Organising tackle

acbruce

Reaction score
You’d think that after nine years of fishing I’d have sorted out how to organise my fishing bags, tackle etc. to cover all the types - rivers, stillwater, short sessions, all day, lure, carping - that I undertake. I own several bags, rucksacks and tackle boxes but still haven’t found a way of putting together a cohesive system which is ‘ready-to-go’ for whichever approach I’m taking that day. Do others share this dilemma or is it just me?

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm a little OCD with my fishing equipment, everything has its place and everything in its place. However the problem arises when I look in the place and its not bloody there ........ *enter swearing here*....... Find it or improvise.

So I try not to be, by the way I've been fishing for much much longer than 9 years so don't feel bad lol

nottskev

Reaction score
I recognise that exact problem! I've ended up with a seatbox with trays etc for fishing "match style" for a bag of whatever fish; a lightweight canal stool with a bag and a small tackle selection for fishing little rivers or swims involving a bit of walk on bigger ones; a light chair and a different bag with different gear for barbel fishing, a small bag with bits and pieces for dropshotting...... It's made it quicker to get ready and get out, but there are still pitfalls. Remembered to switch glasses from one bag to another? License and club books? Are there still disgorgers, scissors, forceps etc in each, or have I lost track of anything? Keeping everything topped up seems like painting the Forth bridge.

There may be people who can just walk pick up a couple of bits of luggage and stride off in full confidence, but I don't think I'll ever be one of them.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m ocd but also have a shocking memory so things can tend to get forgot. For this reason I’ve taken measures to ensure I’m properly equipped wherever and however I fish. I’ve now added sea fishing to my interests and that gear is kept in a separate bag containing lures, feathers, reels and terminal tackle.

Both river and Stillwater fishing are split between an all day one spot set up and a roving shorter session set up, different bags for the two disciplines. A ultralight chair for roving, a sturdier chair for a longer session.

My biggest problem was forgetting the vital tools which may have been left in a different bag from the previous trip so at a modest cost I have two or three of everything, scissors, forceps, baiting needles, even cheap scales.

Sometimes three items because I like to have certain tools to hand on the workbench when tying rigs etc in the man cave.

Still manage to forget something nearly every trip though, the most worrying recently, a fishing rod.:eek:mg:

PS Kev was writing his post at the same time as me and appears to share similar dilemmas. I now keep all my licences in the glove compartment of the car, the car is the one constant on every trip (until I start using the bus)! Spare sunglasses kept in car, I also have photographed all my licences so they are there on my phone if asked to produce, one day I will!

Last edited:

ben10

Reaction score
I've been fishing around 15 years and I still have no idea how to organise my tackle.... The most organised Ive ever been was probably 15 years ago as a 13 year old.... 1 very traditional Mr crab tree type tackle box with a small selection of everything I needed. As I've got older and moved more seriously into 'target species' I've never really managed to organise correctly... I'm an electrical engineer and my tools are exactly the same! Constantly swapping from one box to the next.

I have now changed (hopefully finally) to one seat box and storage container (Shakespeare seat box) with a trolley for 80% of my fishing.... This contains - wagglers, leads, sticks and feeders and will cover majority of stillwater and flowing water fishing.

On top of this, which I'm currently in the process of adding to and refining, is small tackle box for wandering with a stick float, 1 small tackle box for barbel and chub roving along little rivers and 1 small tackle box for bottom fishing for carp and tench. Within these boxes is going to be 2 or 3 hooklink materials, hooks specific to the size of the quarry, rig bits (I. E. Swivels and lead clips or float rubbers and shot) and then general scissors and unhooking equipment.

Fingers crossed they'll be finished this season and I will finally be sorted..... Yeah right lol...

mikench

Reaction score
I share the dilemma of the OP and reiterate other comments! I just keep a car full with a good choice of rods which I will add to the night before if I know where I'm going! I then just add bait, a butty and a flask! I do have a gas stove in the car just in case! I do have separate gear for the river ie lightweight chair, rucksack, waders, vest, maggot apron and lifejacket!!!!

