Bakers meaty Meals for small dogs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone tried these for surface fishing?

Tested a lump this morning, soft and sponge like, very beefy smelling and most importantly has floated in my cup of water all day. Same size and shape as a mixer.

AkGUSrg.jpg

I had fish and chips for dinner.

Keith M

Reaction score
They look and sound good so what size hooks would you mount these on? and would they stand up to heavy casting?

Keith

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They look and sound good so what size hooks would you mount these on? and would they stand up to heavy casting?

Keith

That’s the big question, I’m not sure if a baitband won’t cut through the lump, a quick stop may work better. I’ll try that test tonight. I’d most probably opt for a size 12 hook.

mikench

Reaction score
A hair rig definately and a size 12 hook as a minimum. Our dog liked them but they gave him eczema.:(

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I have used their bigger brothers for years now, chicken flavour preferably. Even tried them with a fly rod and gave myself both tennis and golf elbow. Pity is, we no longer have a dog to share them with so a packet would last me forever. Hook them how you like, they don't stay in the water too long so don't worry about them coming off the hook, 5 minutes is all you need, but they will stay on for hours.

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve used these for a few years now, just side hook them and they cast quite a way, caught plenty of carp on them, they work as a pop up too, about six inch of the bottom worked ok, caught tench as well this way.

The bad one

Reaction score
Used them, the soft ones, as an alternative to Crust when chub fishing. I think my first 6 lb chub was taken on a dark red one. Work well on a 4s hook with biccy shoved right up to the eye of the hook.

daniel121

Reaction score
Best dog biscuits I've found are the cheap Morrisons ones, about 2 quid a sack.

So that's a no S63

mikench

Reaction score
as for the dog skin thing... find wheat free dog food...

I did. Thoroughgoods which stopped the excema and the dog was fine! Sadly he died 4 years ago but I recommend James Thoroughgoods dog foods for dogs:)

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a box whilst in Sainsbury's and will try them instead of spam just for the hell of it! They will last forever so if anyone wants some just let me know. They should hair rig and hook easily and can be cut smaller! I may end up giving them to the neighbours dog though.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Did you get the small dog or larger adult bag Mike?

This has got me thinking that an oxo cube crumbed and combined with groundbait or paste is worth trying.

mikench

Reaction score
I got the small dog meaty bits. They are not quite a cube being 15mm x 10mm approximately . I'll send you some John quite happily.:) I got the beef variety as they didn't have the chicken. They are a dark brown red colour.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got the small dog meaty bits. They are not quite a cube being 15mm x 10mm approximately . I'll send you some John quite happily.:) I got the beef variety as they didn't have the chicken. They are a dark brown red colour.

Thanks Mike, already bought a bag, just looking for the larger chunks which I can only find in a bulk bag at the moment.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sainsbury's had them John.

They only had the 2.5kg bag which is a bit too much doggy food if the carp aren’t having it, been in Morrisons today and they had 1kg boxes, sorted.

The larger chunks are quite heavy and will cast some distance when freelining and will take a big hook and still float for far more time than I’ll have it out in the water before gulls or ducks home in on it. Popped up might be very tempting for the chub too.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought the 1kg box for £3. Curiously someone on eBay was selling a used box and after 5 bids it sold for £2.60 plus £2.50 postage!!!!!!

I just do not understand it. Who would pay that?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought the 1kg box for £3. Curiously someone on eBay was selling a used box and after 5 bids it sold for £2.60 plus £2.50 postage!!!!!!

I just do not understand it. Who would pay that?

An angler that lives in a remote spot with his own lake, postie visits once a week, £2-50 p and p...a bargain.:)

mikench

Reaction score
I tried these yesterday hair rigged and they do float and swell up! I didn't catch on them or even had a bite but I kept the old nugget after immersion to see if it stayed firm! It kept its shape but quickly disintegrated when touched! I reckon you could safely keep it on the hook for 20 Minutes max . I fished dead depth on the float with a shot about 6" from the hook so probably popped up !