FAO - Forum owners - Forum Adverts

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Hi,

Not certain this is the best place for this so please move it if necessary.

I've used this forum for quite a few years - I don't fish too much but love catching up on what other people are doing & certainly and get & use a lot of advice gained here to my benefit - people here are pretty helpful, and the reports are generally excellent.

On the HDYGO thread - probably my favourite - I've just had an ad between the post & the bar where the like button is - probably happened before but now I can see why I've missed liking some stuff - it's just to difficult.

I work in IT - I know why this is all done, but please can we have (it may already exist) a subscription or payment option as on most forums to remove the ads. I'd happily pay a reasonable sum but, without this, you are making this place very difficult to use and appreciate.

Hopefully there is an option that I've missed - please put a link up if so.

Many thanks!

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I use an Adblocker and see absolutely no adverts on this forum or any others that I use, they're simple to install too

The bad one

Reaction score
Ditto nowt here either!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, IF THIS SITE GOES PAY PER VIEW for anything, they can ram it right up their arses. I along with, I suspect many, others will be offski. And MR Bailey I've been here since 1996 and one of the longest if not the longest member still on this site!
Get an ad blocker then you wont have a problem will you.
I'd have thought as somebody who "works in IT" you'd have known that???????

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
So do I on most of my devices.

That’s not really what the question was about. There’s a lot on here who don’t have the background or will todo that. And soon you will need to pay for a decent ad blocker.

Would rather there was a forum option.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Ditto nowt here either!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, IF THIS SITE GOES PAY PER VIEW for anything, they can ram it right up their arses. I along with, I suspect many, others will be offski. And MR Bailey I've been here since 1996 and one of the longest if not the longest member still on this site!
Get an ad blocker then you wont have a problem will you.
I'd have thought as somebody who "works in IT" you'd have known that???????

Nice one. Thank you for the constructive comments.

Keith M

Reaction score
I use both an Apple IPad (with Safari internet SW) and a MS Laptop to access this forum; and I’ve clicked on the small arrow head in the ‘welcome to FM’ box to stop displaying any ads down the right side of the screen; so all I get is the one single non obtrusive ad that is displayed between the main site header and the start of the threads, which doesn’t cause me any problems at all; so Im struggling to see why I would need to pay to remove this one single non obtrusive ad across the top?

Are you using a phone that uses different internet access display software or displays a much smaller area of the screen and making the single ad a lot more prominent? And If so what Internet display software are you using?

Keith

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
You still get the inter-post adverts (without the scroll) and the pinned advert at the bottom. (IE, Safari, Chrome)

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m not getting any inter-post adverts at all, or any pinned adverts along the bottom; and I’m not using any Ad blockers either.

Im only getting the one single ad at the top, immediately above the two small ‘Thanks/Likes’ & ‘Welcome to FM’ dialogue boxes.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't mind the ads on the top or the side of the page. they have been there for a long time and easy enough to ignore and very occasionally I spot something I might be interested in.
I started getting the big ad right in the middle of the thread about 3 months ago (usually travel)and found it irritating then it stopped for a while. It started coming back again about 2 weeks ago just now and then. I can live with it, I just scroll down past it but its still irritating and best if someone got it stopped.
I dont know what an ad blocker is and I have enough **** on my computer as it is that I don't understand so I will just carry on. I doubt I would pay per view to use this forum, I would probably just switch to using a free one.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I’m not getting any inter-post adverts at all, or any pinned adverts along the bottom; and I’m not using any Ad blockers either.

Im only getting the one single ad at the top, immediately above the two small ‘Thanks/Likes’ & ‘Welcome to FM’ dialogue boxes.

Keith

Likewise Keith! I haven't bothered with an ad blocker for those reasons! The one location of ads as above does not concern me at all! There are so many sites, particularly newspaper sites, which are unuseable because of ads and as a result I don't use them!

