Improvising houshold or other items for fishing

Philip

Reaction score
As a kid me and & my mates you to fish with hopelessly inadequate gear. An overnight fishing trip was basially exactly the same as a day fishing trip with the addition of a torch & that usually didnt work very well either !

...no bivvy, bedchair, sleeping bag, special clothing or anything else...we just stayed up all night & any "sleep" involved lying on the bank. We literally put ourselves through hell, caught very little but for some insane reason where always chomping at the bit to do it all again.

Nowadays if its raining I knock it on the head :)

terry m

Reaction score
As a kid me and & my mates you to fish with hopelessly inadequate gear. An overnight fishing trip was basially exactly the same as a day fishing trip with the addition of a torch & that usually didnt work very well either !

...no bivvy, bedchair, sleeping bag, special clothing or anything else...we just stayed up all night & any "sleep" involved lying on the bank. We literally put ourselves through hell, caught very little but for some insane reason where always chomping at the bit to do it all again.

Nowadays if its raining I knock it on the head :)

I can identify exactly with this post.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Re the tripod, I have removed the top section as Phillip suggested and fashioned a rod rest on top. I found two of the leg joints were broken and did not stay fixed so I managed to put a couple of small thin plastic tie straps around each one and with a bit of added super glue, they are fine now. Handy those plastic ties for a lot of things. Its a bit Jerry, apologies to Jerry but, I now have a perfect rod rest for my light sea fishing with one rod so, quite happy with the result for £4. Having a medical condition, southernitus; I just need to wait for tropical conditions to return to try it out:) The really nice thing is it is light and packs down small and can go in my bag instead of the big heavy jobs I have.

Some interesting and helpful replies all round, thank you.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I too like the clamp idea so I bought a clamp from Amazon( there are cheaper but I wanted to make my order£20 for quite a few add on items).

Pic to follow ! There are a few venues where this may be better than a bank stand!

I used cable ties and I can move the bank stick up or down!

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I was looking at some small G clamps in Homebase yesterday, will just have to check the pegs at the fishery to see if they will fit. Only £4.60. Each.

mikench

Reaction score
Keith I paid a similar amount at Amazon! It's light and can be easily redeployed for other tasks!:)

Keith M

Reaction score
I have one of those very light ‘adjustable gape’ clamps (up to around 9 or 10 ins max) which would be perfect for the above, and they are cheap too.

Thanks for the idea. :thumbs:

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I too like the clamp idea so I bought a clamp from Amazon( there are cheaper but I wanted to make my order£20 for quite a few add on items).

Pic to follow ! There are a few venues where this may be better than a bank stand!

I used cable ties and I can move the bank stick up or down!

Mike, would the clamp not be better the other way up, having the screw down part at the top instead of having to reach under the staging when using it to tighten it up. ?

nottskev

Reaction score
I used to paint a float, then hop around trying to find a way to stand it upright. Til I discovered potatoes.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always have a block of floral dry foam on the workbench, handy for sticking all manner of things in.