Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sturgeon

Blog Entries

Default Sturgeon

Anyone whose read the Anglers mail this week will see a pik of a matchman holding a fifty pound plus sturgeon taken on a size sixteen hook.
    It took him three quarters of an hour to land.
    The venue is only a few minutes walk from my home.
    How it got there is a mystery to me but apparently it's not the only one in the place.
    Personally I think it would be happier in the river Trent than a commercial but there's no accounting for taste I suppose.
    Anyone else know of such a large fish in a not to large a commercial?

Default Re: Sturgeon

OI dont go on about the Trent. Its bad enough the venom that flies at the talk of the catfish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    OI dont go on about the Trent. Its bad enough the venom that flies at the talk of the catfish.
    John, the Trent has a history of sturgeon living in the river, one has been caught as far upstream as Thrumpton (maybe placed in the river by human hands) butthere was one at the turn of last century that naturally entered the river .
    It was seen at the old A1 rd bridge where it was shot by a farmer but swam off downriver.
    The next day it was found dead on a shingle beach near Carlton where a receding tide had left it hi and dry.
    IT was put on display where folk were charged a penny or two to veiw it but eventually it was pushed back into the river because of it decaying.

Most of the sturgeon/sterlets in uk stillwaters are not the (once?) native species. More than the odd example have turned up in uk rivers having escaped, or deliberately released. I've certainly heard of a few turning up in the Trent and the Thames in the last ten years or so.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

one of our club waters has a 22lb sturgeon in it, how it got there is a mystery , probably from someones pond years ago. same as an albino catfish in another.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

When I first saw this post, I thought it was about the Wee Krankie, scotlands wanna be queen

How about this one from the Soar last summer?
    https://i.prcdn.co/img?regionKey=YJS...K6sh9JCQ%3d%3d

Blog Entries

For Christ's sake Alex,did he catch it on a single squatt?

Bream feeder rig Alan, so assume about 2 pound hooklength.
    I’ve not spoken to Adey about it, but heard the story and photo from his teammate, who was on the next peg.
    Apparently, when he hooked it it came straight to the surface - followed by two others of similar size!

I caught one once, about 15 years ago in a new startup commercial, actually more a day ticket lake, big shallow with lots of weeds, lillys and a couple of islands., it was about 4lb and fought like stink. Not sure I liked it, a bit primative looking, rather a big rudd or tench if I am honest which I think is what I was fishing for, caught on luncheon meat I think.
    I just looked up this place again on google and its still going but no sturgeon advertised so maybe they died or got taken out. Not sure about sturgeon in a lake, just seems not right to me like barbel in one. Still, not been back there and looks nice so might pay another visit in the summer.
    Last edited by markg; 20-02-2019 at 09:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast