What video would you like me to make

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, and sorry if I came over a bit ranty… I'd probably just spent too long reading the latest non-efforts of our current crop of so called politicians to be constructive!

Ok, so for what it's worth, I tend to find gear reviews pretty boring on you tube, with the exceptions of things like shelters or bigger bits of kits where a new mechanism or piece of technology is truly making the product different. Otherwise, if it's a reel or a hook or brand of line, it's not going to make particularly interesting viewing.

I'm also pretty uninterested when someone spends 8 minutes of a 12 minute video "talking you through my set up..." Again, I just find it really boring. And more importantly, it could actually be done in about 30 seconds.

What I do enjoy - and what I so rarely see (because I'm guessing, it's a very hard moment to capture) is the moment, the take, the bite, the run.... the transition from the world being at total peace to all hell breaking loose as a fish is hooked. The moment that a barbel rod goes from straight to bent 90 degrees in a blink of an eye; the moment that a pike float starts to move sideways before being towed ominously beneath the surface (the "barrel in Jaws" moment). The moment when a crucian angler's float top stops dancing and finally dips low enough to mean that the strike meets positive resistance... or a carp's mouth appearing from beneath to suck down a series of dog biscuits, the last of which is also loaded with a hook.

For me, these are the moments I would like to see represented on screen. And time and again they're not, we have someone tell us all about the gear and bait they're going to use and then we cut to them playing the fish.

However, having said all that, I do realise that capturing those moments - whilst actually fishing yourself - must be pretty much impossible. So maybe here's something to think about - find someone else to go fishing with and then just film them. Maybe then you'll have the opportunity to really concentrate on making the filming fantastic. The biggest issue I see on youtube is people trying to film and fish, where inevitably the filming comes off second and the end-product - in terms of something worth watching - suffers.

I have an 11 year old son who absolutely loves all the Carl and Alex videos (are you familiar with them?) The difference there is that at hardly any point do they both try to fish - there's always one of them concentrating on making the filming as good as it can be whilst the other one fishes. And it works really well.

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Hi Jim, thanks for that... you must have been reading my mind. I actually was out at the weekend trying to film a pike taking a deadbait.... the wind made the water too coloured and a tree came down in the swim beside me, so I called it off!! Stay tuned I now have a mission for some underwater takes!!