Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fastest method for catching numbers of fish?........

There seems to be a number of people on FM who do a fair bit of pole fishing, and also a number who use a rod and reel so this should be interesting.....
    I often hear pole anglers saying the pole will always outfish the rod and reel saying it's quicker to get a bait out and bring the fish back etc etc. I get that if it's a whip and your just swinging the fish directly to hand, but even then i'm not convinced.
    I'm quite positive that I can wind any fish in faster on a rod and reel than a pole angler can ship a pole back, and i'm also sure I can re bait my hook and cast out faster than someone can do with a pole.

So, pole or rod and reel, which is the faster method ?

Default Re: Fastest method for catching numbers of fish?........

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    There seems to be a number of people on FM who do a fair bit of pole fishing, and also a number who use a rod and reel so this should be interesting.....
    I often hear pole anglers saying the pole will always outfish the rod and reel saying it's quicker to get a bait out and bring the fish back etc etc. I get that if it's a whip and your just swinging the fish directly to hand, but even then i'm not convinced.
    I'm quite positive that I can wind any fish in faster on a rod and reel than a pole angler can ship a pole back, and i'm also sure I can re bait my hook and cast out faster than someone can do with a pole.

So, pole or rod and reel, which is the faster method ?
    It's a good question, but I'm not sure there's an answer because of all the variables. To name just one: there's no fish to wind in quickly, unless you get the bite, via the right presentation in the right place, quickly. And I can think of situations where you're better on the rod - such as your favourite long trotting - and situations where you're better on the pole. Catching numbers of fish doesn't often come down to just getting them in quickly, although it might sometimes, and there's no doubting that the pole is the first choice method for match anglers when fish can be caught within pole distance, for a combination of unbeatable presentation, control and speed. And even, come to think of it, pin-point feeding via pots and cups.

It's not my cup of tea, and I don't say it'a better kind of fishing , but watch the likes of Andy May or Jamie Hughes (there are lots of videos on youtube) setting about catching huge numbers of carp or F1's on the pole. The speed and time-and-motion efficiency of their pole fishing is amazing, even when the fish are a decent size, and if people could out-fish them on rod and line they wouldn't have the status they do. Similarly, when I lived in Manchester and fished the canals, the bloodworm anglers from up your way had incredible speed, accuracy and finesse, and nobody would have dreamt of trying to compete with them, on that bait, without a pole.

Blog Entries

Horses for courses. A whip is the fastest of all without doubt for fish up to around 6ozs, maybe 8, but I've had carp of 2┬Żlbs on the whip and they can be a little b*gger to get in. A pole is great because you can plant the float within a couple of square inches in the same place every time so guaranteeing that you are fishing directly over the feed and especially if you're using a pole cup to feed with. Rod and line fishing only comes into it's own when a) trotting, or b) when the fish are feeding in a wider area, or c) they are bigger fish than 8ozs.

I used to fish a lake in the mid 90s where I started with a short whip of 3 metres, mine was a 6 metres one with the last three sections take-apart - I still have it! Gradually I lengthened it as more fish were caught and bites dried up until I reached the 6 metres. If I didn't take the 11m pole I had, I would go to the float and cast a little further out. It was a very deep lake dropping to over 12 feet and so it was soon time to start with the feeder.

In another swim on the same lake the drop-ff was around the 9-10metre mark and so it was the pole all the way. It was the only method that would ensure I was fishing at or near the bottom of the slope with the line running down it.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

4. Default Re: Fastest method for catching numbers of fish?........

Considering the top Italian match anglers can catch bleak at the rate of 6 a minute using a whip I'd suggest the quickest way to catch numbers of fish is with a whip.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    It's a good question, but I'm not sure there's an answer because of all the variables. To name just one: there's no fish to wind in quickly, unless you get the bite, via the right presentation in the right place, quickly. And I can think of situations where you're better on the rod - such as your favourite long trotting - and situations where you're better on the pole. Catching numbers of fish doesn't often come down to just getting them in quickly, although it might sometimes, and there's no doubting that the pole is the first choice method for match anglers when fish can be caught within pole distance, for a combination of unbeatable presentation, control and speed. And even, come to think of it, pin-point feeding via pots and cups.

It's not my cup of tea, and I don't say it'a better kind of fishing , but watch the likes of Andy May or Jamie Hughes (there are lots of videos on youtube) setting about catching huge numbers of carp or F1's on the pole. The speed and time-and-motion efficiency of their pole fishing is amazing, even when the fish are a decent size, and if people could out-fish them on rod and line they wouldn't have the status they do. Similarly, when I lived in Manchester and fished the canals, the bloodworm anglers from up your way had incredible speed, accuracy and finesse, and nobody would have dreamt of trying to compete with them, on that bait, without a pole.

As you say Kev, too many variables to give one method the overall title of "fastest method of catching fish".
    I only put this thread up to see peoples opinions .
    Sometimes a rod and reel will be the quicker method and others maybe a pole, the situation dictates that.
    As stillwater blue says for whipping out small fish straight infront of you a whip has gotta be the quickest method, unless of course you have a long enough rod .

whip....

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater blue View Post
    Considering the top Italian match anglers can catch bleak at the rate of 6 a minute using a whip I'd suggest the quickest way to catch numbers of fish is with a whip.
    At his best Ray Mumford was even quicker than that!

On small fish the whip is unbeatable. I'm slow nowadays but have had four fish in a timed 11 seconds and we once had a method that could produce 16 a minute. 10 a minute at times is achievable and my best hour in a proper match was 476 rudd, another match I had 950 rudd in the first 2 hours 55 minutes before the shoal disappeared; I'd already had enough to win easily. These catches were mostly on glass whips but carbon ones were better. I witnessed Ray Mumford get 920 roach in a 5 hours match. Hadrian Whittle's catches of bleak are in another league, his best I believe was 2100 in 5 hours.

In the right hands a pole can catch very fast with better fish.

I haven't a clue! I'll stick to a rod and reel and still be slow!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I haven't a clue! I'll stick to a rod and reel and still be slow!

Me n'all .

Although i'm confident I can catch small prolific fish feeding as shown in the video just as fast with my rod and reel, infact I have done, just didnt need to operate the reel .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast