What--

flightliner

Reaction score
Is your all time favourite method, the one that helps conjure up fishing at its best for you personally ?

caught any mate

Reaction score
Without a doubt shallow waggler,I remember as a kid trying to master it with lousy tackle,still trying with better gear(still failing).Those lightning fast bites......To an onlooker, I must look and sound like a guy who suffers from turrets and has got a nasty twitch as I bring back two sucked out maggots.....Who said fishing was enjoyable:)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There is a little public pool behind Ryecroft Cemetry in Walsall that is absolutely stuffed with fish , including a few double figure carp ( broke me twice ) and tench ( at least the ones I have had ) to 6 LB.
but if you went at sun rise in the middle of the week during the summer , you would often have the place to yourself.
I used to love to fish a whip with a line as long as said whip , with casters on for the roach by the Lily pads.
I used to fish a largish pole float , throw a few casters and try and hit the very fast bites.

OK with a proper pole and a shorter line I probably would have hit more bites , but there was really something mesmeric about it , mainly because I could cycle there with very little kit and , sometimes , catch a lot of very pristine roach sometimes topping half a pound.

If there was a flying ant hatch I would sometimes remove the shot altogether and fish a floating caster - you could get a bite every 20 seconds or so but they were very quick.

I probably enjoyed it so much because the bites were so prolific but , as I said , also because I had to carry hardly any gear.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I love fly fishing, lure fishing and long trotting as they're all active mobile methods that need the minimum of gear where you hunt out the fish rather than bait and wait.

If pushed I would pick fly fishing for one simple reason, wild trout rivers are the most gorgeous places to fish.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Any type of float fishing. Only a few years back, I'd probably have said "whatever method is most successful on the day". Now, I tend to fish the float when an alternate method would be more effective, or when conditions are against me.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Haven’t been fishing that long but catching fish off the surface is so exciting, whether it’s a piece of bread for carp or chub or an imitation frog being snatched by a pike. This year I can also add catching bass from the sea, the hits can be so violent!

More for the warmer months though, roll on Summer 2019!

john step

Reaction score
Under the rod top/long rod/pole float/centrepin/tench. Or carp if no tench feeding.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think most of the regulars on FM know without me saying......gott'a be swimming the stream :cool:.

peterjg

Reaction score
Laying-on using a pin and a 14ft rod over a reed bed into a 6ft deep slack with a big lump of bread as bait for roach.

Reaction score
Any type of float fishing. Only a few years back, I'd probably have said "whatever method is most successful on the day". Now, I tend to fish the float when an alternate method would be more effective, or when conditions are against me.

Exactly as above,I get guys telling me I should be using helicopter rigs ect and when I tell them I'd rather blank they don't get it,shame really because the skills I've learnt on the float are too good to waste...:)

wetthrough

Reaction score
Float. There's just something about watching a float, the versatility and the level of concentration it requires. If I ever get the hang of the float I might have a dabble at something else but don't hold your breath, long way to go yet.

bullet

Reaction score
Has to be the fly for the simplicity, all you need for the day will fit in your wader pocket, then trotting, then lure fishing for Bass.

peterjg

Reaction score
Carpinbob, re your post - you should be Breaminbob!

mikench

Reaction score
Leave Bob alone!!:)

I like float fishing for roach with a light rod and casters or maggot! I miss so many bites but there are always more!! It's probably the epitome of fishing and what I think I did as a boy!

I do like watching a tip begin to twitch and then swing round with a fish( any fish) on! I will never ever get bored with that!

rayner

Reaction score
When I used to fish the Trent it was waggler first choice with stick a close second.
Now it's pole.

flightliner

Reaction score
My favourite scenario/ method is a lowland midland river with a flow that just helps a float to go downstream. It has a good head of roach that can on occasions go to specimen proportions.
A float rig either trotted but preferably held back overdepth at the bottom of the marginal shelf -- bait can be anything, maggots, creed wheat, cheese, whatever.
It's starting to get darker and last knocking s the bites become bolder with the float tip no longer giving a preliminary rise before sliding out of sight but simply going under in a slow but unmissable manner.
Magic !!

john step

Reaction score
Further to my reply about using a float......Even with my super duper varivocals that cost me an arm and a leg watching a float for long periods still gives me eye strain and a headache.

So favourite float or not there are times when its nice to sit beside the water and wait for the buzzer to sound or the tip to do a 3 foot twitch. If the buzzer is on and the sun is warm I might just have a snooze!!!!!!!!!!!