Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Fastest method for catching numbers of fish?........

It really is a case of conditions vs personal skill level. I could not out fish my son on the pole in any conditions, I don't consider myself a poor pole fisherman but when the fish turn up he just motors and it does not look like he's moving, ya know?

I remember watching the old boys in the 50s and 60s catching on what know looks ridiculous tackle but the cream used to rise to the top 60lb of trent roach is no easy task. That was rod and reel caught.

I personally think the whip takes some beating but that said the method feeder is an equivalent if commie carp are the target, Would you say?
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Fishing a Pole and fishing a whip are totally different.

So, with all other things being equal in your swim, I always work on the basis that any fish within pole range = pole work and anything beyond = rod & reel. It's not always that way but is a general guide.

When 'Short lining' you'd be amazed at how quick you can be - both shipping out and shipping back in. Short lining for bleak is not uncommon.

The other thing most people forget is if you miss a bite on a long pole you don't have to bring the rig in. You miss the bite and stay there (lift it and drop it). With rod & reel (generally - again not always) you move the float too far to leave it so have to wind in and cast out again - so wasting time.

It really is always a case of 'Horses for courses'.

I think whip beats fixed line fishing with a rod & reel, simply because of dexterity.
    Having said that Billy Makin was deadly in his day with a long rod (17ft I think) and centrepin reel on the canals. I've only read about this - I never drew near or watched Billy.

Trying to catch fish really fast - over 300 an hour - on rod and reel might just be possible but the weight of what you're wielding - close on a pound - compared to a super-light whip - under 3oz - would be incredibly tiring and cumbersome over 5 hours. The evidence I witnessed where anglers did try to match the whip anglers was that the rod and reel anglers lost badly, struggling to get half the catch rate. In the early 80s when we still used glass fibre whips most anglers would tire badly by the last hour, it was that hard work, despite our youth. From what I know of Billy's speed fishing on tiny gudgeon, he didn't get the speed of the bleakers and rudd-bashers though 200+ an hour was possible for the first part of a match. Not sure he used a 17ft rod for speed fishing, more likely a 12ft rod.

Blog Entries

Mark Pollard caught all of his best weights from the grand union on squatt were on rod and line,as silvers would know these fish were mainly 1-3ozs,weights over 20lbs were caught more than once,

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Mark Pollard caught all of his best weights from the grand union on squatt were on rod and line,as silvers would know these fish were mainly 1-3ozs,weights over 20lbs were caught more than once,
    Even at an ounce apiece that's only 300 or so fish in 5 hours, one a minute, not quick at all. I've had 300 skimmers in a match on the waggler for a similar sort of weight, bringing them in from 20 yards to fishing to hand by the last hour.

Blog Entries

Suppose so Mark,it's a long time since I match fished,all I know is that those weights were huge for the grand union.

There's still a place for waggler on the canals (and drains) - but with generally lower weights (of roach) presentation with the pole usually trumps speed

Fishing to hand will always be the fastest if its with a short whip a long whip I have watched Italians fishing 12 meters to hand or a rod used like a whip short or long.
    You reach your maximum speed then it gets slower as you have to use the reel to cast play or land fish.
    When you could catch close in coloured water in Ireland 200lb of Roach was a good target to aim for at about 4 or 5 fish a minute depending on the stamp but it was very tiring even at close range and you hands got cut to pieces ....all about rhythm and maintaining the bites coming with correct feeding.

Santa brought me an Amazon Echo so with the thread title in mind I thought I would put it to the test! I asked the following questions;

Q. What is the fastest method for catching numbers of fish?

Alexa. A trawler

Undeterred and with a modicum of Christmas spirit, literally and metaphorically , I repeated the ?.

Alexa; Electrocution!

Still undeterred and with a cunning plan in mind I asked where in Cheshire can I catch a 3lb roach? Alexa played Michael Buble singing "let it snow"

Q. Which rod is best à Drennen Acolyte Plus or a Browning Sphère ?

A. I'm having a little trouble understanding you right now please try later!

I reckon she'd been on the pop !! Er indoors only got as far as asking " Alexeï play some Christmas music" to hoots of derision! She's got Alexeï Sayle on the brain!!

I'll try again later or tomorrow ! Have a great day everybody!
    Last edited by mikench; 25-12-2018 at 11:01.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast