Fishing two rods

mikench

Reaction score
I see this a few times and to be fair I have tried it on the venues where it is allowed but I have never felt comfortable! If a water was busy I would never fish more than one rod! If I am on my own, with a wide peg and it's dead , i might put out a feeder / carp rod and then fish the float! The peg has to be wide and the "sleeper" has to be attached to a buzzer! I might do this twice a year! I find that I do neither method justice and just the thought of two clunkers at the same time puts me off and gives me a degree of stress which fishing is supposed to avoid! I am happy alternating between rods and methods!

I short I agree with you Alan! If you want to catch several fish at the same time use a net or mackerel feathers at sea!:)

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Mike,if your carping and no snags are present and your line is sunk,backleaded etc,then with a baitrunner it's not so bad,when you sit with two feeder rods,watching both,when you hook a decent fish,suddenly you are not as attentive with the rod still fishing,after all the method feeder is a bagging medium,likewise a float and a method feeder,without a baitrunner or lightly set drag on waters with carp is a rod waiting to be lost imo.

rayner

Reaction score
Trying to fish two rods has never interested me.
I believe it's better to fish one rod effectively than two in an haphazard fashion. I understand if you have a liking for two rods, some folk manage in a fashion. It's not something I would feel comfortable doing.

Of course there are some anglers who prefer to fish sparsely stocked waters for bigger fish where bites are a premium.
I can understand a multi rod set ups use in that case. when I see a two rod set up on commercials I have to laugh.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If the fish are biting one rod's enough - if they're not then one rod is too many.............;)

mikench

Reaction score
I still cannot fathom why carp anglers who fish 3 rods do not get in an awful tangle most of the time! You see 3 identical rods and reels on a pod about 3 inches apart and even if the bait is cast out at say 10 o'clock , 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock fish do not make runs in convenient straight lines and must cross the other two! Gawd knows what happens if they all go off together!
I have never seen let alone used a backlead!!
I know my limitations!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it depends on the venue and stocking levels of the fish. On some waters you are better to edge your bets by having two or three rods out, venues where you are really fishing for a bite!
I very rarely fish those venues, I have and have used two rods but for thw biggest part I only ever fish one rod.
If you do want to fish two rods I think it's best to opt for a leger session. Fishing a leger and a float set up at one time isn't wise...imo.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I’m Carp or Pike fishing in a place where I only expect to have a couple of runs during a session then I’ll quite happily use two rods, especially if I have a friend close by to help if I ever did have two runs at the same time.

But I wouldn’t dream of using more than one rod in other situations as I would rather be able to give 100% of my time concentrating on just one rod cast in the right place than 50% of my time spent on each of two separate rods.
Although I do sometimes have more than one rod setup and ready on the bank incase I wanted to change methods.

Most of my time is spent trotting a float or touch legering anyway so I couldn’t use more than one rod if I tried anyway.

Last edited:

Reaction score
The water in question is basically a commercial,with lots of carp,with plenty of chub,bream and tench,all of which will pull your rod in on the method,the five guys in question couldn't cast accurately and had obviously never heard of the line clip on their reels,one guy actually came round from the car bank and apologised for nearly landing on my float,he'd miscast by 15yds,quite laughable to be honest as I could have landed at his feet,twenty yards further,every cast,all day. It's not a method I'm keen on,but feel that concentrating on building a spot with one rod would bring better results....

Philip

Reaction score
Depends on your outlook I guess. I go fishing to catch fish and for the most part more rods means more chance of one picking up your bait.

If your more interested in the scenery and the occasion then why take any rods at all ? …just sit on the bank in your coat and look around.

Less stuff to lug about too. :);)

iain t

Reaction score
I found fishing 2 rods was like watching Tennis. I fish for pleasure, i don't need the stress of worrying about double hookups. Am a one rod man and a one woman man, so the wife tells me. :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When I was a kid and learning my fishing it was quite often that you would fish the float on one rod and a leger on the other and usually without an alarm.

To be honest you cannot really concentrate on both rods on different methods so I soon dropped the “sleeper” rod . . . . . .

