Giving up?

bracket

Reaction score
Steve2. You have my sympathy but I am unable to offer any advice. I started fishing at 8 years old with my Grandfather. I am coming up while 78 now and will have fished continuously for 70 years. I have never had a break, never considered it. Fishing for me is something I do and have always done. I don't think to question why, it is inheirent in my nature. In my younger days I was an avid match angler, in fact it was the only fishing I did. Loved every minute of it. All the preparation before, the participation in the matches and the criac afterward, life blood to me. I no longer match fish as with the onset of age I can't compete at the level I was accustomed to and that is something I miss and regret. However that is just a technical withdrawal from a aspect of the sport not complete abstainance. So now I just pleasure fish but with a match fishing approach, because that is how I have always done it and know no other style, nor want to.The Gods willing I can continue until six of my best friends carry me up that long road to Boot Hill. Pete.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Steve2. You have my sympathy but I am unable to offer any advice. I started fishing at 8 years old with my Grandfather. I am coming up while 78 now and will have fished continuously for 70 years. I have never had a break, never considered it. Fishing for me is something I do and have always done. I don't think to question why, it is inheirent in my nature. In my younger days I was an avid match angler, in fact it was the only fishing I did. Loved every minute of it. All the preparation before, the participation in the matches and the criac afterward, life blood to me. I no longer match fish as with the onset of age I can't compete at the level I was accustomed to and that is something I miss and regret. However that is just a technical withdrawal from one aspect of the sport not complete abstainance. So now I just pleasure fish but with a match fishing approach, because that is how I have always done it and know no other style, nor want to.The Gods willing I can continue until six of my best friends carry me up that long road to Boot Hill. Pete.

bracket

Reaction score
Just for emphsis I repeated the post:wh

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have enjoyed several different hobbies

Judo , raising kids , serious drinking , swimming , weight training , saw a lot of live bands , in the early 2000s I joined a competitive video gaming clan , fishing when I was a kid , fishing as an adult, computer hobbyist , became an accomplished drawer , tried on and off for twenty years to play the blues harp ( failed ) , I certainly did not go through a period where I did a lot of MJ , listened to a lot of blues music read a lot of science fiction and now woodcarving.

Whatever you do , as TBO said , enjoy it and now you are retired just do whatever the ***** you want :)

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ve fished for 64 years and had a go at every conceivable field, coarse, fly, lure, sea, specimen, everything except CARP! Actually, I do fish for carp, I love catching carp but not from a green tent, with 3 rods, alarms, baths for fish and a net you could snare a rhino in.

This year I have been boat fishing for cod, got 2 salmon trips to the Spey planned, got beachcasting on Anglesey lined up, a boat on a private trout lake and a private club water full of carp and F1’s to go to once a week.

Don’t think I’ll ever get tired of fishing!

Reaction score
There are days when it doesn't feel right when I'm fishing,yesterday was one,nothing much happening and I'd rather have been at home,so I pack,doesn't make me any less keen for the next trip though.

terry m

Reaction score
There are days when it doesn't feel right when I'm fishing,yesterday was one,nothing much happening and I'd rather have been at home,so I pack,doesn't make me any less keen for the next trip though.

I can identity with this perfectly. Some days angling takes a second third or fourth place to other priorities. I would not class that as disinterest.

I personally always abstain during the traditional closed season. Completely my choice, but the lay off always leaves me super keen come June.

bracket

Reaction score
It must be a age thing (Repeating what you said a few minutes ago).

It must be a age thing (Repeating what you said a few minutes ago).

:):wh

Keith. You have hit the nails on the heads. You will notice I have pluralized that sentence to avoid repeating myself. Pete

steve2

Reaction score
Thanks for the posts. It's now a matter of going through the tackle shed and making a list out of all the stuff, rods, reels etc. that I will no longer need and keeping what I might use again.
What postal service do you use for rods you have sold?

davebhoy

Reaction score
I always use UPSTODAY.com for longer rods - they’re the cheapest and I’ve never had a problem with them

mikench

Reaction score
I recently ie last Friday, had a rod delivered to me by Parcelforce! The tracking number given to me at the time of posting did not compute according to their website ! I had to collect the rod from my local post office this morning and all was well! Yesterday , even after the attempted delivery last Friday when no one was home, the tracking number did not compute ! This morning however it miraculously did and the various stages were all listed!

Not impressive in my view as a buyer!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve found that a regular issue with Parcelforce Mike.

mikench

Reaction score
The sad aspect John was that I began to doubt the integrity of the seller who gave me the tracking number ! The whole tracking aspect was a fiasco and a complete and utter waste of time!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My personal thoughts on the subject.
cda6d217abfa1a7a0d2ab91e408ebf85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
Don’t know how it happened but some how I went fishing the other day. I say fishing more going through the motions packing up after an hour. Needless to say I didn’t catch anything.
Met up by accident with my long-term fishing friend of over 50 years on the bank and without telling him about my giving it up he is also going to call it day with fishing at least for a while.
So maybe we will start the exanglers club just meet up in a pub and talk fishing and the good old days of fishing.

john step

Reaction score
Don’t know how it happened but some how I went fishing the other day. I say fishing more going through the motions packing up after an hour. Needless to say I didn’t catch anything.
Met up by accident with my long-term fishing friend of over 50 years on the bank and without telling him about my giving it up he is also going to call it day with fishing at least for a while.
So maybe we will start the exanglers club just meet up in a pub and talk fishing and the good old days of fishing.

Best of luck to you Steve even if I am at a complete loss to understand.

seth49

Reaction score
View attachment 6426
Just realised it’s ten years to the day, since my good friend Andy Robbins died of a heart attack at the young age of forty six.
That’s him above with the thirty six pound pike he caught in the river ribble, just two months before he died.

That stopped me fishing for a couple of months or so, I then thought this isn’t what Andy would have wanted, he’d want me to carry on fishing As he loved the sport, and I have done my best to keep going since then.

RIP Andy mate, I’ll never forget you.