Weed free rivers and lakes around the Earith / St Ives area in Cambridgeshire

dac1

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to do the odd bit of fishing in/around the Earith area (near St Ives) in Cambridgeshire, however the stretches of river and lakes I've viewed are full of weed making it unfishable. Please can someone suggest some river stretches or lakes in this area that are weed free?

I will only be doing float/ledger fishing looking for the Tench, Bream, Perch, etc.. Nothing big. I'm just looking to unwind and relax so if the suggested places are tranquil (away from noise and people) that would be ideal. The closer to Earith the better as I would prefer not to travel further than necessary.

PM if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dac1

Reaction score
Pretty much a year to the day but... BUMP :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Perhaps FM may be a little short on anglers in your area dac1 otherwise you should have had replies.

I have fished the river near St Ives in the distant past and caught lots of Roach on Hemp and caster but it wasn't that weeded up then, so I can’t really help you I’m afraid,

Hope you get a reply this year :)

Keith

dac1

Reaction score
Well it's that time of the year again when I look to get the tackle ready - hence bumping this post.

It's a shame that, it would seem, all venues (rivers/lakes) near me are full of weed, serious weed. Is the weed problem something that has grown just in the last decade or so? If yes, what's the reason for it?

Are you aware of any forums that may allow me to ask my question specifically to my area, a forum which has sub sections to locality?

Thanks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just so you don't get to feeling that you are being deliberately ignored, I can't give you specific venues It's not an area that I'm desperately familiar with. However, what little knowledge I do have would lead me to believe that most lowland rivers (like your local Great Ouse), drains and more natural stillwaters are very likely to be weedy. You've got some rather nice gravel pit fisheries within spitting distance of Earith, but I'll bet many of them can get rather weedy. If you'd like to avoid weedy venues you may be best served looking for a commercial stillwater or a river/drain that's faily busy with boat activity.

Here are three venues that aren't a million miles away from you.
Lawn Farm Fishery :: Home

Match Fishing Lake Map | Float Fish Farm & Fishery

About Us - Rookery Waters

The best bet for you will be to ask at your local tackle shop. If they can't tell you about local waters, no one can.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The weed may only be in the margins where there’s more light. The river Ouse is quite big there, try a feeder out in the deeper middle.

Been to Lawn farm a couple of times, good silvers fishing in winter on the big lake.

john step

Reaction score
You are not alone in having weed problems. The Witham is a pig nowadays with weed growth. I think it may be down to fertilisers draining off the land.
The solution may be to get a weed drag and clear a spot a walk away from any car park and bait it up every few days. The fish will keep it clear if you keep it up.
I would guess there are not many river fishermen where you describe so a spot away from prying eyes could be a good bet for the whole summer.
Anyway why just get the gear out in the warmer months. I bet there is fishing to be had in the winter there especially for pike.
Also as Sam says there are noted gravel pits in the area. I have not fished there in a long time but I am sure some still exist.

I have just looked at THE LONDON ANGLERS website. They still have miles of water on the Great Ouse at Portholme Meadow ( Huntingdon) and some on the Cam plus lakes.
Take a look at the website. Its a lot of fishing for £1 a week.

Last edited:

dac1

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies.

Yes, Porthomle Meadow has been suggested previously, however I was hoping for something closer as I'd be cycling to the venue.

The LAA has a stretch of river right by where I live. Unfortunately, is it absolutely full of 'eel grass'. I walked a good stretch of it (a couple of miles) and it was just full of the stuff.
For some reason, the local lakes (not all) tend to be full of 'Variable-Leaf Milfoil'. And I mean seriously full.
With the Eel Grass and Variable-Leaf Milfoil weed present there would be no point fishing them. I remember fishing years ago and never has a problem with weed, but over the last decade I've seen the stuff take over.

Why would 'low level' rivers become weedy? I presume the opposite is high level rivers. What is different about low level rivers?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Why would 'low level' rivers become weedy? I presume the opposite is high level rivers. What is different about low level rivers?

I'm assuming you confused lowland with low level. Lowland rivers are likely to be slower, richer in nutrients and have a sedimentary bed that's more conducive to excessive weed growth. Rivers flowing out of upland areas are more likely to be faster flowing, have less nutrients and flow over bedrock or cobbles, especially in their higher reaches. Such rivers are much less prone to significant weed growth.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Didn't the water boards/authorities used to cut the weed on the Witham, Welland, Nene (possiblt the Ouse) etc.? Weedcutting pretty much stopped completely on my loacl river the hants. Avon, Piddle and Frome in about 2010, partly on environmental grounds, partly to save money.

john step

Reaction score
Didn't the water boards/authorities used to cut the weed on the Witham, Welland, Nene (possiblt the Ouse) etc.? Weedcutting pretty much stopped completely on my loacl river the hants. Avon, Piddle and Frome in about 2010, partly on environmental grounds, partly to save money.

On the Witham they seem to go along with the weed cutting boat and cut the top 2 o 3 feet off in about 6/8 foot of water. Its very deceptive for the uninitiated who would think the river is clear. Under that clear space is a jungle.
There are spots and ways and means however. I dont know how much experience the poster has had but I did mention a drag and I bet there are ways to catch despite the weed. I wonder if a case of fatalism is there.