Gift voucher

mikench

Reaction score
So you are given a AD gift voucher for £250! What would you buy?

I doubt I will spend it on minor stuff like bait, feeders hooks and the like but on a big item!

I'm thinking of an Acolyte Plus in 13 or 14 ' or a Daiwa Tournament in the current sale or a Browning Sphere when the best offer comes along! I am happy to add to the cost if necessary!

I don't really need a reel so what would you buy in my position!

nottskev

Reaction score
Nice gift, Mike! Get yourself something that will add to your repertoire (rather than duplicate what you have): a margin pole and cupping kit, for when your farmer friend fills that lake with tench and barbel.
I know you'll say poles are cumbersome etc - but can most of the rest of us be so wrong? :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Same as what Kev says, don’t forget there is an AD at Hindley, there is a good selection of poles on display including margin poles. I will come with you if you are not sure on which to buy.

seth49

Reaction score
I’d agree with that too, a margin pole is a very handy piece of kit, wish I’d bought one years ago.

mikench

Reaction score
You are all very naughty trying to tempt me to the dark side!! I just do not see myself with a pole!

It looks too much like hard work!

nottskev

Reaction score
You said it, Mike: it LOOKS like hard work. But it isn't, and often makes fishing beautifully easy. We're not talking 14m or 16m..... that's hard work. A decent pole at 7, 8, 9m is a piece of cake, and it only feels awkward to people who haven't spent a couple of hours getting used to it.

Besides... it will open up a whole new world of tackle acquisition :wh

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Your new acquisitions could start off as a couple of pole rigs,that soon multiply into a 100 , plus spare floats ready to go on winders, This is just my personal experience. Using a pole is only as hard or difficult as you make it,whether it is 6 metres or 16 metres. Some people struggle with feeder fishing,trying to drop a feeder against an island,others can do it every cast, Its the same any form of fishing. It is what you make of it. Now go and buy a margin pole !!!!

Philip

Reaction score
I'd get a Barrow, Bivvy & Buzzers and start doing some proper fishing :wh:)

...that aside £250 I imagine would prob also get you a very good colletable pin as well if your so inclined & AD do em...

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Ooh decisions decisions!! I have carp rods( anagram of ****) which I do not use and remain unpersuaded by poles! Winders, pulla bungs, top kits and all the rest of the paraphernalia which I do not understand and which just sound too compliciated! I have sometimes watched anglers setting up and was glad I just used a simple rod and reel!

I have two pins, a Hardy and a Sheffield which I am happy with! I doubt I would use another save for fishing for piranhas in the Wigan area!:rolleyes:

I am in no rush and remain open to suggestions!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I'd get a Barrow, Bivvy & Buzzers and start doing some proper fishing :wh:)

...that aside £250 I imagine would prob also get you a very good colletable pin as well if your so inclined & AD do em...

I have a barrow in truth and a bivvy and buzzers! I shall ponder further!

Philip

Reaction score
You need even more bivvys and buzzers. In which case you will also need a second barrow to transport all the bivvies and buzzers in.

Failing that how about Hexagraph rod.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I lived in Cheshire then I would get myself a good rod or two for fishing the river Dane in Cheshire and go after some of the big Chub and the Barbel that are said to reside there.

River Dane, Middlewich, CheshireMiddlewich Joint Anglers own the fishing rights to the river upstream and downstream of the Byley Bridge, a stretch boasts a massive head of chub which can be caught on an array of tactics. There is a good depth here making it ideal for running a stickfloat, building the swim by feeding maggots little and often for bags of fish to around 4lb. A roving approach fishing with traditional baits will also score.
Prices: £5 per day in advance, membership £40 per year.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Keith I have several good rods perfect for the Dane and several stretches to go at! My trouble is the irrepressible urge to stick with the tried and trusted stillwaters I know and love! I will try harder!:)

It's a nice problem to have ie two hundred and fifty quid to spend and it must be on fishing tackle!

Will Kev and Markcw prevail and lure me to the dark side? I doubt it!:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
Keith I have several good rods perfect for the Dane and several stretches to go at! My trouble is the irrepressible urge to stick with the tried and trusted stillwaters I know and love! I will try harder!:)

It's a nice problem to have ie two hundred and fifty quid to spend and it must be on fishing tackle!

Will Kev and Markcw prevail and lure me to the dark side? I doubt it!:rolleyes:

To the dark side? Or out of the comfort zone? It's just another method, not a conversion!

A bit of pole fishing, and you'd definitely be adding to your take on how your rig works, how to be exact with depth, how you can induce bites, how the way your bait falls matters, how getting your hookbait right in your feed makes a difference............ Dismiss it at your peril :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Then I would probably buy myself a Drennan Acolyte Plus Float rod (14ft or 15ft) and a spare spool for my Okuma Sheffield centrepin (that you said you had). And stay away from the dark side :)

Keith

Another Dave

Reaction score
Definitely get one of the nice rods people mentioned. Then send it to me.:cool:

john step

Reaction score
LOOK MIKE>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You are obviously having a dilemma about it. I can help you to get over the stress. Just send it to me and your troubles will be over.:wh