can some one advise re line

robwigan

Reaction score
I have always float fished on a pole purely lesure for whatever swam past an took the bait

I recently bought a shimano alvaro light lure rod 3-15g cast weight with a diawa crossfire reel.

the bloke in the shop said for small pikes and perch I still should have 30lb braid so I don't lose any lures, which I thought made sense at the time upon watching and reading more stuff no one has more than 15lb brain when light lure fishing.

do I need to change the line and spend another 20.00 quid or can I use the line I have ? I wont be fishing for anything bit at all as my rod would just snap.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have always float fished on a pole purely lesure for whatever swam past an took the bait

I recently bought a shimano alvaro light lure rod 3-15g cast weight with a diawa crossfire reel.

the bloke in the shop said for small pikes and perch I still should have 30lb braid so I don't lose any lures, which I thought made sense at the time upon watching and reading more stuff no one has more than 15lb brain when light lure fishing.

do I need to change the line and spend another 20.00 quid or can I use the line I have ? I wont be fishing for anything bit at all as my rod would just snap.

What shop was it?

I's say your fine with the braid you have, try it out and see how it feels

Another Dave

Reaction score
Also you can get new braid for a lot less than £20 if you buy the cheapo brands like i do.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
no one has more than 15lb brain when light lure fishing.
I can see it's a typing error, but an element of truth with some of the new light lure anglers. Brains normally weigh around 25+lbs, or so I was once told.

Anyway, pardon my silly thoughts. It depends on where you're fishing, but if it's mostly clear water with no snags then lighter lines will be fine. I have 18lbs on one light rod and just 12lbs on another.

On my casting rods I used to use 12lbs mono and lost loads of lures with the knot breaking off. I switched to heavy braids and I think I've lost one lure in ten years and that's because it dug into a wooden beam and I couldn't get to it. When I went back 2 days later, after the river had dropped, and could reach the area the lure had gone, probably loosened itself and sunk to the bottom 8ft below. I normally use 35lbs - 65lbs depending on the casting weight of the rod.

You'll be fine with 30lbs for now, but try a new 8xfilament braided line in future. PowerPro recommended, but the new Fox ones look good.

Edit - here's the Fox one I use... https://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/fox-rage-pro-x8-performance-braid-orange

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
For lure fishing I prefer monofilament, normally the takes are quite savage in the river, so I have not problem feeling them.

I only lure fish in the river nowadays and in the summer, so my advice is probably not a good as some of the other replies.

robwigan

Reaction score
also should I put a light trace on it directly from my mainline or put on fluro then a trace.

my mind is boggled

stillwater blue

Reaction score
You've had good advice. Most braids in Europe have their BS calculated dry without a knot tied in it. In a fishing situation where there's a knot and the braid is wet you can expect a drop in BS of up to 30%, so in practise that 30lb BS braid you've bought is more like 20lb BS.

Thicker braid will not put fish off but it will effect diving depth of hard baits and slow the fall of a soft bait on a jig head, which might be a good thing or not.

I would tie the wire straight to the end of the braid.