Jack Pike on sweetcorn?!

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Desperate to get out, despite the uninspiring, cold grey weather, I went to the SLR (Small Local River) for a quick session, hoping for a chub or perch, armed with bread, red maggots and sweetcorn. after a few very small roach and 2 minnows,I switched from the red maggots to a grain of sweetcorn on a link legered 14 barbless hook.
after assuming a slight drop-back of the tip was another annoying tiddler, I started to wind in and found I did have a fish on, Hardly a major battle, it weaved left then right then came directly towards me, and as it got near some close in dead reeds, I could see it was very clearly a Jack Pike of around 16'' long at a guess,
just as it got within inches of the landing net, it dived for the snags and the line went slack, the 5lb fluoro bitten off close to the hook.
the question is, would a Jack go for sweetcorn, or is it more likely that I'd hooked a small roach or similar again, and the pike went for that as it was being reeled in?
any theories guys?
cheers
Michael.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
I've had a 13lber on corn, it took it as I was winding in, so more likely the movement than the actual corn.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've had a 13lber on corn, it took it as I was winding in, so more likely the movement than the actual corn.

My mate Gino had a 14lb Pike within seconds of his bright red Strawberry flavoured boilee hitting the bottom and I think that must have been the movement of the boilee as it settled on the bottom.

Keith

ian g

Reaction score
I caught quite a few pike accidentally on odd baits , corn , bread and worms mainly . I suspect they usually just go for something moving . I only started targeting them with deadbaits the last couple of seasons but for some reason I still have more success when not targeting them , 2 jacks on Saturday on worms while targeting perch , nothing the other week on dead baits.

Philip

Reaction score
I recall on the Kennet casting a lump of luncheon meat onto a gravel shelf where it was visible and sitting back to watch events. I was hoping for a Barbel but a Pike, a good double, drifted into view inched up to the bait nose first stopped an inch or two from it for a good look then sucked it up sweet as a nut. I had it on for a while but the inevitable happened and it bit me off. I always had this idea that Pike caught on "non" Pike baits had probably mistaken it for something else but that Pike at least certainly appeared to know what it was about to eat given the good long look it had first.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I fish a water where pike are fairly regularly caught on boilies. I'm not talking about just bright coloursor on the retrieve either. I've also seen them caught on lumps of meat and halibut pellets.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have had pike on bread when fishing the Shropshire union canal,also had them attacking my plummet on the same canal. This canal is not clear it is more of a cocoa colour. So I am wondering what made them go for bread and plummet,these have not been one off instances,

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, seems it's not that unheard of then. Is there any tactic when you realise a Pike is on, when using no trace/not intentionally fishing for them, to reduce the chance of a line bite through while playing the fish? wondered if I'd been quicker with the landing net before it dived for cover very close in, and got the net under it a little further out, maybe would have landed it.

ian g

Reaction score
Not sure about tactics , I'd say it was pot luck really . I hooked both pike in the scissors but that was just luck . Only thing I would say is you have more chance if you strike early but I really don't think there is much you can do