Lens colours

Specihunter

Reaction score
With all the different colour sunglass colours. Which is best for what level of light??

Reaction score
Amber is best for low light levels,my preference personally is for grey in sunlight,but how your vision is for you personally is key,go to a shop on a sunny day and compare for yourself,if it's for looking through a glared surface film it's more difficult to try...

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm with you Alan for amber and grey, I also carry a blue set for use in winter snow/frosty/foggy conditions.

David Gane

Reaction score
For me, colour isn’t really the issue. I don’t think you can beat Polaroids. They reduce glare and help “see through” the surface in a way that coloured lenses don’t do.

As a lifelong spectacle wearer one of the best innovations in spectacles in recent years has been the ability of opticians to polarise prescription lenses. I wouldn’t be without mine.

john step

Reaction score
Slightly off track......You see driving glasses for night time advertised. They sell them with amber lenses.
Years ago whilst on shift work and getting sore eyes, I bought a pair.

Everything looked amber just like the amber neon street lights. Everything a nice relaxing amber INCLUDING THE RED LIGHT AT CROSS ROADS THAT I DROVE THROUGH DESPITE KNOWING THE JUNCTION VERY WELL.
In the bin they went. I was lucky to get away with it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For me, colour isn’t really the issue. I don’t think you can beat Polaroids. They reduce glare and help “see through” the surface in a way that coloured lenses don’t do.

We're talking about polarised lenses Dave - just that different colours give different results in different light conditions.....

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve tried various different coloured Polaroid glasses over the years for spotting fish and have found that the Amber ones are the best overall colour for me, especially in slightly lower light levels.

Keith

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score

As a lifelong spectacle wearer one of the best innovations in spectacles in recent years has been the ability of opticians to polarise prescription lenses. I wouldn’t be without mine.

I did mean polarised glasses just with all the different colours you get now it's mind boggling.

John Keane

Reaction score
Grey are best for bright sun and for preserving natural colours. Amber are better for contrast and seeing into water but colours are less natural. Yellow are for very dull and twilight conditions. I am also a fly fisherman and have always used polaroids, as much for eye protection from mine and others’ wayward casting, as seeing into the water. There are also newer tints available like green and copper.

BTW even the best polaroids will struggle to see into the water in bright sunshine unless you use a cap with a brim to shade your eyes.

I have an old pair of Optix Cormorant HLT which have a very light tint and I use them for all my fly fishing, in conjunction with a cap.