Country file

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of modern farners don't give a toss about the countryside. They spray in windy conditions, spread slurry in wet conditons and at times of year when they shouldn't etc etc. They fill in ponds and cut down hedges to get every last bit of geound to grow crops on or graze animals, modern farming is all about money !

Before anyone comes back at me sticking up for farmers, I was born and brought up on a dairy farm and a number of my family still have large farms so I do know about farming.

mikench

Reaction score
Insects are on decline and these include butterflies and moths! Unfortunately others like locusts and cockroaches are on the increase! If we are not careful we will have none of the beneficial and nice insects and plagues of the worst. We are doomed I tell you!!:rolleyes:

silvers

Reaction score
A lot of modern farners don't give a toss about the countryside. They spray in windy conditions, spread slurry in wet conditons and at times of year when they shouldn't etc etc. They fill in ponds and cut down hedges to get every last bit of geound to grow crops on or graze animals, modern farming is all about money !

Before anyone comes back at me sticking up for farmers, I was born and brought up on a dairy farm and a number of my family still have large farms so I do know about farming.

Tigger, like every part of society there are some good and some bad. There are a lot of good, progressive farmers as well who are trying to balance good farming with ecosystem services. Perhaps Brexit will force some of the bad operators out of business?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, like every part of society there are some good and some bad. There are a lot of good, progressive farmers as well who are trying to balance good farming with ecosystem services. Perhaps Brexit will force some of the bad operators out of business?

I know a hell of a lot of farmers and if brexit did do as you say every one of em would fold!

Keith M

Reaction score
Years ago I would drive overnight to Cornwall and the front of the car would be smothered in dead flies. I'd sit fishing and see huge clouds of flies above the tree line. Crane flies (daddy long legs) used to be a real nuisance of a warm autumn evening but now you hardly see any.

When I was based at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall back in the early 70s I occasionally travelled to and from Hertfordshire (just outside of London) all the way down to Helston in Cornwall overnight on a Vesper Scooter that only maxed at about 35mph and It took me well over 12 hours, and the whole of my face used to be covered in squashed insects with two small round clear spots where my goggles had been.

Keith

silvers

Reaction score
I know a hell of a lot of farmers and if brexit did do as you say every one of em would fold!

I also know a hell of a lot of farmers, and fear that Brexit impacts will not be so selective!

Philip

Reaction score
Insects are on decline and these include butterflies

I thought I read not that long ago that 2018 was a record year for Butterflies...a cold winter followed by hot summer being ideal for them.

mikench

Reaction score
The repercussions of mans profligacy with the planet and the effect on wildlife is world wide and not just the UK! Whilst we are an island, we are not immune from the global problems and thus whatever we do has to be replicated world wide!

We are a nation of circa 66 million ! India and China total nearly 3 BILLION! That is akin to a gnat bite on an elephant!