Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default What makes a reel poor to you?

I just wonder what equates to a poor reel for you guys,I can think of a few things that do it for me,but I bought a drennan 4000 fd reel a few years ago now and thought it looked good,ran smoothly but let me down in an unexpected way,it created line spin which caused loops of line to fall off the spool,even though it worked perfectly after loading a new line,but not for long,I thought the anti twist line roller was stuck,but it wasnt,now this must be a design fault as I've found out since that two other anglers had the same problem,how about you?

Default Re: What makes a reel poor to you?

A poor reel for me is one that draws attention to itself. Why is the line twisted? Where did that loop come from? How did the line get round there? I've had one or two like that, and I got rid quickly. Good reels look after the line and do their job,and you don't even have to think about them.

Blog Entries

As you say a reel should act as a reservoir for line and let you cast freely,whilst playing fish and winding without major issues...

A reel that gets line caught behind the spool too frequently.

Blog Entries

Most has been said but I don't like reels that feel sloppy. Poor control at low drag settings is another minus. I'm not convinced that more bearings = better reel either. I had/have a Drennan 3000fd (complete with line twist!) where one of the crank shaft bearings had ~0.1mm/0.004" play from side to side. Up until then I didn't know you could buy rubbish bearings.

The drag is a big factor for me, no sticking whatsoever.
    I like them to feel tight, with minimal play in the rotor and handle.
    I suppose the main thing is that they do what you want them to, without any annoying issues like the line trapping thing already mentioned.
    I would also class them as poor if they don't last long, or start to get sloppy quickly.

I imagining this is a fixed spool were talkin', about.
    For me a reel must feel solid, the handles shouldn't have much play and it should have an instant anti reverse, so not dropping back !
    It should be smooth to wind and have a good retrieve ratio.
    Other obvious things are not having the line go behind the spool and it must have a nice free running roller. If the reel is for float and lighti'sh legering I like to be able to reach the spool and trap the line with my finger.
    I prefer a rear drag but so long as all the other points are covered then i'm ok with either front or rear drag.

Bearing in mind I don't use a drag mechanism ... and the good answers already

a poor reel for me for floatfishing would:
    not be able to have a single (rod) handed bale release.
    be too heavy (although mine are quite heavy)
    not pay out line freely for trotting
    not have shallow spool options
    have limited winding power to get large fish moving away from snags (without just pumping)
    need constant maintenance and have a short life

so I use Mitchell Match and ABU 507 (501 on canals and drains)

for legering I would add
    be too free running so that handle turns just by flow on line
    low grade gears that get mashed by constantly retrieving heavy feeders (i Killed a shimano aero match with that)
    and remove the single hand requirement
    too narrow a spool to cast long distance when needed

So I use Daiwa TDM 3012 for most occasions

Might seem an insignificant issue for most but the knob is very important to me. My fingers get less nimble as time goes by with the onset of arthritis. A rod sitting on a rod rest waiting ages for a fish isn’t such a problem but enjoying lure fishing when you are constantly casting and retrieving can be hard work.

I have difficulty with the t shaped knobs which are popular with the mid size reels and much prefer something like this one I found on EBay,

they are quite rare and the only other option is to buy from Japan but they can work out very expensive, often £30!

If anyone has these but prefers a t shape, let me know!

Don’t ask me why but I cannot stand double handles either.

Being a little( matter of opinion!) OCD I can't live with poor line lay! I too have a Daiwa TDM 3012 and I have respooled it several times but its still poor! As a result it languishes in my fishing chest of drawers! I didn't like my Procaster either for line getting under the spool but , touch wood, since changing the line it hasn't occurred (yet)!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast