Hints and tips

mikench

Reaction score
Having recently bought several older rods which had, shall we say, a patina of age in the form of dirty cork handles, I wanted to clean them without chemicals. Having tried a magic sponge ,widely available in supermarkets and on line, I can confirm they work a treat.

The sponge when new is white and you soak it in water and then gently rub the surface to be cleaned. The cork handles on several rods came up like new with just gentle rubbing and the sponge turned brown. A quick rinse under the tap restores its colour and it can be used again!

They last an age but I don't know how they work but, presumably, that's why they are called magic!

Sainsbury's - Please enable cookies or JavaScript

Last edited:

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Yes, we really rate magic sponges too, very useful for getting electrician’s mucky fingerprints off my newly painted walls! Unfortunately the dog thinks they’re too big and insists on shredding them at any opportunity!
Will try them on rod handles in due course, I have an old split cane rod to restore when I get a moment between restoring houses and bicycles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very clever of you Mike, how did you come to think a sponge could do the trick? My initial guess would have been to use a very fine piece of wet n dry.

BTW I bought a pack of those magic sponges for a fraction of the price from HK via our favourite online auction house.

seth49

Reaction score
Another vote for the magic sponges, I’ve used them on cork handles too, and very good they are as well.

mikench

Reaction score
John I wear Crocs clogs often and they have á white band around them! This stains quickly and I have ruined a few shirts using bleach so tried a magic sponge bought at great expense from Lakeland( I now buy from the bay) and it worked! I tried it on an old rod handle and it quickly and easily cleaned the cork without much abrasion! It is great for this task but will clean rucksacks and chairs! It also great on painted walls .

Last edited:

Reaction score
Never bloody heard of them,but will certainly give them a try.

mikench

Reaction score
Alan you can buy a dozen or so of assorted sizes of the bay quite cheaply! They can be used for any number of cleaning tasks and cleaning cork handles is just one.:)

rayner

Reaction score
The only way anything gets cleaned in our house my gaffer does it, I'll have a word regarding cork handles but I can guess what she'll say.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For cleaning off cork handles, I use wet ones/baby wipes. If you clean the corks off before they get eaten in with muck then a bit of a wipe over is all they ever need, and they stay as new looking as possible.
If you wipe the neaopren over quickly after each use it doesn't loose it's shape or become shinny looking.