Fishing two rods

bezzer

Reaction score
The only times I'll fish 2 rods is when I'm fishing for Barbel on the Trent or Severn and when I'm on my local pit fishing for Tench. The Pit in particular is hard and bites/fish are infrequent.
I've been fishing that way for the past 11 years and have yet to experience a double hook up.
The main reason for fishing with 2 rods in those situations is to have different hook baits in the water.

I'd never have 2 rods out on a Commercial, that sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve never used more than one rod when I’m after Barbel because of four main reasons; the first reason is because If I’m legering I much prefer to touch leger and you can’t do this properly with more than one rod; and secondly I’ve had Barbel almost snatching the rod from my hand let alone from a rodrest and fishing with two rods is just asking for trouble in my hands, and thirdly I am nearly always fishing smaller rivers and streams anyway where the Barbel can swim into a snag within seconds, and last but not least because of the possibility of double hookups when I’m on my own.

I can vaguely understand using two rods for barbel on much larger and less snaggy rivers but I don’t fish for them on these types of river and I would probably still restrict myself to a single rod even if I did.

I often use two rods for Carp and Pike and very occasionally for Tench on a larger water; but I would never even dream of using 3 rods for anything, as I think that it’s hard enough trying to control two rods in a swim let alone 3, and I prefer to be actively fishing and not just laying out a series of traps.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I am nearly always fishing smaller rivers and streams anyway where the Barbel can swim into a snag within seconds,

Same here - fishing tight to snags (which is where they often are) means concentration and holding or getting hold of that rod in a instance........................(that's if you want to see the fish)

nottskev

Reaction score
There's no doubt using more than one rod improves your chances in certain contexts, like waiting for carp runs, for instance. Several sets of tackle are quite manageable - when nothing's happening.

But for most busier situations that involve more fishing than waiting, trying to use more than one rod invites the fate of all such attempts to have-your-cake-and-eat-it: it doesn't pay off.

With so many stillwaters containing overgrown carp, I toyed for a short while with using some kind of "sleeper" rod ( with the necessary precautions), imagining it might add a few big fish to what I'd catch fishing properly. To be honest, I think it was also a kind of revenge on the unwanted fish that were interrupting my fishing! I soon decided it wasn't for me - it brought its own distractions and complications that outweighed any gains.

Philip

Reaction score
I think some of you are missing the point somewhat.

The context was the same angler fishing 1 rod for 1 season and then being able to fish 10 rods the following season. …in which season would he catch more ?

The point being missed is that the because he would have access to 10 rods does not mean he HAS to fish 10 all the time.

As a few have rightly pointed out there are occasions when more rods and lines out can be a disadvantage however there are also many occasions when more rods, lines and hooks out will increase your chances – & sometimes greatly.

I recon it will be the season when he can fish 10 rods that he will catch more.

PS we can make the hypothetical number of rods 4 instead of 10 to keep Keith and the EA happy if you like. :) ..The same principle will apply.

Reaction score
I think it is you that are missing the point Philip,some anglers can catch more fish with one rod than lots can catch on ten(or two,three or four),especially over a season,but as I say not necessarily carp fishing,but many other forms,often we live in a bubble,not seeing what others do,or achieve... p.s. Don't forget you can blank with several rods too,when fish aren't feeding its difficult for all...

nottskev

Reaction score
Nothing to do with this thread, of course, but has anyone else seen the Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch? After numerous customer/shopkeeper exchanges, it turns out there is no cheese after all, and the whole conversation has been futile.

Getting back to the thread, when I say I have access to 31 rods, what I actually mean is I use them all at the same time. Just to be clear. :)

Philip

Reaction score
I think it is you that are missing the point Philip,some anglers can catch more fish with one rod than lots can catch on ten(or two,three or four),especially over a season,but as I say not necessarily carp fishing,but many other forms,often we live in a bubble,not seeing what others do,or achieve.

I am aware of that Alan which is the exact reason why the example was the SAME angler fishing 1 rod 1 season or 10 the next to take out the element that some anglers may just be better than others.

....There is some thought that goes into my posts before I hit the enter key you know.....its not just random keyboard hammering, well at least some of it anyway ..:)

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Any Norwegian Jarlsberg, per chance?

Ah I see you want to kill the thread Kev. Ok I'll leave you to it then.

Just a tip ...if you dont want to discuss something its easier just to ignore ...more civil towards others too. Have a good one mate. :)

Reaction score
I am aware of that Alan which is the exact reason why the example was the SAME angler fishing 1 rod 1 season or 10 the next to take out the element that some anglers may just be better than others.

