Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you try to catch every fish you can?

The big rivers around here can be very poor midwinter, and I've been fishing local brooks and small rivers last few times out.

The fish, mostly chub, are quite scarce; the habitat is not great, with a lot of threats and a chequered history.

The places are a pleasure to fish, if you like that miniature kind of thing, and it can be amazing to see what's managing to live in them.

Stuck for somewhere to fish for a couple of hours today, I considered going again, but I felt I should give these fish a break - I'd probably catch the same ones from the same swims.

Are there any fish you could catch, but decide not to, for whatever reasons?

Default Re: Do you try to catch every fish you can?

The only fish I do not like catching are eels, trying the Dove tomorrow for chub & grayling if there playing
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

If the weathers anything like round here Kev, i'd give it a miss bud .

Regarding the fish being the same ones, Maybe one or two will be but there'll most likely be a lot more there that you have never seen so I wouldn't let that bother you .

4. Default Re: Do you try to catch every fish you can?

I fish a smallish river for chub and barbel and one swim in particularly seems to have a few resident barbel, that are very recognisable, that don't seem to stray very far from the swim and every time I fish the swim I catch the same fish so I don't often fish the swim as it doesn't seem very fair.

I tend to avoid certain species in warm weather.
    Last edited by stillwater blue; 15-01-2019 at 09:15.

Blog Entries

I don't normally fish for pike and zander,mainly because I don't enjoy them much,I don't target eels,but don't mind catching the odd one of two,I don't target dace,but they are lovely fish...

Blog Entries

I’ve occasionally just stopped fishing on my local stream after catching a couple of Barbel, and just sat back and soaked up a pleasant evening and the wildlife around me, or had a wander along the stream observing fish in the clear stream even though I knew I could catch more if I had carried on fishing.

I’ve also done the same on my local estate lake a couple of times. There is often a lot more to fishing than just catching fish.

And I dislike catching lots of tiddlers almost as much as I hate catching small snotty bream and I would rather just sit and watch paint dry than spend a day catching stunted silvers; unless there was the occasional much larger fish amongst them to keep my interest going or I was fishing in a match.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 15-01-2019 at 10:00.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I think your reference to repeat captures is interesting. My main club lake has a few good pike from time to time. I have 3 from there this winter with a 4th which was a repeat. I am not going to fish there for pike for a while as it doesn't seem fair.
    I know carpers seem not to worry about repeats having pet names for them but I would personally rather not know how many times Fred and Mable have been out.

I am happy to catch any fish! For some reason I haven't caught many Abyssinian Tench in the last 12 months but those I have have often been a good size!

Thanks for the replies. It may be illogical, but I don't have any qualms about how often I fish swims on bigger waters. But on these little streams and brooks, I have the feeling that only one or two fish live in the limited swims, and I'd feel vaguely bad about having them out on a regular basis! They're often in quite poor habitats with very limited space, and I'm half inclined to go and feed them and not fish for them more than occasionally. I wondered if anyone else knows of fish they could catch but choose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It may be illogical, but I don't have any qualms about how often I fish swims on bigger waters. But on these little streams and brooks, I have the feeling that only one or two fish live in the limited swims, and I'd feel vaguely bad about having them out on a regular basis! They're often in quite poor habitats with very limited space, and I'm half inclined to go and feed them and not fish for them more than occasionally. I wondered if anyone else knows of fish they could catch but choose not to.
    Kev, I would imagine the fish in those stocked ponds you fish now and then get caught far more often than the ones in your local small rivers?
    If fishing the same swims in those rivers bothers you, can't you try other stretches?
    If the small rivers are tib's of your large locaal river they wil have lots of fish traffic roaming back and forth in search of food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast