Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sturgeon

Default Re: Sturgeon

There’s a lake near me in Canterbury that has a stock of them, very easy to catch, they spend most of their day patrolling the margins hoovering up anything edible. I caught quite a few but one going just under 18lb was caught the first day I’d ever used a pole, it actually wasn’t that difficult, it just kept swimming around in circles flicking its tail out of the water. The most difficult part was getting it shoe horned into my landing net!

The sort of fish you are talking about would be used as live bait in my river Towy.
    Here we have true, wild monster sturgeon (Ok, slight exaggeration, we've had one). So far I have blanked, but there's always next season to land a fish over our record - did I mention - 388lbs

Monster page.

Blog Entries

The occasional big Sturgeon was hooked in the Thames, the Severn, the Trent and the Don in ages past too.

www.fishing.co.uk

All the larger English rivers such as the Severn, Thames, Trent and Don held sturgeon. It is understood that Doncaster museum has a record of 90 sturgeon from the area.

Keith

Last edited by Keith M; 20-02-2019 at 21:41.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    The occasional big Sturgeon was hooked in the Thames, the Severn, the Trent and the Don in ages past too.

www.fishing.co.uk

All the larger English rivers such as the Severn, Thames, Trent and Don held sturgeon. It is understood that Doncaster museum has a record of 90 sturgeon from the area.
    Wot a brilliant well ritten artikal. Ta.
    So many cormorants.... so few recipes.

Blog Entries

I think my other link to the sturgeon article was faulty.

This link should take you to it. (Hopefully)

www.fishing.co.uk

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I was under the impression that it was illegal to stock Sturgeon into any still water in this country and that should not be put back if caught.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    I was under the impression that it was illegal to stock Sturgeon into any still water in this country and that should not be put back if caught.
    Things have changed over the years. There was a time that the EA didn't object to non-indigenous species, including sturgeon, being stocked into stillwaters. Then policy changed and the stillwaters had to be well away from a watercourse to prevent accidental escapes.

I know of stillwaters that have stocked sturgeon legitimately. Though the odd one wouldn't get permission now as they are too close to a watercourse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12