Knots

mikench

Reaction score
I tend to use a uni knot or palomar knot the most but have today discovered the FG knot for attaching a flurocarbon leader to braid! Does anyone use it?

As my late grandmother used to say" do you enjoy messing" ! I do so will go and practice!!

Reaction score
No,never heard of it and don't attach braid and mono together directly,using swivels/rings etc(when I use braid).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If attatching braid to mono or fluro I use the Albright knot, personally I've never had a problem with it.
No idea how reliable the FG KNOT is but I have heard that it slips!

John Keane

Reaction score
Being an Englishman (and proud of it) I refuse to talk about the “Uni Knot” but refer to it as the name **** Walker christened it with, when he invented it, the Half-Grinner. Along with its bigger brother, the Grinner, they are, undoubtedly, the two best fishing knots. Joining braid to mono is simple with the Grinner, just put a couple of extra turns on the braid for safety.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tried the FG knot but too much of a faff for my less than nimble fingers. Looks so easy on the videos, if I also used 80lb Fluoro I dare say I could manage it a lot easier too!

For my drop shotting and jigging I rarely use more than 2ft of leader so the knot doesn’t need to pass through the rod rings, the Albright is fine for me.

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm a member of the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it club' I use a swivel and two palmar knots, never had an issue so que my moto :)

Philip

Reaction score
I thought I was using an Albright knot to join braid to Fluro bit in fact its an Alberto knot which is very similar and it works well.

However I think the FG knot actually beat the Albright/Alberto in some tests which tempted me to consider it but it looks a bit faffy to tie so I just stick with the Alberto.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I see that with the FG knot you need to put the line between your teeth. Oh-ohhh! I have a thing about putting anything like line between my teeth now, not many of the old peggies left, but learned a lesson many years ago when I chipped my front tooth using a method practised by Gord Burton. He was holding a wire trace tight in his teeth whilst using both hands to hold the pike and remove the hook. BIG mistake, especially when the pike suddenly moves!

The knot I learned to tie to join monofilament or fluorocarbon to braid was shown in a video by Matt Hayes when he was with Fox. I haven't a clue if it has a name or knot (pun intended :eek:), but it works and I've never lost a fish with it. Similar to the Alberto knot you see in videos except instead of forming a loop in the leader then winding the trace line around it, Matt's version suggested tying a simple overhand knot in the mainline (braid) leaving it open then following the same principle as the Alberto. BUT you do say 9 turns up and only 7 turns back (can be 7 up and 5 back or however you like it) before going back through the overhand knot same way as you went in. You can then close the overhand knot tight in the braid then draw the mono leader through it tightening the twisted bands of the mono.

The braid will never come undone, or hasn't with me at least, and it's effect is similar to the Alberto by the looks of things. If anyone else knows the name of this knot, please say.

seth49

Reaction score
Always used a double grinner knot to join braid to mono, never let me down.