

Philip

Reaction score
If you do that and type in lift method you'll see there is some kind of forum rule whereby every so often the members need to argue about what really is the lift method and what is just laying on

This is indeed correct & the forum would just not be the same without its perennial airing & heated debate about what is the lift method …however if you want a real treat then do a search on what is stret pegging.;)

Not the lift method but in the case of the OP I would say probably the simplest thing to do is get a longish straight waggler, bunch the bulk shot up about 6 inches from the hook, set the depth about a foot over. Once cast out the float will lie flat on the surface. Pointing the rod at the float gently tighten up inch by inch. The float will cock and then slowly pull down in the water till just the tip is showing. Bites will be signaled by the float shooting up out of the water and lying flat again or simply sinking and sailing away. A small shot or float stop a foot or so above the bulk shot for the float to rest on will help to reduce tangles.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My laying on/lift method is a quill float two bb's and a fourteen hook. One bb set 2 inches from the hook and the other about half way to the float. The depth is set so the bottom bb is just on the bottom but still giving enough weight to cock the float. When the fish lifts the bait it lifts the bottom shot as well and the float lays flat. You either strike then or wait until the float sails off. Sometimes I use a bigger quill and 3 bb's with 2 bb,s near the hook. I like a bit of crust on the hook, it just pops up 2 inches from the bottom and often the float just sails away; if its carp your after-up the line and size of hook.

Last edited:

caught any mate

Reaction score
Cheers,thats exactly what I want to experiment with,hopefully I won't be striking at liners .foulhooking fish and killing my swim.

bracket

Reaction score
When I first started work as a fifteen year old a senior angler showed me how to fish what he discribed as "the lift method". He used a float, about 8 inch long, made of a cane stem with two balsa bodies, one an inch below the tip and one just above the eye. The float was attached bottom end only by looping the reel line, passing the loop through the eye, over the float tip and back down to the eye. Tightening the loop onto the eye fixed the float. Adjustment to depth made by easing the loop open and sliding the float on the line. The shot load was less than 2xAAA. The rig was set up with 2 x AAA shot pinched four inches from the hook, which would sink the float, and the depth set so the float just or almost laid flat on the surface. The rod was set on two rests and the reel, a centre pin, was tightened to take up the slack and cock the float. Bites were enormous lift bites and unmissable. I have used this method for years and taken big bags of bream and skimmers. You need reasonable conditions to make it work properly and two rods out is about the maximum distance for it to be effective I found. I never understood the dynamics of the double bodied float, but back then a fifteen year old did as he was told. Pete

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I often fish for Tench using what I’ve always known as the standard lift method for Tench (see fig below), which was developed mainly because the Tench often has a habit of picking up a bait in its mouth before returning to the upright position to swallow it.

I usually use a short piece of peacock quill or porcupine quill placed on the line with a short section of rubber tubing to hold it in place and Ive always been taught to use it a few inches overdepth so that as you tighten up the float it will start to cock and settle until only the tip is showing above the water.

You only need one single shot which is only just able to set your float at the right depth and stop the float from drifting around, and this single shot is around 2 to 3 inches away from the hook.

It works fairly well for Tench because as the Tench picks up the bait in its mouth and starts to return to the upright position to swallow; the float starts to rise up (sharing some of the weight as it rises) and then is the time to strike.

That’s the idea anyway, but in practice this obviously doesn’t always happen and the float often just zooms under or shoots away.

I prefer using it with a centrepin as it’s ideal for this method and I enjoy using a centrepin but of course a fixed spool reel is also fine.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’m not going to enter into the actual setup of the lift method as that has been thoroughly discussed in previous threads. However, the main part is to understand why you are actually using it – then the setup is pretty much self explanatory. To feed off the bottom the tench must hold it’s body in a head down position. By using it’s pectoral fins to keep position the turbulence will move the baited hook away from it’s mouth. The fish could sometimes attempt to follow the moving bait and cause the float to move sideways without dipping. The way to go is to anchor the bait so the fish can catch it. This is the whole purpose of the lift method as I understand it.