I'm hopeless and know it!:rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years I have put together several "kits" for the different types of fishing tht I undertke.

This does mean that you have to duplicate many little items to avoid having to constantly switch things around from bag, to box to Carp kit etc., but then the little items are relatvely very cheap anyay.

I am totally OCD when it comes to my tackle and spend a lot of time cleaning and making sure everything is there, in its place.

I also keep lists, on spreadsheets, that I check as I load the car to make sure that nothing is left behind . . . . or as the old motto goes:

Careful forethought saves anxious afterthought

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Spreadsheets? Now that is impressive ocd! Are you Martin from ever decreasing circles?

john step

Reaction score
Best of luck with getting organised. I have been at it for 62 yrs. Still forget things. In fact its getting worse. Oh well. Hey HO!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Spreadsheets? Now that is impressive ocd! Are you Martin from ever decreasing circles?

No idea who that is I'm afraid . . . .

The spreadsheet lists came about when I was doing a lot of nights in the bivvy when it was too easy to forget to pack something . . . twice I had to go and buy a new stove, believe it or not.

It sort of blossomed from there to be honest, but the only method I don't have a list for is my fly fishing as all that kit is kept in the house in a cupboard together, so its a simple job to just empty the cupboard lol

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
One of the best things I have is a fly fishing waistcoat, it holds scissors, forceps, disgorgers,camera, scales, plummets,adaptor for camera to banksticks, and my club permits go in a plastic bag in an inside pocket.
Also has a leatherman multi tool in one of the pockets, and rod license is in my wallet, if I forget this I have to go back for it, it’s only happened once.

As others have said a separate bag for each style of fishing is very handy, I’ve now got one of the large Korum table top bags for carp and coarse, one of the aldi bags holds bite alarms, rod rests, and other carp tackle, another of the aldi bags holds my margin pole tackle.
I’ve a separate bag for spinning and dropshotting, I do tend to take too much tackle with me most days, but again it’s saved a blank as well, as it all fit on my Korum chair with the barrow kit, it’s not a problem getting to my swim on the still waters I usually fish nowadays.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mines fairly simple, three carrier bags, one sea, one fly and one coarse. Just pop whichever carrier bag for whatever type of fishing into my shopping trolley, strap a rod and chair to it and off I go. I do have a bit of a check first sometimes though.
Bit of a horror really but it works, from when I decide to go fishing and walking out the door is about 5mins.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'm generally well organised and have a small bag for trotting,a carryall for barbel and a seat box for general fishing,I rarely lose anything(apart from my marbles)as I'm methodical in packing away,but I'm certainly not OCD...

acbruce

Reaction score
Many thanks fore all the replies. OK one bag per section it is.

benny samways

Reaction score
Im finally starting to get a system organised that enables me to mess about with my different types of fishing and not worry about forgetting scales or something.

A good rucksack that takes what I need everytime I go, (small tackle box with baiting needles, scissors, shot etc. Scales). My food and changes of clothes etc can go in here too.

Then I have a selection of buckets which have trays inside them for every species I go for and the specifics related to that.

1 bucket for chubbing , 1 bucket for barbelling, 1 bucket for carping, (and soon to be purchased/organised: 1 for tench, and 1 for pike.)

The best buckets I have found are the Lemco 5 litre versions that come with a tray inside. I then put the bait in the bucket and any feeders, pva etc in the tray. These buckets also fit in my rucksack if I so wish! (Adventa Endurance 45litre). You can then either sit on the buckets or take a chair if you can handle the extra weight but I dont like chairs when roving as I start just sitting!

I am well chuffed with it all, I should take a picture!

daniel121

Reaction score
Been fishing nearly 60 years, my tackle is never clean, never tidy, BUT I still catch fish!

That's because you're are from a different era, I like you can I'm sure, remember a time when people rubbed muck on new kit in those days fish smile on you're clothes was a badge of honor.

