Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What would you save?

I know some anglers look at their gear dispassionately as “tools”, but some have a lot of affection for their stuff.

I have the impression that people tend to love their rods more than their reels, and, if they have them, their centrepins more than their fixed-spools. Applies to me, even though I have some super hi-tech fixed spools, and my centrepins are just middle of the road.

How do you see it? What would you, after your family and pets, carry out of a burning house?

Default Re: What would you save?

I doubt it would be any item of fishing tackle Kev but as I keep mine in the garage it probably would be more accessible than most! As a good deal of it is also kept in my car, and as the car would be top of the list , I kill two birds with one stone!

My credit cards and passport would be high up! My LP's would similarly together with a smallish piece of glass by Sarpaneva which has sentimental value! In truth if I lived in Paradise( the town) I would be happy with my life! You'd lend me rod I'm sure!!!

Blog Entries

Can't think of anything I couldn't replace easily enough fishing tackle wise. I have an oscilloscope which would be hard to replace but that's in the shed, 10M from the propane bottle...

You've still got time Gordon!!!!

5. Default Re: What would you save?

Can I only take one thing?

I built an Epic 764 fly rod last winter, it's the first rod I've ever built and my first fibreglass fly rod so it special to me for those reasons but more importantly it's just got the perfect action for my casting.

This is a round about way of asking what your most treasured fishing tackle is Kev?

Mine would be my Chris Lythe centrepin reels, and a few others like my Richard Carter, FJT's etc.
    Of my rods it would be my normark float rods with my avenger being my favourite of them.
    Last edited by tigger; 19-11-2018 at 14:59.

BJ Centerpin, Acolyte 14 ft Ultra and float box containing whats left of my original set of John Dean stick floats

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    This is a round about way of asking what your most treasured fishing tackle is Key?

Mine would be my Chris Lythe centrepin reels, and a few others like my Richard Carter, FJT's etc.
    Of my rods it would be my normark float rods with my avenger being my favourite of them.
    Yes, I suppose I am asking that. And I'm also wondering why, if it's true for other people, we end up treasuring rods more than reels, and pins more than fs's.

The only items of fishing gear I would save are two rod that have sentimental value more than anything one was my dad’s and the other is mine.

And are Ron Chapman Amwell SP 11’ 3 piece rods both the same rods except one had red whipping and the other had green whipping

All the other fishing items I have I can buy again
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

I would take my Speedia centre pin reel. It was the first item of tackle I bought with my own money. I got it in 1957, using most of my first two weeks pay as an apprentice engineer. It cost me 54 shillings (£2.70p in today's money) from Tom Watson's tackle shop on Canal Street Nottingham and it was the only reel I used for the next ten years. It was described as a 4 inch dia, wide drum reel, which it was, but the effective diameter, the winding diameter, was only 2.5 inches. The first thing I did was to increase that diameter by drilling and inserting a second ring of pins around the circumference, to speed up the retrieve and also removed the handles. I don't use it much these days, but only need to look at it to recall magical first trips to, what were in those days, far off venues on the Witham, Welland and Nene. With the customisation I have done, moneywise it is worthless. To me sentimentally it is priceless. Pete.

What would you save?-dsc01343-3-.jpg
    Casternets

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast