Organising tackle

Keith M

Reaction score
As I said recently in another similar thread: As well as having lots of different tacklebags plus a Match seat box, (one for each type of fishing I am going to be doing), I also have a few different Rod Quivers each containing rods & reels (in their rod sleeves or tubes) and rod rests and different landing nets in them. As I’ve said before the only things I need to remember to pack when I go is my bait, my camera and my food & drink.

I may need to duplicate a lot of items but It is a lot less bother and I can go at a moments notice knowing that I only have what I actually need already packed into the relevant shoulder bag or rucksack. Plus I no longer have to carry everything but the kitchen sink in a single large bag like I used to when I was a lot younger.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
t​
2 ready rod holdalls with heavy feeder and float rod in one, light feeder and float in the other, hold-all for pole,3 seat boxes for different venues, pole floats ,feeders and floats in each with selection of hooks and weights and sundry items plus a couple of reels.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Got a little tackle box for my absolute essentials - licence, different disgorgers, mini forceps, tiny set of scales, folded up carrier bag, plus a few random floats, swivels, weights, hooks and lures. This comes with me on every session. In addition i'll put together other bits in a box or bag the night before, depending on what type of fishing i'm doing. If i end up forgetting something from the second box/bag then the chances are i have something for the job in the 'essentials box'.

Most quick sessions just involve throwing the essentials box in a bag, and grabbing a tackled up rod and bait/lures, plus a net if i'm feeling lucky.

andymac1981

Reaction score
I have found this a challenge since I started fishing. An approach I am taking and currently building is a MOLLE style bag system. I have 2 of these a sling style one for short or roving sessions and a bigger rucksack style bag when I need to carry more gear. I have several attachments for them and they can all be switched around as needed. I have a pouch with all my tools in it, dislodgers, forceps, pliers etc. and this can be attached to whatever bag I am taking. Another pouch has wet weather gear again easy to attach and detach. I even have an insulated one for my lunch;)

You can customise it to suit your needs and its quite versitale. My landing net and roll up mat can be attached to either bag in seconds. Might be something to have a look into as the attachments for the bags are universal and quite versatile.

john step

Reaction score
I have in the last couple of days just rationalised my tackle. I had just got to the venue, rods out seat settled landing net up and bu££er me I forgot the tackle box with hooks weights and all the other clobber in it.

I left the gear (safe private venue) dashed back home to collect it and resolved to never forget anything again.

The problem is the belief in a different set of tackle for different venues and methods etc.
So for the time being until I get a hernia carrying everything....thats what I shall be doing.:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
I found the attempt to have different gear for different set ups too complicated and , as I lapse into maturity, I stick to my routine of having everything in the car just in case! I do vary the rods to be taken dependent on venue and method but also take several just in case!

flightliner

Reaction score
In the last fortnight I've used three sets of gear--
Pike/zander
Chub
Perch
Each requiring a differant bag, tackle, rods etc.
I check and double check that I have all I need before setting off
and each time I've left something behind.
Landing net (a friend in a village saved my day with a phone call to lend me his.
Two pair of warm socks when chubbing that I thought were in the car boot.
A bottle of worm flavour (who ate a worm to verify the product tasted like one? ).
I just can't see any hope for me with a garage that's stuffed with other folk's belongings.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I went "modular" some years ago with a separate bag for each of my main target species plus a "river" and "lake" tackle box that reside in my seatbox for the odd occasion that goes with me and not a chair. Ive had to duplicate a few things but its worth it simply not to have to swap things around..

My problem is storing it all. I dont have a garage,both sheds are basically full so my "working" tackle sits jammed into a corner of the utility room next to the freezer. Mrs S doesnt like it but as I keep telling her "This is what I do".

I am a shocking tackle tart/magpie and am in the process of yet another " upgrade/refresh" of my gear and what it lives in. So far that's 2 more rods, a new carryall and holdall plus assorted gizmo bags...oh and a new set of alarms and bobbins. I love it !

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've tried organizing a roving/short session kit but it hasn't been entirely successful so I'll describe what I did and the downsides as I see it in case anyone else is thinking along the same lines. I bought a FishingMad ruckbox SEAT BOX AND OR SEATBOX RUCKSACK BACK PACK | Tackle & Seat Boxes | Fishing Mad. As a box it's OK, enough room for everything I need and seems sturdy enough, I've done a few sessions with it. There was an issue with the catch hinge pin sliding out but that's been resolved with a bit of superglue. The seat padding is woeful to say the least. A right royal PITA you could say. Cut up a garden kneeling pad and put it between the original padding and the seat top which improved matters but still not enough. Bought another kneeling pad and stuck it on top of the original padding (not enough room underneath) and that seems to be enough.

The big downside however is not being able to get at things easily. If I want to change a float or put a new hook length on I have to get off the box, undo the straps that hold the padding on, undo the catches etc., and the small tackle compartments have two catches which is a bit of a nuisance. Also the lids on the small tackle compartments won't close easily if there's anything near the edges, which there usually is.

On the good side it's comfortable enough on your back, ample side pockets for me and the stitching all seems sound. I just don't think it's right for me, I like being comfortable when I'm fishing, I probably wouldn't like a full blown seat box even if I didn't have to carry it.

Edit: Just bought the NGT version of the same box to see if I can modify it to accomodate some side drawers. The lids on the small tackle compartments of the NGT one only have one catch. It might sound like nothing but it's actually much more convenient as you've always got something in one hand or the other when closing the lids and it's much easier with only one catch.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Gordon, you could buy my Boss box, 6 front drawers, a full length half side drawer, deep base unit, footplate and wheel kit so no need for a trolley or to carry it, open footplate out, put bags on footplate attach wheels and handle and away you go, and it has a very comfy deep padded seat.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very often I just take a pack of hooks, disgorger, shot, scisors and a few floats . This all fits easily into my trouser pockets and even easier in my trouser and waistcoat pockets. I just carry a landing net and tub of maggots in one had and my rod in the other.
If I think I need a few more bits I use an orvis sling, imo better than any waistcoat, shoulder bag or rucksack by a country mile!

wetthrough

Reaction score
Gordon, you could buy my Boss box, 6 front drawers, a full length half side drawer, deep base unit, footplate and wheel kit so no need for a trolley or to carry it, open footplate out, put bags on footplate attach wheels and handle and away you go, and it has a very comfy deep padded seat.

Sounds heavy. Do you have a photo?

wetthrough

Reaction score
I will try and send you a few via WhatsApp over the weekend. I cant post pics on here, hence the reason Mike does it . Or I could send to Mike and he could post on here.

Thinking about it one of the reasons for going about it the way I did was to avoid any form of trolley. I've fished a few places where a wheeled solution made it difficult to get around. Thanks for the offer but I'll have to give the solution a bit more thought. I might have to make something or see if I can adapt what I've got.

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon have a look at the Octbox compact! As an engineer you will appreciate how well engineered it is! If I was ever to buy a box it would be that one! You can carry it over your shoulder with your bait secured within! Additional boxes can be added! It's also light!

YouTube

The guy in the vid is called Rick Tyler( I think) and he weighed it for me and the site now shows weights despite his commentary to the contrary!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It can take a thousand kilogrames.....lol, no chance! Imagine putting over 2000lbs onto that! I used to leg press 2000lbs so I know how heavy that is and those legs wouldn't hold that weight.
That was an alkward lump to carry up a river bank, let alone climb over styes and barbed wire fences etc.
It was cheap though :dizzy: :faint2: