peg fees

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
One of the clubs I am in has recently introduced a pegging fee for forthcoming matches on the club waters...……… These are the matches that are club matches for members only. The vets Thursday matches have yet to be decided, they will most likely do most of theirs on commercials now.Six vets have said they are not fishing due to pegging fee. I have been asked to be match secretary again for the sunday matches, attendance on these dwindled last year to the extent they stopped doing them.The club want to try and get them up and running again and generate interest in them, yet they are going to impose a pegging fee. The amount is immaterial , it is the principle. Why should members of the club who have paid their subs be penalized for fishing a five hour match,? as one member said matchmen have to pay a pegging fee for five hours, yet some members can bivvy up for 48 hours and not be charged a pitch fee. Do any other clubs charge their own members to fish matches on their club waters. These matches are members only and are not opens.

Reaction score
I read on a club's website I'm a member of that a guy(proud he was)had been bivvied up for four days and caught seven carp from doubles to mid-twenties,wtf,as you say a peg fee is a bit steep for members of the club to put up,maybe the vets ought to just turn up and have a knock up...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The thought of a knock up has crossed my mind, we cant use keepnets except in club matches
so it would have to be done by the number of fish caught. another option is to put them put them all on a commercial the club rents a pool off, as far as I am aware a pegging fee could not be implemented on there. We could book the matches on a rival clubs water for 3 quid per match peg fee and have better fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What exactly is the rationale behind the club introducing the pegging fee? I've never heard of a club charging a pegging fee to its own members. Different ball game if the match were open to non-members. Without any insight into the thoughts of the committee, you have to wonder if they don't really want any matches on their waters.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have posted on the club forum "If the club are charging Peg fees for members to fish matches on their own waters, Are the club going to be renting the waters out for outside match bookings " I have had no reply yet. the club used to have a thriving match section, entering the nationals, winter and summer leagues, The winner of a club series used to be entered into The King of Clubs match in Ireland, this was pid for by the club.
Over the years the matches seem to have dwindled at club level,

Reaction score
I believe more and more clubs are being run by the 'specimen' side of the sport,unlike years ago when most of the committee were matchmen,so it goes hand in hand that matches are taking pegs up that people can bivvy up in for two days,without matches it would appease a large part of the membership.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If all those entering the matches are indeed members of the club, then what is the rationalle for instigating a "pegging fee" . . . amd what happens to the money?

It sounds, Prima facie, as nothing but an excuse to milk the match anglers of more money to me . . .

Is this "fee" in the existing club rules?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If all those entering the matches are indeed members of the club, then what is the rationalle for instigating a "pegging fee" . . . amd what happens to the money?

It sounds, Prima facie, as nothing but an excuse to milk the match anglers of more money to me . . .

Is this "fee" in the existing club rules?

No , it was a committee decision, it must have been made after the last vets/pensioners series of matches, because a lot of those did not know about it being implemented for their forthcoming series. The committee is 99.9% made up of specimen anglers, the other .1% just fishes for anything that swims. I have been asked to go on the committee, I did a spell some years ago and resigned. This is the same committee that brought the bait boat rule in. As for making money off the matchmen I would say they would get 110 quid at the most of the sunday series, and maybe 130 quid off the vets, I have still had no reply over the club renting waters out off the committee. The peg fee money goes to the club, for what purpose I have no idea. Some of the people who fish the matches are bailiffs or waterkeepers who do estates work. We do this without getting expenses for petrol. Most of us get a free licence, The amount of petrol I have put in my car could have for my licence ten times over. Yet we are expected to pay extra to fish our own waters.

Reaction score
Just rubbish to me,sound like you have a government official on the committee trying to eke out some more dosh for expenses,winky thing here...

mikench

Reaction score
"...and clubs wonder why memberships are declining! I wouldn't pay a pegging fee on principle but then again I wouldn't be interested in a match !

Keith M

Reaction score
Sounds like they are trying to discourage match fishing on their water regardless as to what they’re actually saying up front.

Can’t you propose that the rule is changed at your next AGM? and get a few Matchman to attend the AGM so that you get a few members backing you up with the vote?

Getting a club member to pay a pegging fee for a clubs members only match, which is fished on the clubs own water, is clearly taking the P***.

One of my clubs has a few ‘annual team inter club matches’; a couple of which are on our water and the others on other clubs venues; and non of the clubs have to pay pegging fees on any of the other’s venues at all, only pools money which is all shared out to the winners.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Even though I have never fished a match and have no desire to do so I would n't want to be a member of a club where a crazy rule like that was put in place!
I'd be happy to see a club like that go under!!

silvers

Reaction score
I've not fished pure club matches in donkey's years - as both the clubs I'm in now only run opens or team leagues.
However - I'm pretty sure that back in the 80s Vauxhall AC used to charge a nominal peg fee on club matches to cover admin and raise funds. iirc it was £1 or £2 when the all-in was £10.
Having said that the club matches were the same size and people as the opens - so perhaps the mentality was "what's the difference".
Or alternatively I have not remembered correctly.

Reaction score
Wrong club I think Alex,Vauxhall club matches back then were a fiver and I certainly don't remember that levy and I would have been fishing a few as it was my starter club where I began match fishing,good old **** Morris,**** Bird and his son Mark,plus many more. I bumped into a face from the last in Bedford a week or so ago,Lino Lichelli,hasn't fished for twenty years he said,wow...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The reason is " to close the water so it is exclusive for the match" they say it will be extra revenue for the club, they reckon on 400 quid for the year from both the vets matches and the sunday matches, The sunday matches are once a month, the vets are each week. it is the first time in 30 years of fishing matches on and off with this club that a pegging fee has been mentioned to my knowledge. If they want extra revenue, the should revise the membership classes. At present it is a family membership, that covers wife and 2 kids up to the age of 16, and includes a night permit. A member who has no family that fishes and does not night fish pays the same amount as a family.

Richox12

Reaction score
Never heard of a club charging its own members a peg fee on its own waters apart from charity matches. Open match = peg fee. Outside club booking = peg fee. Own club match members only = nothing.

Is the club that desperate for a few hundred quid ????? It will have the opposite effect to raising funds.

bracket

Reaction score
When I began match fishing, in the late 1950's, there was no such thing as permanent pegs. The stretch would be pegged out prior to the match, normally by a club bailiff, who would require recompense, hence the nominal charge of a pegging fee. Since the advent of permanent pegs I have never been charged a pegging fee on a club match. It would be interesting to know how this is justified. As an aside, on one Trent venue we would fish, the pegging was so tight we were sure the bailiff had his ankles shackled two foot apart. Pete.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
A few pleasure anglers were moaning that 6 anglers had closed a 15 peg water for a match, I must point out we had around 12 - 14 anglers in the series , sometimes due to work commitments,holidays etc the numbers dropped for a match. The waters used were approved by the club for the matches. Now they have brought the peg fee in and the same waters will more than likely be used, it could backfire on them, The peg fee is for exclusive use of the water for the duration of the match plus weigh in. So in effect 6 anglers, pay 12 quid peg fee and close a 15 peg water for duration of the match and the pleasure anglers have no say in the matter.