What would you save?

nottskev

Reaction score
Centerpins I think its a combination of things…the precision aspect I think plays a part, its almost like an office executive toy like those Kinetic balls that knock against each other..you cant help but spin it.

I also think there is something of a novelty aspect to them. Since they came back into fashion so allot of people brought up on fixed spools and are trying pins for the first time are taken in by them.

I agree - they're somehow special. For all their greater efficiency for most ( but not all) jobs, especially so with my limited cp skills, my expensive fs's still look ungainly and ugly next to the cp's. It's not for nothing the circle is a symbol of perfection, and with cp's their form and function is beautifully integrated, unlike fs's with their hidden workings, mouse-trap bail arms and spindly stems and handles. Fs's may have mechanical ingenuity, but cp's have mechanical beauty. I'm aware this may belong on the What Are You Drinking Tonight thread.

flightliner

Reaction score
CPs seem to dominate most of the "must rescue" items and I fully comprehend why but These days when I use one ( last time my old Trudex when after Greyling ) I can't help thinking of the Billy Connolly sketch on u tube where he's taking the mickey out of the national anthem.
:behindsofa::behindsofa:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Link, please? [Edit: Found it: YouTube ]

If I just grabbed my quiver, the chances are it would contain three pieces of bamboo: a Nottingham-style rod by an outfit called Harcol, about whom I can find no info, but who built a steely, subtle, slightly beefier Wizard clone; a no-name, ferruleless, reed-and-split-cane twelve-footer that bends alarmingly with a pound chub, but is perfect if I can find roach, dace or gudgeon to go at; and a "Bottom-Fishing" rod or two; if my luck is in, a Milbro "Competitor" and "Valiant", and a heavier Milbro for which I can find no name. This quintet will cover most of my needs; in fact, the Harcol would do nearly everything at a push.
Sweeping the front row of the reel-drawer into a bag should save a few Rapidexes and Trudexes and a couple of wooden jobs for cold days.

The Conquest and Match Aerial 'pins, the Allcocks Eclipse and James Mk IV Avon, and all the glass and carbon jobs will just have to take their chances; I'll tell the firemen where to aim and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Very difficult to choose just one, but if forced to do so then my Barder Merlin would go out the door with me . . . . . but as I have two hands then my Sage Z axis fly rod in the other hand . . . .

daniel121

Reaction score
My Rods 100% without any questions, I firmly believe that rod manufacture has suffered deterioration in the last decade.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My Rods 100% without any questions, I firmly believe that rod manufacture has suffered deterioration in the last decade.

Err, I think your right Daniel for a large part, but I think the higher mid to high range are still pretty decent.
I think it's not so much the materials used to make the higher end rods as the employers who put them together.
Even on my Dave Harrell Tournament rod which has a high rrp the guides arn't whipped on perfectly straight and yet on all my older rods the guides are all perfectly placed and whipped on.
I know one gent who got a drennan rod and the reel seat wasn't lined up properly with the first guide, infact that was the case with the first 13ft acolyte I got. It went back to the shop and I showed them with a reel attatched, they let me take a 14 footer with no extra cost for my trouble. I still use that rod regularly and it's a fantastic rod.
You would have thought a firm like Daiwa and drennan would be strict on things like this as it can easily put people off buying their rods in the future.

daniel121

Reaction score
Well I'm not even sure it's the materials have maintained a high quality either tig, well not at top end anyway. They are shuttle changes but changes for cheaper materials never the less. Just one example is fuji SiC guilds replaced with fuji alconite nowadays they are just cheap 'Stainless steel frame guides' on connoisseurs. Also Less and less Daiwa rods are made in Scotland now, effectly your buying cheap inports with a expensive sticker on them!

I agree with you the workmanship on rods nowadays is close to appalling, if I were in the market for a new pole I'd buy new, new reel I'd buy new new rod, I'd search ebay and pray I found something.

Id happily pay a premium for a quality rod, I'm not paying a premium for a sticker/badge.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Having to replace all my rods would be fun.! Mind you I could and would forego the fire to do so!:rolleyes:

iain t

Reaction score
For me, It would have to be my 2 original TFG Avon rods. 1.25tc & 1.5tc both made on Freespirt blanks. I have never found any other Avon rod with the action as these's.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A few years ago I awoke at 4am and smelt burning, my bedroom was filled with acrid smoke. I got up and fumbled my way downstairs to find my kitchen full of white smoke. I couldn't see where it was coming from and quickly dialled 999. I can assure you I didn't think of rescuing anything, let alone fishing gear, I just got outside as quickly as possible. The firemen arrived fairly promptly and extinguished the fire which turned out to be started by the motor inside my fridge.

Reaction score
I've had that happen to me Simon,scary isn't it?

John Keane

Reaction score
I’d have to save my salmon flyfishing gear first and then my JW Young Purist II ‘pin and Dave Harrell 14’ Match. Everything else is easily replaceable

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’d have to save my salmon flyfishing gear first and then my JW Young Purist II ‘pin and Dave Harrell 14’ Match. Everything else is easily replaceable

You've got attatched to that rod n reel pretty quick!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What’s not to like about the Purist? The Dave Harrell rod would be hard to replace, unlike all my Fox, Daiwa, Shimano stuff.

You where unsure about the rod the other week but it's quickly become one of your favourite items of tackle is what I mean.

John Keane

Reaction score
You where unsure about the rod the other week but it's quickly become one of your favourite items of tackle is what I mean.

Nope, not one of my favourites yet, but it’s got a certain something that I like, so I’d save it!