....There is some thought that goes into my posts before I hit the enter key you know.....its not just random keyboard hammering, well at least some of it anyway ..:)

Really,you reckon,fishing with three/four rods is less efficient than one,so actual catch rate would suffer,unless your fishing a lake full of carp with tackle that can't be broken,as you take the standpoint of devils advocate,you take the opinions of others,unfortunately if I disagree with you I will continue to give my side...

nottskev

Reaction score
Ah I see you want to kill the thread Kev. Ok I'll leave you to it then.

Just a tip ...if you dont want to discuss something its easier just to ignore ...more civil towards others too. Have a good one mate. :)

Ouch! I am chastened by your righteous sarcasm.

I noticed that every poster on these 4 pages discussed fishing with more than one rod at a time. As did you, when you told us:

"I go fishing to catch fish and for the most part more rods means more chance of one picking up your bait."

Most, if not all, disputed the more rods = more fish idea, and explained why. But then you told us you meant not using but having access to multiple rods! And told us everyone else had missed the point.

It's one thing to "kill" a thread; another to flag up when a poster is being silly.
Anyway, it's not dead is it, and some of us could breathe life into a dead parrot.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I noticed that every poster on these 4 pages discussed fishing with more than one rod at a time. As did you, when you told us:

"I go fishing to catch fish and for the most part more rods means more chance of one picking up your bait."

Most, if not all, disputed the more rods = more fish idea, and explained why. But then you told us you meant not using but having access to multiple rods! And told us everyone else had missed the point.

It's one thing to "kill" a thread; another to flag up when a poster is being silly.
Anyway, it's not dead is it, and some of us could breathe life into a dead parrot.

Kev, you being a teacher n'all, can't you control this schoolie, do you know his age? ;)

peterjg

Reaction score
Ok ladies, simmer down! It's simple: if the fish are really feeding well then you only need one rod and if the fish are not feeding then using TEN rods would not make any difference.

However:

If it is a really hard low stocked water then two rods would be better.

Simples!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just been looking at Ian's avatar - looks remarkably like the Norwegian blue.............;)

Narrh, Blue and Gold macaws are from south american rainforests lol. Those where a trio from one clutch a couple of years back.
I've got a very large chick, well at 6 months old it is stil very much a chick which is trying to make love to my ear hole, quite nice actually until it squeazes a little harder than it realises!

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are no hard and fast answers. For some anglers, some methods and some venues, one rod is more than enough. On other venues, with certain methods, four rods can be just about manageable. Some methods lend themselves to being able to use multiple rods. For some methods it's hardly advisable to use more than one rod. I can never get my head around pole fishing with a "sleeper" rod. I can't fathom proper quivertipping with two rods. Most forms of float fishing, piking excluded, is difficult with two rods, but if the venue is less than prolific, you can do it.

Very occasionally, I've fished four rods before, but I've never been entirely comfortable with three. Two is relatively easy, with the right methods and venue. However, the reality for me is that the vast majority of my fishing is with one rod and a float. In all the years I've fished multiple rods, I've never had a double hook up. However, I pick and choose the number of rods based on how prolific the venue might be. If things go unexpectedly well, a rod, or two or three, would be taken out of the water.

Philip

Reaction score

Kev, I get the distinct impression you dont like my manner or my posts. I often try and offer alternative viewpoints or debate things from a minority position to spark a thread, liven things up and maybe add a bit good natured winding up from time to time. In addition with Grahams untimely passing I get the feeling I may now be in an even smaller minority on certain subjects. C'est la vie !

It wont be to everyones taste I can dig that but that’s the nature of public forums, everyone is different. Having posted on here for almost 20 years and never really fallen out as far as I am aware with anyone in a major way I assume I find a reasonable balance.

If you don’t like my posts or manner then FM has an ignore function. Why dont you use it. Far better to do that than attempting to derail as soon as I post....and given its not the first time or thread you have done it on coincidence no longer appears to be an option & spiteful childishness by you becomes a far more likely reason.

Use ignore and then you no longer have to suffer my righteous sarcasm and all will be well with the world.:thumbs:

Philip

Reaction score
Very occasionally, I've fished four rods before, but I've never been entirely comfortable with three. Two is relatively easy, with the right methods and venue.

I recall Neville Fickling once wrote that he thought 4 rods was 1 too many and he felt 3 was a better maximum for anglers. When I fish 4 rods more often than not I wont have 4 on a 4 rod buzz bar. I will usually have 2 or 3 on a buzz bar and the forth on separate rests to one side or tucked away.

There was a distinct move back in the early 2000s I think it was by Carpers away from fixed buzz bars to single rod rests and I would recommend anyone fishing multiple rods to look at that as an option to spread out lines and help avoid "congestion" as such. The down side is more metalware to lug about of course but it gives allot more flexibility to the setup you can have.