My clothes are old worn out rags, the fish don't care I never ever wash water proofs they don't work if you do. However I don't you feel can fish effectively if you don't know where things are, well efficiently is a better word?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm so well organised that I take a notebook and pencil to make a note of anything I might have forgotten.
Half the time, I have to fill it in from memory when I get home, having forgotten it.
By which time, of course, it's a bit of a struggle.

shane99

Reaction score
Always trying to travel as light as I can, I go for the pick & mix approach. I Have everything on the bench & shelves in the man cave. All feeders & weights in a box, all hooks in an old reel bag, floats in a float box etc. The essentials - disgorger, scissors, plummets, float adaptors, split shot, hook links & ledgering terminal tackle etc etc are in a small tackle box that goes with me everywhere. I just add what I need along with what ever rod & reel depending on method & approach for that particular session. My scales stay in the ruck sack along with my rod rest heads & catapult (essentials) Granted I cant just walk out of the door but gone are the days when I took everything.

Philip

Reaction score
still haven’t found a way of putting together a cohesive system which is ‘ready-to-go’ for whichever approach I’m taking that day. Do others share this dilemma or is it just me?

I identify very much with your problem especially as my angling time is very limited to short sessions at short notice so I have to have everything ready at a moments notice.

The problem is made worse by the fact I am constantly swapping between venues, species and methods and also try to keep weight down to a minimum as well. It basically means I cant just pile everything into one mahoosive rucksack & lug it all round with me.

Instead what I try and do is have a central ”pot” of tackle that I will use across all the species that live permanently in the car and then add only what I need to that.

Essential items that I will use all the time such as forceps disgorger, range of hooks, small float tube, line clips, box of shot, permits, camera adapter & clam tackle box with all the tiny bits and pieces…swivels, beads, stops, silicon etc are carried in a fishing waistcoat that I slip on.

I then have a small rucksack for carrying ancillary items such as camera, scales, sling & sack. I’ll swap the scales depending on what I am after. In the car I have a a 12lb set of flyweights, 40lb set of Avons and 120lb set of whoppers. So for example I’ll take the flyweights if I am after Chub as they are the smallest and lightest, it just takes a few seconds to swap over to the required one in the rucksack.

Same applies for the landing net. I have 3 in the car …Big Kipper net, rubber medium net, small feather weight folding net, I’ll just grab the lightest one I can for the type of fishing I am doing.

Same also applies for any rod supporting items..I have single rests, pods, tripods buzz bars Alarms and so on all in the car. Again I’ll just use the minimum one suited to what I am doing.

A light JRC stealth seat, mat & umbrella also live permanently in the car as do items such as groundbait bowls, mini keepnets and some empty bait bowls and small buckets in case I need them.

Specific tackle is then held in induvial bags also in the car. For example a Carp bag, a Predator bag, a lure bag and a lead and swimfeeder bag & a large range of floats. Each bag has removable plastic boxes inside. I’ll just take the ones I need & put them in the rucksack with the scales, sling and sacks etc. Leads in particular, I’ll only take what needed in a small draw string bag as they add allot of weight.

This basically leaves rods and Bait. I always have a good selection of baits in the car in a large bucket. Things that wont go off…tins of sweetcorn, meat, pellets, shelf life bolies, dog biscuits for floaters, bags of bread bait sprays and some bags of groundbait. I take only what I need into the rucksack. Fresh bait I have no option but to add at the last moment.

Fishing clobber is always a bit of a pain as it takes space. Again in the car, I keep shoes, boots and waders plus some wet & warm gear. Needless to say I only put on what I need.

Finally rods. I have a selection permanently made up in the garage. Its just a case of selecting the ones I’ll want and put those into the car. Obviously it helps to have allot of rods & reels but as anyone who has fished for a number of years will know, collecting rods and reels is never really an issue ;)

Doing things in this way I can literally decide as I am typing this that I will go carp fishing with 4 rods tomorrow or Chub roving with 1 rod or trotting for Roach with a pin and I can be ready to go in literally <10mins without having to take everything including the kitchen sink with me.

The thing is you never reach an end state with tackle organization, not in my experience anyway. I am always looking for ways to further streamline it, trying to find that magic formula. I doubt I will never quite achieve it but it won’t stop me trying.:)

Last edited: