Preston carbonactive sentient 15/17 float rod

ben10

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking into buying one of these currently, second hand but has only been used twice.

It looks a lovely rod but hard to find much info on it.

Does anyone know the line rating for the rod? Id be looking to use it for general trotting I.e. Not specimen float fishing so biggest question I have, is it OK for smaller species? Is it forgiving enough in the tip and is it balanced enough to hold for a period of time?

Many thanks.

nottskev

Reaction score
I have the 15/17 model prior to the one you mention. It was claimed to be versatile, with a non-locking action allowing a wide span of use, and I've found that to be true. It's fine in the tip, and can be used with lines of .10 and .8 for roach; equally, it has a very elastic through action, and I've used it a lot for fishing close in for tench and crucians with hooklengths of .14 and .16, and it's excellent at this. Preston said it was ok with lines up to 8lb, but I haven't done that, though I've no reason to doubt it.

It's very nice at 15'. It's not an Acolyte, but it's light enough and well-balanced, and can be comfortably used for trotting. I rarely use it at 17'. It's ok and works well enough, but it's an option, for me, for the occasional swim that needs it for some reason.

I bought mine in about 2002 and it's still going strong - the finish and fittings are very good. In fact, I've been so pleased with it for fishing close in with a pin that I bought another on ebay a while back just as a
precaution against breaking it one day.

You'd need to check if the spec is similar, but I'd guess it will prove to be the case.

ian g

Reaction score
I have that model which I bought a couple of years ago foe ebay , It's a nice rod , pretty versatile rod and handles fine lines reasonably well . I use mine mostly for perch fishing on the Severn laying on so it spends most time in the rod rests but it's light enough for trotting as Kev says it isn'r as light as an Acolyte but it's fine. The spec is really mice , I have a couple of later models at different lengths which aren't as high a spec. Really nice rod

ben10

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like it might be bang on for just general trotting then... Looks like I'm taking a trip to go get it then.

ben10

Reaction score
Went and picked the rod up, as you say it's certainly not acolyte light but at 15ft it isn't too bad... A bit unwieldy at 17ft but a nice soft tip that bends through the mid section so although I've only had a waggle, I feel it will be more than capable with a mixed bag on the Thames. Thanks guys.