budget scales

nicky

Reaction score
Im looking to buy my first proper set of scales i only have between £20 - £30 to spend and it's doing my nut in trying to work out what to get.

I want something that i can use to weigh roach to the nearest ounce but will also way a decent pike or carp.

digital or mechanical i dont mind i just dont want to buy rubbish and waste my money.

Any recommendations

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
Dragoncarp sell this one ,<a href="javascript/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gifhowPopUp('info%5fC501SET%2ehtml',450,350);">
l_C501SET.jpg

</a>
http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/acatalog/nets_and_fish_handling.html 55lbs Scale Set

Ref: C501SET
Price: £14.99

25Kg/55lbs dual marked dial scales with Big Fish Weigh Net and zipped protective pouch.

probably better for weighing bigger fish than tidlers

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
I've had huge issues with my Rueben Heaton's (the most recommended budget scale) including: dial needle becoming detached at the gentlest knock (now glued on), zeroing thread bolt becoming loose from holder (now glued), and finally dial pointer gear jumping teeth on pinion (solved with monofilament packing). I now have a set of lightweight scales that do work to about 2% accuracy, but sheesh it took some mods to get there. Buy at your own risk, perhaps mine were put together by the factory gibbon?

nicky

Reaction score
I was edging towards the ruebens but you have made me think again now.

I've also been looking at these berkeley ones althought ehy come in three weight limits 65, 50, and 30 cant find anywhere that gives the increments they weigh in
scales-vwd.jpg

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've had no problem with the waymasters myself, I've used them for a number of years, and I stilluse them as my spare set.

I do think though Nick you're asking for the impossible. If you want decent scales then £30 to £50 would be a starting point, and for that I would guess you would get a product which is accurate/reliable only in one field or another.... ie Big fish (carp/pike ect) with resolutions at a minimum of 4ozs. Or ones which are good to nearest ounce but max out in the 10lbs to 20lbs range......

A set of 40lb Avons would be my advice (best of both worlds) good to a couple of ounces (usually) and will cope with almost any 'monster' that may show up. They may stretch your buget though............ I've gone digital now, but I think they still sell for £40?

Digitals are good, but you get what you pay for.Bugetshould give you a 'positive' reading, but wether ornot they are accurate or repeatreliabely is questionable.

Choice is yours...........

For the record the Guy in our lab at work recommended these to me (he works in scales and calibration day to day). Maybe not a fasionable or well marketed as the Fox range, but my set have been faultless!

Here