Centrepin reels-is it just a spin....

gordond

Reaction score
I have a much read copy of Geoffrey Bucknall's book Big Pike (1965). One day I would like to try using a big centre pin for heavy spinning or wobbling a dead bait as he describes.
The casting might not be easy, but playing a fish directly of the reel should be fun (judging by my experience playing fish when fly fishing).
I suspect that finding the reel might be the difficult part.
In the meantime I will continue using a multiplier.
Gordon

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a much read copy of Geoffrey Bucknall's book Big Pike (1965). One day I would like to try using a big centre pin for heavy spinning or wobbling a dead bait as he describes.
The casting might not be easy, but playing a fish directly of the reel should be fun (judging by my experience playing fish when fly fishing).
I suspect that finding the reel might be the difficult part.
In the meantime I will continue using a multiplier.
Gordon

I've caught quite a few pike whilst using a centrepin, they are good fun to play but nothing like as good as a barbel, the pike just don't last as long. They weren't massive pike but I think several were over 15lb, so they weren't tiddlers.
I have had some purpose caught ones on livebaits and deadbaits but the majority have been bycatches after they'd snatched a fish as I reeled it in and the hook has come free from the fish the pike has taken and then got stuck in the pikes mouth. You would be surprised at how much pressure you can put on a pike with a 14's hook and 6lb mono if the hook is in a place so as the line doesn't catch on the pikes teeth.
I honestly think your better off lure fishing with your multiplier or a fixed spool. Winding in a lure with a pin would be too much like a job for me.

gordond

Reaction score
I would only use the centre pin for the retro charm. Much of my lure fishing involves slowing down the retrieve any way.
I believe that there are still people using big centrepin for cod fishing off the cliffs - Scarborough style.
And the Australians still use the Alvey. I have an old one I found in an antique/junk shop. Never used it as it is RHW.

Gordon

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would only use the centre pin for the retro charm. Much of my lure fishing involves slowing down the retrieve any way.
I believe that there are still people using big centrepin for cod fishing off the cliffs - Scarborough style.
And the Australians still use the Alvey. I have an old one I found in an antique/junk shop. Never used it as it is RHW.

Gordon

You would only need a 4 1/2 to 5 inch pin for your piking.
A okuma sheffield or aventa pro would be fine.....if you really have your mind set on trying one out.

Keith M

Reaction score
In my opinion, all these Fixed spool reel versus centrepin threads where some say the fixed spool reel is a lot better than a centrepin and then others saying the complete opposite are fairly pointless.

To me comparing a centrepin with a fixed spool reel is like comparing a horse with a racing car; they can both take me from A to B, but over rough ground the horse will fare a lot better and over smooth ground the racing car will fare better.

I use a Centrepin reel for long trotting on small flowing streams and rivers because I find the centrepin reel is the ideal tool for the job, not only because of the extra float and bait control that I sometimes get as my float is moving downstream, but also because of the feeling of exilleration that I get from striking and then playing a decent sized fish upstream on a centrepin reel while feeling every twist and turn more directly and not cushioned through a host of gears.

I also like using a centrepin when I’m fishing the lift method after Tench at fairly close ranges, mainly because of the ease of being able to make tiny adjustments to the tension between the rodtip and float as I set my float, and also because of the fun I get from playing the Tench on a pin.

I also very occasionally use a centrepin if I am fishing very close in for Carp, but in this situation it’s mainly just for the enjoyment that I get from playing a Carp at close range using a centrepin.

Yes I could use a fixed spool reel to do all of the above but to me it would be a little like using a hammer to fix a watch.

However; for waggler fishing I much prefer to use fixed spool reels simply because without much effort I can cast a lot further and with a lot more accuracy, and I can place a light waggler close up to far off lillies, or the far bank or other obstacles if I want to, at a much further distance than I can with a pin; and I can also sink my line to fight any surface drift a lot easier too.
Plus I can retrieve my float a little quicker and with a lot less effort.

When I’m bottom fishing I also prefer to use a fixed spool reel because of the advantages that using a fixed spool reel sometimes gives me; like being able to cast at longer ranges and sink my line with very little effort at any range, and wind down quickly when tightening up any slack. I also find it much easier to touch leger or use a Quivertip too; or use bobbins and feeders etc. with a fixed spool reel.

For lure fishing I also much prefer to use fixed spool reels.

So I wouldn’t like to be limited to either using centrepin reels or fixed spool reels exclusively because It would be a little like tying one hand behind my back.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Gordon

I used to have a big center pin which I used off a boat in the sea. It swiveled round on the reel seat so the line came off like a fixed spool which was handy for dropping down in 100ft of water. I could cast with it as well. Never see that design anywhere these days but could be useful for casting a pike lure some distance and then swivel it back so its a center pin again but I don't know if such a reel exists anymore..I wouldn't mind one for coarse fishing come to think of it.

Last edited:

gordond

Reaction score
Alvey reels .... centrepin that pivot 90° to cast like a fixed spool are popular in Australia. Most are RHW unfortunately.
Gordon

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Alvey reels .... centrepin that pivot 90° to cast like a fixed spool are popular in Australia. Most are RHW unfortunately.
Gordon

Just had a quick google, directed to eBay, they are expensive, £100-£150. They call them side cast reels. I don't need one that bad as I mainly beach fish these days and rarely pike fish but could be good for pike lure fishing maybe? If I remember the one I had which was not as good as the ones on eBay I could cast a fair distance, the downside was the line getting caught on the handle if I remember rightly Food for thought though, I would consider it for heavy lure fishing maybe.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Thank you-The Ray £278, the Shakespeare £70, the quality must be a lot different but both have handle designs that will negate the line catching problem to a minimum but the Shakespeare slightly less so possibly; they look slightly smaller. That was the problem with my old sea reel it had bulbous handles but these don't look like that will be a problem. I think these would be a good option for Pike lure fishing, the ability to cast a distance and the pleasures of playing a fish on a pin.
The other bit of a downside as I have just remembered it is the fact you have to turn the spool manually which is a bit of a nuisance to have to do after you have just cast. With a fix spool, you are immediately back in control by winding the handle which is a bit easier..

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
The other side cast reel I can think of is the anglers scout. Never used any of them but some say there is problems with line twist.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
The other side cast reel I can think of is the anglers scout. Never used any of them but some say there is problems with line twist.

My father had an alvey sidecast reel back in the late 60’s and he used to suffer from a lot of line twist when he used his.

Keith

seth49

Reaction score
When I salmon fished I used a Shakespeare Lincoln a lot for trotting a shrimp, and bouncing a worm along the bottom, it worked fine with braid, didn’t suffer from line twist with braid, especially older braid that was limper than new.

It was good fun playing salmon on this reel, enjoyed doing it.
It’s a pity they don’t have a ratchet on them, they would have been good for margin fishing for carp, all they had was a friction brake which wasn’t much good.