In the 80’s I spent almost the entire decade fishing for Carp were a 2 or 3 rod set up was de rigueur but all on the same method and with a full set of alarms. In all that time I probably only ever had a double bite twice, and only once from 2 carp,

These days I prefer to fully concentrate on just the one rod, method, bait and presentation . . . .

Reaction score
Depends on your outlook I guess. I go fishing to catch fish and for the most part more rods means more chance of one picking up your bait.

If your more interested in the scenery and the occasion then why take any rods at all ? …just sit on the bank in your coat and look around.

Less stuff to lug about too. :);)

So if a guy is a rubbish angler he should use six rods then,a load of rubbish that,as had been said if your fishing hard waters,with little chances of a bite yes,but to double your catch rate,nah,doesn't work for me I'm afraid and if I didn't catch another fish,I've caught more than my fair share(won't stop me trying though),barbel fishing with two rods is pretty grim too imv,and in medium to small rivers it actually reduces your catch rate,lines in the water spook fish I'm afraid....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now why didn't I think of that!:) The temerity of youth!

Do you know if Philip has reached puberty yet Mike?.... I can't tell if his voice has broken via his typing, he might be a :cheer2:. For all we know.

Philip, don't go throwing yer school satchel about in a rage now kiddo!

If I was his teacher I would make him do 500 lines of "I must only use one rod at a time when fishing" ......and that would be in detention of course!

Philip

Reaction score
Look I know no one wants to admit it but give the same angler 1 rod for a season and 10 rods for the next season and I am pretty certain which season he will catch more fish in.

It’s basic odds. I really hope you lot don’t gamble. You would be useless ! :):p

Keith M

Reaction score
Look I know no one wants to admit it but give the same angler 1 rod for a season and 10 rods for the next season and I am pretty certain which season he will catch more fish in.

It’s basic odds. I really hope you lot don’t gamble. You would be useless ! :):p

Philip if anyone used 10 rods at a time he would spend more time untangling his rods than landing fish plus he would miss most of his bites anyway because chances are that he wouldn’t be concentrating on the rod(s) in question at the time of the bite(s); plus he’d miss all of the pleasure of striking and hooking a fish as it was actually taking the bait :):p

And he would probably lose his tickets and/or be fined by the NRA anyway for using too many rods :tongue::indecisiveness:

NB: Sounds like Ian, Mike and others have been on the ‘John Smiths’ tonight and have been on the wind-up re-northern and southern anglers LOL. :guiness::guinness::)

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have seen Mike and ( Gordon) wetthrough fish and they only need one rod to catch enough. The only time Mike failed in a way was because he fished a feeder and the fish were feeding at various depths. As for hypothetically fishing 10 rods against one rod, I am quite sure I would catch more using 1 rod/pole than someone using 10 rods, by the time they have set up, positioned their rods and baited the swims, the one rod/pole angler could be bagging up.
Reet, now that av posted that, nd ad a couple a pints o John Smiths, I'm goin t'clean pigeon loft out afore I tek whippets forra walk then clean ma clogs.

Reaction score
Obviously someone carping/big breaming/big teaching on good size waters increase their chances,on most rivers and moderately stocked waters definitely not,anglers that concentrate on one or two areas of a swim and build it up get better catches,faffing about baiting two areas of more for big fish(especially hard fighting fish)is risky at best,as I've said(and I'm certainly not the only one on FM)if I don't catch any more decent fish in my life,I've caught more than my fair share and certainly more than most,that's in all species,massive catches,at times week after week,that is how it is,all on one rod,Christ I must be good....nooooo,just worked hard on one rod,be it float,feeder,freeline and fly,whatever, feel very fortunate,one rod has always been enough for me,good Lord of be in the shizer with swmo if I needed three of everything...;)

mikench

Reaction score
It’s basic odds. I really hope you lot don’t gamble. You would be useless !

I would and that's why I don't! Blimey Philip you have all the vices already! There won't be much to look forward to as an adult!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ten rods?? Catch more fish with a big trawlers net.