Class A eels in the Thames

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Eels in the Thames have been found to have been "hyperactive" because of the high levels of cocaine in the capital's river.
A recent study by Kings College London has found that there are so many Londoners regularly taking the drug that the city's water treatment plants are failing to filter out it out from the users' urine - and the contaminated waste water is leaking back into the waterways.
In turn, this means that fish and other animals living in the city's rivers and canals are ingesting small amounts of the class-A drug - and eels, in particular, are buzzing.
The study - which was conducted from a monitoring station near the Houses of Parliament - has been read alongside a report published by the University of Naples Federico II, where European eels were put in water containing a small dose of cocaine.
They found the fish “appeared hyperactive” compared to eels kept in cocaine-free waters. The Naples researchers found the drug accumulated in the brain, muscles, gills, skin and other tissues of the cocaine-exposed eels.
Their skeletal muscle showed evidence of serious injury, including breakdown and swelling, which had not healed 10 days after they were removed from the drug-contaminated water.
Concentration of Thames cocaine 'so high'
King's College London researchers said the blame lay with the amount of coke-users in the capital and pointed out: "London is known as one of the highest consumers of cocaine and this suggested everyday usage".
They added that the concentration of cocaine found in the Thames was so high it "lay outside of the quantifiable range".
And it wasn't just cocaine that the eels were high on as they also found traces of caffeine too in the wide-awake river creatures.
"Increases in caffeine, cocaine and benzoylecgonine [the main metabolite of cocaine] were observed 24 hours after sewer overflow events," said the King's College researchers.
"Concentrations of cocaine and benzoylecgonine remained high in wastewater across the week with only a minor increase over the weekend, which is not consistent with other cities," they added, which meant Londoners appear to be on it 24/7.

Reaction score
Bring in the death penalty for cocaine use,we could do with a reduction in population...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I find it just a shame, yet another toxic by-product of human selfishness. Wish I had an answer but I don't. Its a challenge for this century to find answers to all this pollution, plastic, gasses, recycling that doesn't get recycled, drug urine etc etc. The law, science, politicians, life gurus, moral leaders, whoever, its going to be something they all will have to work out between them. Imagine, eels high on cocaine, its funny in one surreal way but the reality! Its just getting past something, I don't know the right word but it just is.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Interesting that a monitoring station was near the Houses of Parliament . Proves just how rajjed the occupants are ! Lol

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Hmmm! Having just had an eel pass installed at Marlow on the Thames and not being sure as to how many eels are using it as yet, I wonder if I got my hands on a kilo or two of cocaine and just put a pinch by the entrance every night whether that would encourage them to enter it? Let's face it, they're probably already addicted by the time they've passed Westminster and they'll be in need of another fix.
20181004_130235.jpg

peterjg

Reaction score
It makes you wonder what other chemicals or germs are NOT being filtered out and put into our rivers?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It makes you wonder what other chemicals or germs are NOT being filtered out and put into our rivers?
That's the major problem with endocrine disruptors. Also, anywhere from 900,000 to 4,000million particles of microplastics per day can be released from the largest STWs and the majority of them come from washing artificial fibres and tyres from road surfaces.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Interesting that a monitoring station was near the Houses of Parliament . Proves just how rajjed the occupants are ! Lol

I wondered what all that snorting noise was for.

Nice eel pass Jeff, hope it works.

Looking on the bright side it should liven the bream up a bit.
:)

The only answer I can think of is the water companies have got to clean all the water up too an inth degree especially around cities. But then the cost should fall on the companies and the cocaine suppliers maybe but how that would happen I have no idea but, its a nice thought.
I never thought I would be reading an article one day about cocaine high eels.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
I find Eels are energetic enough for my liking....can't imagine what a hyperactive coked up one would be like :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They don't even filter out the sanitary towels round here, i've hooked and landed them so fresh they've still been full of claret !

bullet

Reaction score
Same down here, well grim...hanging on the branches of trees, especially after a spate.