Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pilchard oil on flys and lures?

John you've just reminded me of a method a mate of mine 25 years ago was using for barbel on the Severn around Shrewsbury. A square piece of pink sponge squeezed in liquidised Luncheon Meat with a little added veggie oil. Reckoned he could fish all day without losing the sponge unlike meat, and swore by it for barbel bagging as the Severn was back then.

I never got round to trying it myself but given the growth in artificials and their catchability of the present day might be worth giving it a go when the rivers up and coloured and smelly baits are the order of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    I'm going to get all old fashioned and ethical about this, my opinions only. If you are lure or fly fishing the idea is to fool the fish with an imitation, naturally it doesn't always work, whether a dry fly for trout or a foot long lure for big pike. But the if you fool the fish you have won and if the fish turns away then you have lost - learn more and present the lure better. The whole point is not purely to land a big bag of fish.

For instance, I don't consider chucking a booby (the fly!) out on a fast sink line, from bank or boat, and fishing it static just off the bottom to be fly fishing. Dunking it in pilchard oil could be the next step and imo have little connection to the art of fly fishing. I am sure it would be very, very effective but what is the point?
    So possibly it could work on both, in certain circumstances, but I ask why do it, just ledger a pilchard instead.
    I know what you mean Molehill but we all draw a line somewhere and there are no rules as to where that line should be barring some places that insist on a purist mode of fishing.. For a very casual lure or fly fisher who doesn't catch many fish using these methods I wouldn't mind enhancing my chances if I could with a bit more subterfuge, all fishing is only that really; the art of subterfuge to overcome the fishes natural fear. Overcoming its sense of smell as well as its sight and natural instincts, is it wrong with whatever form we use.
    Last edited by markg; 12-01-2019 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    John you've just reminded me of a method a mate of mine 25 years ago was using for barbel on the Severn around Shrewsbury. A square piece of pink sponge squeezed in liquidised Luncheon Meat with a little added veggie oil. Reckoned he could fish all day without losing the sponge unlike meat, and swore by it for barbel bagging as the Severn was back then.

I never got round to trying it myself but given the growth in artificials and their catchability of the present day might be worth giving it a go when the rivers up and coloured and smelly baits are the order of the day.
    Another thing I did was on the Tidal when I arrived to find it in flood. I had never envisioned the river could get that high. The weir at Collingham had almost disappeared with just a crease showing where it was.

I filled a big blockend feeder with large halibut pellets that took ages to dissolve and fished with one on the hair. One of the few occasions I have fished here immediately below the rod top!

I reasoned that loose feed was a waste of time but the filled feeder would sent plenty of scent downstream. It worked a treat.

Blog Entries

Skippy is lucky it wasn't eel oil. Now that stinks but something akin to a dog's anal gland.

I remember an article in CF in 1996, then I looked up a Google and found this to explain it -

Back in April of 1996, Tony Miles did an article for Coarse Fisherman in which he compared the results of fishing Mackerel tails flavoured with Rod Hutchinson's Eel, Smelt and Mackerel Pike Attractors. The final tally of Pike over 10 LB was 5 to Mackerel Oil, 12 to Smelt Oil and an impressive 30 to Eel Oil.
    Posted by a Steve Russell in Fishing Warehouse, if anyone knows of it.

Well I read the very same article and I too was impressed. At the time I had an account with a wholesaler who dealt with Hutchie's stuff so I ordered some, had to buy 6 bottles, but boy how I looked forward to the results. First problem was it was so thick I could get it into a needle even one with a very wide bore. Second was, yes, everything around me stank like a dog's anal gland (we'd had a dog with that trouble). Third, even when I got some in or on the baits there was no noticeable difference in catch rate, in fact I blanked more regularly that I had before.

The only good use it ever came to was when a chap down the road used to park his car in front of our gate and when asked to shift it we just got mouthfuls of abuse. So every time he did it, I took a little dropper out with me full of the stuff and dribbled it over his fresh (?) air intakes. Hopefully his car started to smell like a dog's anal gland, but as for his parking, the police sorted that for us.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I've tried most winterised oils on me deadbaits at Bury Hill but passed on the eel oil having had a sniff of it. They are all as disgusting to use as each other and the only thing I noticed was that I seemed to get a few more pike on the "oiled" baits which was not the idea at all....hence me abandoning the idea.

I even tried oil in a foam feeder once......i got covered in the stuff. It was even more disgusting to do than injecting oil into the bait. I ended up just dipping the bait in a pot of oil but it just got everywhere.

For anyone who's tried a little LRF or HRF, the brothers White over in Jersey always recommended a little of what they called 'sauce' on a lure to enhance the attraction. Recipes were kept secret but I think the assorted oils and flavours were blended with petroleum jelly to not only help contain the mess, but also increase the time said 'sauce' was present on the lure. Additions such as glitter for added visual enhancement were not uncommon. I received a batch from a friend in Harwich who owned an LRF lure business for a while, God knows what the postie thought as he squeezed it through the letterbox. It didn't stay in the house long...

One of the first Japanese LRF soft lures imported and sold widely in the UK was the EcoGear Pocket In Mebaru set with two of three different soft lure types and half a dozen jigheads in a pocket size plastic case also had what looked like a Cod Liver oil capsule in a blister pack to be applied for added attraction. I've still got a couple somewhere, hopefully intact.

Ecogear by the way was/is I think a division of Marukyu, who still produce groundbaits and also the Marukyu Isome LRF bait/lure. The bait/lure distinction gets a bit grey as they're made from a vegetable based protein with in-built attractants that leach out in use to apparently make the target species hang on just that little bit longer to allow setting the hook.

I'm going off on a tangent now, apologies, the missus has the remote....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12