Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Organising tackle

You’d think that after nine years of fishing I’d have sorted out how to organise my fishing bags, tackle etc. to cover all the types - rivers, stillwater, short sessions, all day, lure, carping - that I undertake. I own several bags, rucksacks and tackle boxes but still haven’t found a way of putting together a cohesive system which is ‘ready-to-go’ for whichever approach I’m taking that day. Do others share this dilemma or is it just me?

Default Re: Organising tackle

I'm a little OCD with my fishing equipment, everything has its place and everything in its place. However the problem arises when I look in the place and its not bloody there ........ *enter swearing here*....... Find it or improvise.

So I try not to be, by the way I've been fishing for much much longer than 9 years so don't feel bad lol
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

I recognise that exact problem! I've ended up with a seatbox with trays etc for fishing "match style" for a bag of whatever fish; a lightweight canal stool with a bag and a small tackle selection for fishing little rivers or swims involving a bit of walk on bigger ones; a light chair and a different bag with different gear for barbel fishing, a small bag with bits and pieces for dropshotting...... It's made it quicker to get ready and get out, but there are still pitfalls. Remembered to switch glasses from one bag to another? License and club books? Are there still disgorgers, scissors, forceps etc in each, or have I lost track of anything? Keeping everything topped up seems like painting the Forth bridge.

There may be people who can just walk pick up a couple of bits of luggage and stride off in full confidence, but I don't think I'll ever be one of them.

I’m ocd but also have a shocking memory so things can tend to get forgot. For this reason I’ve taken measures to ensure I’m properly equipped wherever and however I fish. I’ve now added sea fishing to my interests and that gear is kept in a separate bag containing lures, feathers, reels and terminal tackle.

Both river and Stillwater fishing are split between an all day one spot set up and a roving shorter session set up, different bags for the two disciplines. A ultralight chair for roving, a sturdier chair for a longer session.

My biggest problem was forgetting the vital tools which may have been left in a different bag from the previous trip so at a modest cost I have two or three of everything, scissors, forceps, baiting needles, even cheap scales.

Sometimes three items because I like to have certain tools to hand on the workbench when tying rigs etc in the man cave.

Still manage to forget something nearly every trip though, the most worrying recently, a fishing rod.

PS Kev was writing his post at the same time as me and appears to share similar dilemmas. I now keep all my licences in the glove compartment of the car, the car is the one constant on every trip (until I start using the bus)! Spare sunglasses kept in car, I also have photographed all my licences so they are there on my phone if asked to produce, one day I will!
    Last edited by s63; 30-01-2019 at 10:35.

I've been fishing around 15 years and I still have no idea how to organise my tackle.... The most organised Ive ever been was probably 15 years ago as a 13 year old.... 1 very traditional Mr crab tree type tackle box with a small selection of everything I needed. As I've got older and moved more seriously into 'target species' I've never really managed to organise correctly... I'm an electrical engineer and my tools are exactly the same! Constantly swapping from one box to the next.

I have now changed (hopefully finally) to one seat box and storage container (Shakespeare seat box) with a trolley for 80% of my fishing.... This contains - wagglers, leads, sticks and feeders and will cover majority of stillwater and flowing water fishing.

On top of this, which I'm currently in the process of adding to and refining, is small tackle box for wandering with a stick float, 1 small tackle box for barbel and chub roving along little rivers and 1 small tackle box for bottom fishing for carp and tench. Within these boxes is going to be 2 or 3 hooklink materials, hooks specific to the size of the quarry, rig bits (I. E. Swivels and lead clips or float rubbers and shot) and then general scissors and unhooking equipment.

Fingers crossed they'll be finished this season and I will finally be sorted..... Yeah right lol...

I share the dilemma of the OP and reiterate other comments! I just keep a car full with a good choice of rods which I will add to the night before if I know where I'm going! I then just add bait, a butty and a flask! I do have a gas stove in the car just in case! I do have separate gear for the river ie lightweight chair, rucksack, waders, vest, maggot apron and lifejacket!!!!

I'm hopeless and know it!

Blog Entries

Over the years I have put together several "kits" for the different types of fishing tht I undertke.

This does mean that you have to duplicate many little items to avoid having to constantly switch things around from bag, to box to Carp kit etc., but then the little items are relatvely very cheap anyay.

I am totally OCD when it comes to my tackle and spend a lot of time cleaning and making sure everything is there, in its place.

I also keep lists, on spreadsheets, that I check as I load the car to make sure that nothing is left behind . . . . or as the old motto goes:

Careful forethought saves anxious afterthought

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Spreadsheets? Now that is impressive ocd! Are you Martin from ever decreasing circles?

Best of luck with getting organised. I have been at it for 62 yrs. Still forget things. In fact its getting worse. Oh well. Hey HO!!

Been fishing nearly 60 years, my tackle is never clean, never tidy, BUT I still catch fish!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast