Weathers not lookin' ggod for fishin....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sky is now white and it's snowing quite heavily here in the NW :(.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Here it is just damned cold at the moment but the forecast for the next 5 days is for sub-zero temperatures with a possibility of snow.

As far as I'm concerned that rules out any type of fishing but rules in my local pub' that has a lovely proper fire burning all day long.

Today I'll be missing out but tomorrow I'll definitely be there for lunch . . . .

rayner

Reaction score
We've had no snow yet apart from the slightest sniff on a couple of mornings.
It really doesn't bother me, if any snow settles I stay home. Any appointments I have just get cancelled.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The snow didn't stick, thank god for that !
It turned to quite nasty freezing rain which immediatley made my fingers ache when I went outside for some firewood....got me own propper fire Peter so no need to go the pub ;) :w..
Micro dogs love it......

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
My gauge didn't register anything above 1 degree yesterday and today looks much the same, with a slight chance of a minimal improvement for Sunday, when i hope to cast a line. I have a pal who is prepared to check the still waters I fish (for any sign of ice forming) on a reasonably regular basis so I don't make pointless 35+ mile journeys, only to find conditions more suitable to Torville & Dean than to a fisherman!

I don't expect too much tomorrow by way of fish but I will do my level best and it will be a test of my resolve to chop and change tactics in search of the odd fish. I'm not sure, but i hope this sudden cold snap hadn't had an immediate effect on water temperature and the roach will still be up for a meal, but that is with a dollop of wishful thinking!

As with tigger and others, the dreaded snow has held off around the Reading Berks area and I'm praying it stays that way in the coming weeks, but I have my doubts......

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and sitting watching the garden birds racing around the garden yesterday, the odd thought passed through my head as to whether I'd made the most of the mild spell of the past two months, but when I check my diary for a rough count of roach caught since the beginning of November I cannot be anything but chuffed and totally satisfied with 250+ fish.

I think the next two months might produce something less than this figure, though...............................

Good luck to all those who venture out.

ps The extra flask, warmer boots, thicker socks and hand warmers ready to go!!

Last edited:

Reaction score
Well I'm going this morning,going to try the Ouzel at MK for a few hours at least,flask is made,going to leave soon....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Best of luck to you - a brave man indeed.....

I don't think you will be fighting for the best swims, though!!

mikench

Reaction score
Good luck Alan! It looks reasonable out but cold at 3c! Daughter has come home for the weekend with her beau so it would be churlish to go fishing!:)

john step

Reaction score
Not fishing this morning but fishing related in the cold.
A work party to repair and maintain the otter fence. We got a good section repaired and had a laugh and banter and did not notice the cold at all.

Reaction score
Well my day was a disaster from start to finish,got my tackle out to the garage and the elasticated hood tightener caught on my bag,pinged back and gave me black,fat lip,I then went to the Ouzel only to find it in awful condition,gin clear,hardly any flow,with weed beds normally gone by now still in place,went from there to the Ivel,slipped on the mud and smashed my full flask,to top that I was plagued by minnows and caught just a roach and a dace,should have stayed at home,even though I didn't feel cold...

seth49

Reaction score
Well my day was a disaster from start to finish,got my tackle out to the garage and the elasticated hood tightener caught on my bag,pinged back and gave me black,fat lip,I then went to the Ouzel only to find it in awful condition,gin clear,hardly any flow,with weed beds normally gone by now still in place,went from there to the Ivel,slipped on the mud and smashed my full flask,to top that I was plagued by minnows and caught just a roach and a dace,should have stayed at home,even though I didn't feel cold...

Some people are just born lucky, aren’t they.:rolleyes:

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Well done Mr. Whitty!

You saw a roach and a dace you would never have seen, faced a challenge and came out , in my opinion, a winner.

I am glad that the slip did not injure you. The loss of the flask is a bit of a negative nevertheless.

You were there and you will remember it!

All the best

lakhyaman

P.S. It is 14 degrees centigrade here and I am under two duvets and as far as I am concerned the Crown Jewels are so much ice! What do you all know about being cold? Average day temps are 26 C.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Alan, just thank your lucky stars that the toggle didn't hit you in the eye !

flightliner

Reaction score
The snow didn't stick, thank god for that !
It turned to quite nasty freezing rain which immediatley made my fingers ache when I went outside for some firewood....got me own propper fire Peter so no need to go the pub ;) :w..
Micro dogs love it......

How cosy and homey Ian, very snug,
Lovely !

Reaction score
Alan, just thank your lucky stars that the toggle didn't hit you in the eye !

I had thought that Ian,it's amazing how something you use regularly can come back and bite you,the best is the sympathy I'm getting at home,not....lol. After that happened I should have put my gear back in the house,but I'm too thick for that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got back from Sunday lunch at the pub' and there is a clear blue sky here byt still perrishingly cold . . . .

I feel much better now as I'm full of roast beef and all the trimmings and apple pie and proper custard.

I had a good look at the river across the road and by the pub but still not interested. Both setions a really look nice but I have both the owner's permission to coarse fish it providing I ask first.