I no longer watch ITV particularly live because of intrusive ads! Am I becoming more curmudgeonly and unique by not buying products whose ads I find annoying, over the top and intrusive!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you read Hugh's original post, he suggests having an 'optional' feature whereby members can pay a fee to use the forum ad-free.
I would support this idea.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
That was the idea. Some football forums I use do it for a fee (£2.00 or so ) per annum.

Keith M

Reaction score
If you read Hugh's original post, he suggests having an 'optional' feature whereby members can pay a fee to use the forum ad-free.
I would support this idea.

Peter, the only thing I see wrong with that is that: site members who don’t want (or maybe can’t afford) to pay for an ad free forum will most probably just end up with even more ads on their screen than the single one they have now (that’s if they did decide to stay).

If having only one single ad on our screen (like we have now) is hardly any bother at all; then why would we need to bother with having a fee to remove this single ad in the first place?

Especially if having a fee may mean having fewer forum members in the end.

Keith

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score
I've counted AT LEAST 7 adverts on my tablet including the annoying pop up at the bottom. As I've said on another forum there are ads, but not as bad as this. We point this out yet nothing gets done, only more adverts. I wouldn't be suprised if there ads allover the page.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've counted AT LEAST 7 adverts on my tablet including the annoying pop up at the bottom. As I've said on another forum there are ads, but not as bad as this. We point this out yet nothing gets done, only more adverts. I wouldn't be suprised if there ads allover the page.

I think that your problem could lie with your tablets web interface software as most of us are only seeing just one advert on our screens.
Which tablet are you using? and what web interface software does it use?. Or maybe it might just need a small mod to the forum code so that it will cope with your tablets web interface software?

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Same as Keith and Mike,just one at the top,no problem...

I can't understand,surely anyone could see that Keith understood Hugh's suggestion,I'm using a poxy Amazon fire tablet and it has only one advert,I have a feeling that angling forums are going to be extinct soon,as the people who post most will get pi##ed off with it,it has happened in stages already,with quality posters leaving,many threads are poor because of the lack of input,just by losing two or three fellas,leading to less visits by the rest of us,I don't personally read every thread,just looking for ones of interest,losing opposing opinions as well as agreeing ones who obviously know what they are doing makes for interest...imo.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Same as Keith and Mike,just one at the top,no problem...

I can't understand,surely anyone could see that Keith understood Hugh's suggestion,I'm using a poxy Amazon fire tablet and it has only one advert, I have a feeling that angling forums are going to be extinct soon,as the people who post most will get pi##ed off with it,it has happened in stages already,with quality posters leaving,many threads are poor because of the lack of input,just by losing two or three fellas,leading to less visits by the rest of us, I don't personally read every thread,just looking for ones of interest,losing opposing opinions as well as agreeing ones who obviously know what they are doing makes for interest...imo.

One of my clubs (Verulum AC) are going to lose their club forum soon because the guy who currently looks after the forum is giving it up, and we are just going to be left with a Facebook page.

Facebook is just a fairly simple ‘message board’ without all of the frills and advantages that a decent forum gives you; like being able to view different threads all sorted into different subject headings, and being able to present the user with different views like ‘latest threads’, ‘unread threads’ and lots of other searches etc. etc. etc.

I myself can not see a time when forums will be extinct unless things like Facebook change dramatically.

Unfortunately software writers don’t always follow proper coding conventions and take various short cuts leaving out code which covers all eventualities like different web interfaces and machines that have come onto the market. And if everyone followed standard coding conventions then it would be a lot simpler than it is now.

Although even standard coding conventions can be subject to periodic changes so even the best web software could still need updating periodically to make sure its caught up with the latest standards.

Keith

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score
I think that your problem could lie with your tablets web interface software as most of us are only seeing just one advert on our screens.
Which tablet are you using? and what web interface software does it use?. Or maybe it might just need a small mod to the forum code so that it will cope with your tablets web interface software?

Keith
I don't mind ads as long as they aren't all over the page and interfere when I'm scrolling or about to write something. Then it becomes too much .