Auction or Ebay?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I sold two lots of fishing gear last week, nothing serious, a tray of bits including two old reels one a Allcock Bakelite, the lot went for £25, probably cost me about £15. A box of flies that cost me £20 went for £28, so a small profit less the commission however, did better on some old unwanted film posters that needed clearing out I put in at the same time, they went for£95.
The auction place I use always tell me fishing stuff doesn't do well there, better if you can put stuff in a specialized angling auction but not one near me, one or two in London but not worth the travel unless it was something really valuable. So I just put it in regardless, its more a clear out of stuff I will never use and if it sells, a few more quid for me.
Its easier than eBay, just hand your stuff over and that's it, leave it to them and wait for the cheque if it sells, in this case £143 less commission, that will do, quite happy..

No palaver of loading photo's, filling in over complicated boxes and descriptions, wrapping stuff up and posting it, postage costs, waiting for buyers, endlessly relisting stuff, worrying about breakages in the post etc etc. Its a no-brainer to me. Check the small print of the auction though, some clauses are worth knowing about. leaving stuff that doesn't sell for example, might charge you for it.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
That sounds right up my street. Whether it does well or not I have a shedload ( literally) of gear I never use now that I need to get rid of. Some I'll probably donate to one of these places that does coaching for kids etc.....but some of it I think has a resale value but I just cannot be having with the hassle of posting rods.I have done this but before the PO started getting all precious about long tubes.

I fully expect to find some rods that I simply had to have but which have subsequently never been used. I can think of at least 3 like that that which seem to have simply vanished. They must be in the shed somewhere but as to their precise ( or even approximate) location....not a scooby.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That sounds right up my street. Whether it does well or not I have a shedload ( literally) of gear I never use now that I need to get rid of. Some I'll probably donate to one of these places that does coaching for kids etc.....but some of it I think has a resale value but I just cannot be having with the hassle of posting rods.I have done this but before the PO started getting all precious about long tubes.

I fully expect to find some rods that I simply had to have but which have subsequently never been used. I can think of at least 3 like that that which seem to have simply vanished. They must be in the shed somewhere but as to their precise ( or even approximate) location....not a scooby.

If you go down this route its worth putting 2 or 3 more lots in at once; at least one lot has a chance of selling and you wouldn't have completely wasted your time if its just one lot and it does not sell.
you can put a reserve on your lots but I don't get too ambitious with that if its just stuff I want to get rid of.
The commission was 17.5% plus vat but its not worth worrying about in my opinion.
Some auction houses will hold lots over until the next auction free of charge if it does not sell or if stuff is not collected within 3 days they start charging you for it. Check the small print as auction houses vary re this and other clauses.7

Also generally it is worth taking their advice I think, they may want to divide your lots up differently than the way you intend or describe them differently. I just think they know their market and it is in their interest to give your stuff the best chance.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Skippy, if you can wait until autumn there's a fishing tackle auction at Denham run by Gerrards+ AC.
The sale is usually 1st week in October...

TrickyD

Reaction score
The auction place I use always
What auction house is this ? I buy loads of stuff from auctions, but never sold through one as I have always used ebay to sell, usually wait till they do a £1 capped selling fee promotion, but as you say, posting stuff can be a pain so may try your way.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve just sold a few items on eBay while they had the £1 capped fee, how often does this happen?