What Killed This Chub?

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Spotted while out walking the banks of a small river near Alrewas, Staffordshire, was the rather grim sight of a Chub's head, and a few scales scattered about on a patch of reeds beside the river.
IMG_2493.jpg
Would this be the work of an Otter?
IMG_2492.jpg
The inner Quincy M.E. in me (one for the older readers) would say that it's time of death was probably earlier that morning, as it was still very fresh and not dried out at all.
Based on my PB Chub of just over 2 1/2 LB, I would say it was certainly bigger than that, maybe 3LB at a guess. too big for a Cormorant surely?
This would suggest that it's not unheard of for Otters to be in the shire,

Otter video 'very good news' for Staffordshire river - BBC News

it also states that they are nocturnal, so my Quincy moment may be a bit innacurate.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking at that anything could have eaten it. If a fish dies or is killed by something and left on the bank lots of other creatures will have a go. Crows, magpies, foxes, ferral cats, rats mice etc etc so no one can actually say for sure what killed the fish at that stage.

nottskev

Reaction score
Let's not blame predation. Looks like suicide to me.

steve2

Reaction score
What killed this fish, it could be anything?
Fish die every day just like every other animal and human on this planet. A dead fish, animal or human is a meal to most other creatures nothing is wasted.

john step

Reaction score
Could be anything. The carp/pike/tench I have seen that were ottered had just the middle section and guts area eaten with the head and tail end left not all eaten like this chub.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A few mink.? and looking at the 2 photos it looks as if someone has disturbed the body,

The head is on its side in one pic and upright in another, Has the killer done this to put a false trail out, Has the river asked for no publicity until the killer/s have been found ( A small river near Alrewas ) could mean anything .

sam vimes

Reaction score
What killed it is nigh on impossible to say, it might have simply rolled over and died. What ate it is also impossible to say. Any fish that ends up on dry land will be snaffled by any number of different animals and birds.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I think the fact that its head became detached from its body didn't help

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I think the fact that its head became detached from its body didn't help

Cue the James Bond/Austin Powers film style, dreadful puns along the lines of . . . "He wanted to get ahead in life' "Not a good time to lose your head" Etc. :D