Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default To all the wannabes .

I was chatting to a young match angler yesterday and I mentioned a few famous match anglers who were around when I was enjoying fishing them myself, notably Billy lane and Ivan marks .
    I was really surprised when he said he had never heard of either.
    Both these guys were revered as amongst the best around in their day with hundreds of BIG wins between them.
    Pursuing it a little further I mentioned Dick Walker and met with the same response.
    So, only maybe one generation gone or thereabouts and Angling superstars are all but forgotten.
    What chance today's anglers ??

Default Re: To all the wannabes .

Mick I think you may have had the same vacant response if you had discussed from the same period, rock stars, bands, football players, cricketers, politicians in fact anyone or anything. Youth is wasted on the young and today's youth are particularly bereft of knowledge of our history.

Not surprised in the slightest don’t think I would recognize any of today’s top anglers if I trip over them in the street
    This now the era of celebrity.
    Celebrity it seems is all that they know about now.
    Those instant do nothings that turn up on television and earn millions for being a celebrity, what ever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Mick I think you may have had the same vacant response if you had discussed from the same period, rock stars, bands, football players, cricketers, politicians in fact anyone or anything. Youth is wasted on the young and today's youth are particularly bereft of knowledge of our history.
    Exactly that. I use to work with a young girl aged 28, I was staggered at the number of people she had never heard of, only a few come readily to mind, Ken Dodd and Dire Straits. She never watched any news or read a paper, just spent the day on WhatsApp and Facebook.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I am always staggered by the number of young people who have never heard of me !

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

I'm a legend in my own lunchtime .

The harsh reality is that we are getting old. I'm 47 this year, younger than plenty on here. Richard Walker died in 1985 when I was about 13. I'd heard of him, but the majority of my awareness came from older anglers (and angling writers) reverence of him. I'd actually expect the majority of anglers of much less than 40 to have little knowledge of Richard Walker.

I've never been big on heroes, angling or otherwise. However, I would have recognised a fair number of well known anglers of the late eighties into the nineties. I'd struggle with those that have come along since the turn of the century. I might get as far as "blond haired geeeeezer that works for Nash"(or similar), but I don't generally recall their names. This is largely the other side of the same coin.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

As ever, very nicely summed up, Chris. I can't remember that blond haired blokes name either...its Alan something I think but more than that about him I couldn't tell you. Nor do I particularly care.

I empathise with flightliner. When I was match fishing on the Trent during the 50,60 and 70's open matches were anything from 80 to 150 preggers and regularly attended by Benny and his Leigh miners, the Barnsley boys and the Leicester lads plus the odd visit from some of the Southen Softies. Even the club matches would draw 40 or 50 competitor. The standard of angling was of the highest quality and completion was fierce. The Craig was great and weekends were always a buzz. From what I glean reading present day match results it appears in the main to be about 15 guys sat around a puddle putting 200lb of fish on the pan and thinking thier brilliant. Something certainly has been lost in the evolution. This is demonsrated to me when I am approached on a local commercial and ask "how many carp you had mate?" When I reply "Thankfully none" the only response I get is a grunt and the inquirer gives a sad shake of the head and moves on thinking "He knows nowt". Well I have certainly known better. Pete.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    anything from 80 to 150 preggers
    I'm amazed you had any energy left for fishing!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast