Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brave or Crazy?

Default Brave or Crazy?

I don’t know whether or not to think people are brave or crazy going fishing in this weather.
    It reminds me of the time I was leaving a fishery when ice was forming on the surface of the lake. Met two anglers in the car park they had just arrived and told them the lake was starting to freeze. Their answer was we always fish on Friday nights.
    Why do some put their selves through this for a fish or two, brave or just plain crazy?
    I know I have been there done it and got the tee shirt but not anymore.
    Each to their own, but now give me feet up in front of the tele with a cup of tea any time, there is another day tomorrow.

Default Re: Brave or Crazy?

Bit of both, probably.
    Once you've committed, you're going!
    And tomorrow......probably work!

Today was the coldest I have been all winter. Howling wind, torrential rain and tucked behind a well pegged down brolly.
    Mad? Maybe but the car has been in dock and today was the only chance this week. I blanked. No carp. If I had had one it would have been a big one from this venue.

Did I enjoy being out in the open air instead of stuck at home. Yes of course.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Not for me....not anymore. I too have been there,done that and got the t shirt but the older I get the more physically demanding I find it all. I've always felt the cold buf I feel it more than ever now.

And in any case....being retired I can go whenever I like so why go when conditions are rubbish and/or the weather inclement ? I've never needed it that badly.

Most times I fish in conditions which most would think crazy are match fixtures. Once I commit to attending any such fixture I wouldn't dream of bottling out.
    It is annoying when others do it and can ruin the day for the diehards who share my principles.
    If I had planned a pleasure session today I would have probably thought twice before going, or perhaps chosen a more sheltered spot.

I'm certainly not one of the 'stick my underpants on my head and two pencils up my nostrils' brigade...................plenty of time to fish on my terms..
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

There will always be another day. In my limited experience poor weather ie torrential rain , wind and severe cold do not mean a good day for fishing but the reverse. I struggled with the wind yesterday and that was reputed to be around 20mph. Tomorrow it's predicted to be at least double that. I will be staying home.

I do admire stoicism and fortitude however even if it isn't for me.

If fishing in foul conditions brings pleasure then it’s not crazy or brave for those involved.

It's the volume of water pushing through the river that will stop me from going fishing....plus the wind, and the rain lol.

I had a ride on the push iron today and riding agaist the wind was hard work, a bit nerve wreckin' too!

Used to fish in any weather, but not any more, I am lucky that now I’m retired, I’ll just go another day, I fish for pleasure, and don’t enjoy getting cold and wet.

It’s no fun if your not enjoying it, and apart from eight years, I worked outside all my working life, including twenty four hour shifts when I worked for the water board, when I did a weeks standby every six weeks, which could mean working twenty four hours, eight hours off, and then back for another twenty four hours, all week in bad weather, so I’ve had my fill of being out in all weathers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast