Fishing two rods

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev, I get the distinct impression you dont like my manner or my posts. I often try and offer alternative viewpoints or debate things from a minority position to spark a thread, liven things up and maybe add a bit good natured winding up from time to time. In addition with Grahams untimely passing I get the feeling I may now be in an even smaller minority on certain subjects. C'est la vie !

It wont be to everyones taste I can dig that but that’s the nature of public forums, everyone is different. Having posted on here for almost 20 years and never really fallen out as far as I am aware with anyone in a major way I assume I find a reasonable balance.

If you don’t like my posts or manner then FM has an ignore function. Why dont you use it. Far better to do that than attempting to derail as soon as I post....and given its not the first time or thread you have done it on coincidence no longer appears to be an option & spiteful childishness by you becomes a far more likely reason.

Use ignore and then you no longer have to suffer my righteous sarcasm and all will be well with the world.:thumbs:

Are you sure you're not being a bit melodramatic?

When posters move the goalposts whilst putting up abstruse arguments, someone is quite likely to make a comment. If they do that, then post that other people are missing the point, it becomes even more likely.

I can only think of one other occasion where I've taken issue with posts of yours - and that was a long time ago when you argued, at exhausting length, the dubious case that carp introductions are never to the detriment of waters - even ones of which you had no personal knowledge.

Why not take my post an example of the good-natured winding-up you say you like to do?

Philip

Reaction score
Why not take my post an example of the good-natured winding-up you say you like to do?
Because to be blunt I don’t believe it is. I get a good kicking from a number of other forum posters, sometimes with good reason, sometimes less so but I think I can judge fairly well when its tongue in cheek or not. With you I don’t think it is ...but of course only YOU will know that for sure. That’s why I left the option of ignore to you rather than use it on you.

I can only think of one other occasion where I've taken issue with posts of yours - and that was a long time ago when you argued, at exhausting length, the dubious case that carp introductions are never to the detriment of waters - even ones of which you had no personal knowledge.

That’s not true is it and on the thread in question I even spelt it out to you (& you specifically) what the 2 underlying points I was arguing were ... (why I could not be trumped – remember) ... & they both still hold true. So evidently those exhausting lengths I went to were still not enough to avoid it going over your head.

The threads still there if you want to argue the toss some more about it. I’m game if you are.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
...on the thread in question I even spelt it out to you (& you specifically) what the 2 underlying points I was arguing where ... why I could not be trumped – remember.... & they both still hold true. So evidently those exhausting lengths I went to were still not enough to avoid it going over your head.

The threads still there if you want to argue the toss some more about it. I’m game if you are.

Thanks, but not just now.

Philip

Reaction score
Shame. I was looking forward to discussing with you were exactly I said Carp stocking are never to the detriment of waters

Another time then.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Being 'computer incompetent' I didn't know that there is an "ignore button"? That's great, now I can "ignore" everyone!

mikench

Reaction score
Philip I will just say that one should always respect ones elders! Don't they teach you that at school!:)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Are you sure you're not being a bit melodramatic?

When posters move the goalposts whilst putting up abstruse arguments, someone is quite likely to make a comment. If they do that, then post that other people are missing the point, it becomes even more likely.

Because to be blunt I don’t believe it is. I get a good kicking from a number of other forum posters, sometimes with good reason, sometimes less so but I think I can judge fairly well when its tongue in cheek or not. With you I don’t think it is ...but of course only YOU will know that for sure. That’s why I left the option of ignore to you rather than use it on you.

That’s not true is it and on the thread in question I even spelt it out to you (& you specifically) what the 2 underlying points I was arguing were ... (why I could not be trumped – remember) ... & they both still hold true. So evidently those exhausting lengths I went to were still not enough to avoid it going over your head.

Thanks, but not just now.

Shame. I was looking forward to discussing with you were exactly I said Carp stocking are never to the detriment of waters

Another time then.

Don't stop, I have gone for the popcorn :argue:: :popcorn:

terry m

Reaction score
This is a perennial debate.

If you are not comfortable using multiple rods then that is fine. But some people are indeed perfectly confident to do so.

As has been said it often comes down to venue, method and how prolific the head of fish are.

Personally I am happy to use 3 rods when deadbaiting, 2 or 3 when carping, 2 when tench fishing or chubbing/barbel fishing.

Live and let live guys!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Another time then.

Keep going Phillip (you usually do), this might be just what we need for the resurrection of Binka.

Philip

Reaction score
That would be your 5th lurk on sidelines, off topic, out of the blue derogatory one liner aimed at me S63.

I’ll keep a running total.:)

Bonus points for your famous face in soup photo. Go on spoil us..

Reaction score
This is a perennial debate.

If you are not comfortable using multiple rods then that is fine. But some people are indeed perfectly confident to do so.

As has been said it often comes down to venue, method and how prolific the head of fish are.

Personally I am happy to use 3 rods when deadbaiting, 2 or 3 when carping, 2 when tench fishing or chubbing/barbel fishing.

Live and let live guys!

Terry,obviously many are 'happy' using multiple rods,doesn't necessarily make it something you would be right to do in every situation,as many do,you know how it is,the 'I've got two rods I'm going to use em' attitude,if a carp lake is busy then three rods is too many,as lots of lines in the water reduce bites,backleaded or not and numerous anglers with three rods each doesn't bode well for success.But without this problem,most anglers aren't good enough to manage multiple set ups,so end up being a danger to fish and a real nuisance to other anglers by showing no forethought as to where anglers on waters might be fishing,or if they're efforts might ruin anglers already there's days. From my viewpoint,I didn't start this thread suggesting banning two rods,but wanted to know you guys thoughts on it,cheers.

seth49

Reaction score
Fish two rods most of the time, one carp rod in the margin on an alarm, and one rod for silvers, either float or ledger.
The carp rod on a captive back lead to keep it out of the way and not near any snags.
Never had a problem and it does catch me some bonus fish.

mikench

Reaction score
We are all entitled to our own preferences for multiple rods, make of tackle and where and when we go! I try two occasionally as stated and sometimes it works for me! I feel more comfortable , however, with using one rod at a time most of the time and can see no reason to change!

Philip

Reaction score
What this thread appears to be bearing out is that the more match orientated anglers fishing for multiple bites tend to lean toward using one rod and trying to maximize their efficiency with that while the more specimen orientated anglers fishing for larger fish and expecting less bites tend to go for the multiple rod setups.

Fish two rods most of the time, one carp rod in the margin on an alarm, and one rod for silvers, either float or ledger.
The carp rod on a captive back lead to keep it out of the way and not near any snags.
Never had a problem and it does catch me some bonus fish.

Although its not something I do very often I quite like that outlook. Its neither the heron like match man feeding multiple lines and chopping and changing & focused on a single rod to catch as many fish as possible from his swim. Or the hardened specimen hunter sitting behind his battery of rods all setup with identical rigs and baits waiting for a run from a whopper.

It strikes me as perhaps being the happy medium and just fishing for pleasure…getting some bites and maybe a bonus bigger fish thrown in too.

terry m

Reaction score
Hi Whitty.

Genuinely not trying to be contentious, but I am interested to know what evidence you base your statement that ‘Most anglers are not good enough to manage multiple rods’.

Reaction score
On the basis of seeing what I see on the banks Terry,also perhaps 'good enough' is the wrong terminology,capable of fishing two rods safely might be,everyone is capable of casting them out(possibly),but when it hits the fan,virtually every angler will be hoping the hooked fish doesn't career through the other rod/s,there aren't many anglers that haven't had that happen to them whilst using multiple rods,can't happen with one...again,this to me is high practice on waters with reasonable stock levels of harder fighting species,or big fish,my opinion mind and not based on every angler.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
It strikes me as perhaps being the happy medium and just fishing for pleasure…getting some bites and maybe a bonus bigger fish thrown in too.

I am just a mediocre but happy angler! I like nice tackle and enjoy using it to the best of my limited ability? I am not a match angler nor a specimen hunter; just a guy who likes to go fishing!

One thing is certain nobody can strike on a bite, handle the fish and land it on two rods at the same not even you Philip!:)

seth49

Reaction score
One thing is certain nobody can strike on a bite, handle the fish and land it on two rods at the same not even you Philip!:)

Yes mike that’s true, but if the carp rod is using a bolt rig, it is self hooking, when the alarm sounds the fish is already hooked, and the fish is swimming away from the rod taking line of the baitrunner.

The rod or pole used for silvers is fairly close in, and is wound or swung in out of the way, and then the carp rod is picked up to play that fish.

I always have two landing nets set up, so if I’m playing a bream or roach etc, when I get a run on the other rod, which very rarely happens, I leave the silver in one net, while I use the other to land the other fish,

Apart from the odd dropped run, it hasn’t lost me any fish, and definitely not harmed any fish, and it lets me know if I’d be better off fishing the margins for carp, or carrying on as I am, some days I don’t get a run on the carp rod at all. It just makes the most of the day,

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I do a fair bit of fishing with two rods, however it does tend to make me cut my cloth a bit in terms of how i'll do it. MOSTLY - I will do this with a float rod in front of me and a method/ carp rod to one side. Both rods are effectively fishing margin spots (that can be baited very accurately). Because the method rod is fished quite tight in to the edge on a fairly slack line, I'm confident I won't go picking it up if I hook something good on the float rod; and because the float rod is fishing nice and close, I can easily lift the float and bait completely clear of the water and on to the bank as and when the method rod goes off. In fact, I want those fish to swim off a bit (and invariably, hooked close to the bank they swim for the open water) because I don't want to be hooking and playing a fish over my baited spot... My sessions on the lake where I mostly employ these tactics are typically very short, and I do feel that on many occasions they've given me an extra fish or two. Also, there's something about a float that passes the time!

mikench

Reaction score
I accept what you say Seth and respect fully that you are happy to fish as you do! I am not being critical in saying I rarely do it for the reasons put forward! I also accept that you can reduce the blank percentage which is an important consideration! Vive la différence!