Brave or Crazy?

steve2

Reaction score
I don’t know whether or not to think people are brave or crazy going fishing in this weather.
It reminds me of the time I was leaving a fishery when ice was forming on the surface of the lake. Met two anglers in the car park they had just arrived and told them the lake was starting to freeze. Their answer was we always fish on Friday nights.
Why do some put their selves through this for a fish or two, brave or just plain crazy?
I know I have been there done it and got the tee shirt but not anymore.
Each to their own, but now give me feet up in front of the tele with a cup of tea any time, there is another day tomorrow.

bullet

Reaction score
Bit of both, probably.
Once you've committed, you're going!
And tomorrow......probably work!

john step

Reaction score
Today was the coldest I have been all winter. Howling wind, torrential rain and tucked behind a well pegged down brolly.
Mad? Maybe but the car has been in dock and today was the only chance this week. I blanked. No carp. If I had had one it would have been a big one from this venue.

Did I enjoy being out in the open air instead of stuck at home. Yes of course.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Not for me....not anymore. I too have been there,done that and got the t shirt but the older I get the more physically demanding I find it all. I've always felt the cold buf I feel it more than ever now.

And in any case....being retired I can go whenever I like so why go when conditions are rubbish and/or the weather inclement ? I've never needed it that badly.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Most times I fish in conditions which most would think crazy are match fixtures. Once I commit to attending any such fixture I wouldn't dream of bottling out.
It is annoying when others do it and can ruin the day for the diehards who share my principles.
If I had planned a pleasure session today I would have probably thought twice before going, or perhaps chosen a more sheltered spot.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm certainly not one of the 'stick my underpants on my head and two pencils up my nostrils' brigade...................plenty of time to fish on my terms..

mikench

Reaction score
There will always be another day. In my limited experience poor weather ie torrential rain , wind and severe cold do not mean a good day for fishing but the reverse. I struggled with the wind yesterday and that was reputed to be around 20mph. Tomorrow it's predicted to be at least double that. I will be staying home.

I do admire stoicism and fortitude however even if it isn't for me.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If fishing in foul conditions brings pleasure then it’s not crazy or brave for those involved.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's the volume of water pushing through the river that will stop me from going fishing....plus the wind, and the rain lol.

I had a ride on the push iron today and riding agaist the wind was hard work, a bit nerve wreckin' too!

seth49

Reaction score
Used to fish in any weather, but not any more, I am lucky that now I’m retired, I’ll just go another day, I fish for pleasure, and don’t enjoy getting cold and wet.

It’s no fun if your not enjoying it, and apart from eight years, I worked outside all my working life, including twenty four hour shifts when I worked for the water board, when I did a weeks standby every six weeks, which could mean working twenty four hours, eight hours off, and then back for another twenty four hours, all week in bad weather, so I’ve had my fill of being out in all weathers.

Another Dave

Reaction score
If fishing in foul conditions brings pleasure then it’s not crazy or brave for those involved.

Especially if the mother in law is round for the day. If anything it's sensible and cowardly at the same time.

carpinbob

Reaction score
I don’t mind what the weather is like apart from howling wind and thunderstorms, I just like being on the bank.

Reaction score
But what's mad about being out in strong winds and rain,it's only weather,I was out yesterday,when the wind changed towards me and became uncomfortable I packed,before that very enjoyable,I wouldn't fish under large trees etc,but it's like today,I've been for a ninety plus minute walk,through some woods,but I like being outdoors in any weather...

flightliner

Reaction score
I went yesterday, the wind on my back soon died away and even the sun came out in the afternoon allowing me to pack away with my gear all dried out.
Overall I enjoyed myself even tho I never had a bite it mattered little as I may do next time out (tomorrow).
Weather good or bad is what you make of it and over the years I've experienced most of each with varying degrees of success .
So long as I'm not taking foolhardy decisions and I keep myself safe I'm happy to continue having my wife confirm on such occasions that I'm mad!

rayner

Reaction score
When I had bills to pay the only way was to work. Then I used to have every second Saturday off for fishing, Sundays was always without fail a family day.
The Saturdays I fished the weather was of no consequence. The only time I missed was if the weather affected driving, mostly heavy snow.
Now I can fish when I like so chose to fish when it suits my age and condition. One things for sure I don't miss the cold one jot.

rich66

Reaction score
The weather doesn’t bother me too much, don’t like fishing in a wind though.
I find I don’t catch as much in windy weather or heavy rain.

I’m still in the rat race so if I need or want to go fishing I have to go in not the best conditions sometimes.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Most times I fish in conditions which most would think crazy are match fixtures. Once I commit to attending any such fixture I wouldn't dream of bottling out.
It is annoying when others do it and can ruin the day for the diehards who share my principles.
If I had planned a pleasure session today I would have probably thought twice before going, or perhaps chosen a more sheltered spot.

A laudable attitude which I can only applaud....but you are still a nutter !

nottskev

Reaction score
I was out today on a big, swollen river, and it's quite exciting sat out in the wild weather, with the trees thrashing and the water roughed up then flattened by huge gusts of wind. But a) I didn't stay too long and b) it helps if you're doing something simple, like fishing a 2 oz feeder close in for fish that will pull your rod in. I can't imagine myself fishing a 2bb waggler on a canal in such conditions these days. Ordinary miserable weather is just a pita, but spectacularly bad weather has an appeal of its own.