Posting a photo: pixel limitation

mikench

Reaction score
It appears I have exceeded my allowance for photos in my posts! Not only did I not know such an allowance existed but that it was not per post, per thread or even per annum but per lifetime!!

Could one of the mods please clarify the position and tell me what the solution is! It seems perverse to me to have , at long last , a sensible method of posting pics, only to find I can no longer use it!

What can I and others in a similar position do other than use an external hosting site like post images?

john step

Reaction score
I had no idea there was a limit. Perhaps one is supposed to empty the photos on ones account somehow after a period of time?

What I have noticed is that photos on some of the older posts just disappear when the poster person has used an external hosting site. There seems to be a time limit?

The person who might know best , who seems to post a photo very frequently is PC, if he reads this thread.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd like to know what's happening, too. Yesterday evening I was told a 4th picture exceeded my quota; this morning, I was able to post a first pic, but not a second. So it's not a "lifetime" quota? But it does vary from day to day? Can someone clarify this - I'm not sure I'll want to bother writing up a session if I'm likely to find I can't put up the pics that complement the words.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One photo a day it will have to be then.:)

puRMP4J.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Using post image..

Open your reply box on FM and write your introduction then minimise the page.

Open the post image page.

73-F9-B4-B5-EEC4-49-D0-9-F82-592-ABC8-A2-EA2.jpg

Click on the ‘choose image’ box.

It will turn blue and this choice of options appears..

909-E46-B2-9983-478-F-BB93-BFF69-F241-F5-E.jpg

Click on photo library.

Now your pictures stored on your computer will appear. Click on the required picture and a blue tick will appear on it. Now click done at the top.
The picture will be uploaded and below will be a choice of options.

C9287-C14-F570-4157-96-F5-C0-C423-EFCF9-D.jpg

2nd to bottom is ‘ hotlink for forums’. Click on the blue box on the right of it.
Your pic is now copied.

Minimise the page and reopen your fm reply box and paste the code onto it.
Now click ‘ preview post’ and check if the pic is there in your post, it should be.
To paste another pic in the same reply, minimise the fm page and reopen post image, repeat the process, on post image it prompts you to ‘ upload another image’ , click that and off you go again.

Use this thread to experiment and I will try to help if you have problems..

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for that! I once wrote similar instructions, for an older version, for another poster, but I've used several methods since then and I'd completely forgotten what to do.

mikench

Reaction score
Mods is there a lifetime limit on the number/ amount of memory each member has for posting photos?

Keith M

Reaction score
I know it’s not strictly needed if you are a PostImage or Photobucket user but incase you are not: I think the max size that is often recommended for forum pictures generally is around 620 x 280 pixels.

Here’s a free online picture resizer that you can use to resize your photos (on your iPad or PC etc. or from a URL) if you need to resize a pic before adding it to a forum; although some forums will automatically resize your images before inserting them anyway.
You can also add various special effects and borders to your picture as well.
(NB: It creates a separate resized picture file and leaves the original picture file alone.)

Picresize:Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Why has no mod from FM actually answered my question for everyone's benefit and knowledge?

nottskev

Reaction score
Good question , Mike. I've gone back to using Postimage. Doesn't cost and only adds a couple of minutes to the rigmarole of putting up a pic, which in my case goes: send pic to self via email, move to PC, upload to Postimage, then to FM. I followed the instructions Simon put up on this thread, and it works fine (thanks again, Simon).

mikench

Reaction score
I agree about postimage and am happy to use it( thanks Simon) but why does my question remain unanswered?:confused:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think of the “management” as an elusive shoal of prime roach, it will take a lot of dedicated time, searching and careful feeding to lure them out,hopefully when they do appear you’ll not be disappointed.

wetthrough

Reaction score
This is the sort of thing I don't like about image hosting sites from their T&C "With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant PostImage a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content, including embedded (hotlinked) into third-party websites otherwise not affiliated with PostImage."

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It appears I have exceeded my allowance for photos in my posts! Not only did I not know such an allowance existed but that it was not per post, per thread or even per annum but per lifetime!!

Could one of the mods please clarify the position and tell me what the solution is! It seems perverse to me to have , at long last , a sensible method of posting pics, only to find I can no longer use it!

What can I and others in a similar position do other than use an external hosting site like post images?

PG ...

Maybe a read of this might throw some light on the problems vBulletin is dying? No, vBulletin is dead. | AVForums

Philip

Reaction score
Some good tips given already but one thing I have never really understood and perhaps I am missing something is why everyone is using an image hosting site before they post to FM.

I am guessing it may have something to do with storage limits but the issue with using an image hoster in the middle is that the day they decide to change something or charge you a fee that you dont want to pay all your posts will lose the images that you previously posted and you will be left with those annoying blanks and "image not found" messages in the middle of posts.

Now they have upgraded the FM site I just post the image direct to the reply box. However what i always did before and you can still do now if you wish is to use FM as the image hosters. I upload the image to a Album in FM then cut and paste the BB code into the post. The BB code can be found by clicking on the image in your album.

This way you never lose images through third parties changing things.

I have no idea if its the best way or if there is a limitation on storage but its been working for me up to now.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Read my first post Philip! I am obliged to use a third party hosting site because I have apparently exceeded some limit! Quite what that limit is and why it is imposed were the questions I posed and which remain, despite repeated requests, completely ignored by the powers that be! I am perplexed and somewhat annoyed!

What is the point of a bulletin board which finally perfects its image posting system only to then limit all members to a certain number of pixels/photos which remains a secret!! Bizarre to say the least! I could draw any number of analogies but cannot be bothered!

Philip

Reaction score
I did read your first post Mike thats why i specifically said i dont know if there is a storage limit in my post.

Have you tried since then ? Others seem to suggest its not consistant and may change day to day.

I suspect a bug or config issue in the system. I doubt its the mods job to anwser these questions. They are moderators not techniciens. Probably the most they can do is highlight the issue to the right people.

I have never had the quota issue.so it does seem a bit strange

Last edited: